Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sorry - food again

Does anyone have any experience, good or bad, with Pure Vita Grain Free Salmon? I have a dog that cannot have potatoes, rice or barley. We were fine and dandy on California Natural Grain Free Salmon and Pea....until it was recalled....

Re: Sorry - food again

How about Dr Tim's food?

Dr. Tim's won't work - each variety has either potato, rice or barley.
Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Dr. Tims Pursuit does not

At Potomac, I received a sample of Pro Plan's new adult GRAIN FREE formula.
http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/select-adult-grain-free-formula/

It is a chicken based.

Pursuit has brown rice and rice bran in it, according to the Dr. Tim website. This food thing is a real pain.
Will check the Purina suggestion.

Am going to try the Purina! He also cannot eat turkey or venison, but chicken is fine.
Thank you!

What about CANINE CAVIAR?

I just went through a series of test to find my boy cannot have potatoes, egg, brewers yeast or beet pulp. We just ordered a bag of Canine Caviar and will start him on it as soon as it shows up. Came recommended by his breeder and it was one of TWO foods I could find that met the criteria.

Have you checked out Orijen or Natures Variety Instinct kibble? I don't think there are potatoes in either of those grain free formulas. So many of the more economical grain free foods are full of potato, or pea starch as a filler.
Kim S.

I really sympathize with all who have allergy problems but what is going on these days? 30 years ago we had one or two dry dog foods to choose from, any dog could eat them and our dogs always got whatever was left over from dinner. I think that our dogs are suffering due to over innoculation, early spay/neuter and other environmental issues.......their immune systems are compromised due to all of this.

To Another Breeder - I agree with you! I remember how excited everyone, including the dogs, was when Gainesburgers came out! eeewwww.....
I am just catching up on this thread and will check out the other suggestions. Thank you very much!

Another Breeder .....
I really sympathize with all who have allergy problems but what is going on these days? 30 years ago we had one or two dry dog foods to choose from, any dog could eat them and our dogs always got whatever was left over from dinner. I think that our dogs are suffering due to over innoculation, early spay/neuter and other environmental issues.......their immune systems are compromised due to all of this.

I can only speak for my dog. But he was not an early neuter (4yrs before he was neutered). We only do the every 3 yr vaccines on him. He also did not develope ANY of these problems until he was almost 10 years of age. Food I can control. Now the dust mites are another problem.
I think it is just one of those things. I've never had a dog with allergies before. Ever.

But I think it might go back to quality. We put hormones, antibiotics and garbage on everything these days. Years ago, 30+ it was not that bad! My grandparents dogs lived to be 14 and up and they were fed kibble and table scraps. But think about it. Were were using hormones in chicken then? They grew their own veggies.
In the past 2 years I notices a HUGE difference in the quality of my OWN life after cutting out as much processed foods, sugar, etc and I eat about 70-90% organic when I can and we raised our own grass fed cow and pig last year. I have not been sick in over a year. Coming from someone who use to be sick every 2-3 months for most of my adult life.

So maybe, just maybe making these changed in his diet I will see some improvement. I cannot do much for the dust mites, but I can change his food and the "environment" his food comes from and that just may make a difference. If so, I will switch the rest of the "herd" over.