Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Price for a stud fee?

To go along with the previous post (which was not made by me but I found interesting), what is the going rate for a stud fee?
I have recently heard of certain breeders asking $1200-$1500 and I am still at $1000 and wondering if I should be asking more for my Grand CH (BISS) male with all his final clearances including a clear echo?????

And what about a male with finals but not yet a CH?

Or a male on prelims?

Re: Price for a stud fee?

My Ch. boy with all of his clearances , is going up this year to $1200 , that's what I get for puppies . My boy is a a known producer of Specialty winning get.

As long as the stud owner is willing to do an up front service fee of say $200 and the rest due when the puppys are born I don't have a problem paying $1200 for a stud fee on a proven male.

I have been paying $1,000 to $1,200. I would not pay anymore right now. Some of the best fit in this range. Some are BISS, some Champions, some not. Don't care if champion or not, want the right dog for my female. Not using any stud on Pre lims, just my thing. Let them get proven. Like to see some get out in shows or working first. Stud fee with the up front $200/300 works great for everyone. Having a stud if you want to go else where for a second or repeat you are welcome to go. Don't want to be locked in. This is how I see it.

I agree that I prefer to pay the $200 to $300 service fee upfront over paying out the $1,000 to $1,200 stud fee upfront. It has come to where I have to many repeat stud breedings owed to me that I have forked out the big bucks for and got nothing. What I have found with *some* of the bigger time stud owners is once you go back and request your repeat breeding from them, they become UNREACHABLE. They are all willing to ship when you are sending out your check for the initial breeding, but when it comes to the repeat breeding if the first one misses, suddenly some of them are not in such a hurry to accomodate you like the first time. I have about 4 repeats studs owed back to me by now and I would much rather have paid a service fee and lost out a few hundred bucks rather than a thousand.

Even worse is the stud dog owner who owes you the breeding and when you contact them when your girl comes into season and ask if their stud is available and they say "yes absolutely" send me the shipping boxes and extender. Then you send it to them and when you call with your bitches pg numbers they say, "oh I won't be home to ship sorry to bad for you" and they don't even return your boxes. That is the real loser breeder stud owner who lacks integrity and good ethics.

Here is a word of advice to all you newer breeders, don't have very high expectations of *some* of these bigger used stud owners they are not all they make themselves out to be. They are all about the $$$$ and don't care if you get your breeding or not.

It's actually more than just a few hundred dollars worth on Stud fee when the breeding didn't work. It's Progesterone fees, Fed X for 2 shipments, Extenders, Boxes, One time the stud dog owner charged me $500 service fee. We got 1 puppy via C-section. That was worth it.

I have heard this said by a couple of different breeders lately. That is sad. If you have a stud dog and offer him, you should be ready to ship. No excuses. It does cost alot to get a litter these days. I am glad the two different times I had to repeat, the stud owners were just as nice as the first. And don't think the word does not get around when you are very nice or hard to work with.

I WILL NOT pay full stud fees upfront anymore. It is better to have the option to go somewhere else for a new breeding. I also feel that the stud owner will make a better effort to get the best shipping if there is still money pending on that.

If you want to charge $1200 for a stud fee, your dog better produce good. I have not seen stud owners charging over $1200.

Charging $400-$500 stud fees is a little up there. I do not like that, but I did it once because I wanted to breed to that particular dog. It was a top producer.

GCH and full clearances, don't mean top producer. That is just the beginning of a stud dog career. Breed the dog, get puppies in the ring, get Champion get, and get his OFA page with at least 10-20 offspring with all good clearances and then you can ask for top $$$.

I try to get the best deal I can for the stud service, but breeding to the best male for my girl is my main goal.

That is so wrong for a stud dog owner to back out on shipping after agreeing to it. There is a lot that goes into planning a breeding and matching the right stud with your girl. It is just not right after paying for progesterone testing and shipping that they say they are not available. I would never deal with that person again!

Breeder
I WILL NOT pay full stud fees upfront anymore. It is better to have the option to go somewhere else for a new breeding. I also feel that the stud owner will make a better effort to get the best shipping if there is still money pending on that.

If you want to charge $1200 for a stud fee, your dog better produce good. I have not seen stud owners charging over $1200.

Charging $400-$500 stud fees is a little up there. I do not like that, but I did it once because I wanted to breed to that particular dog. It was a top producer.

GCH and full clearances, don't mean top producer. That is just the beginning of a stud dog career. Breed the dog, get puppies in the ring, get Champion get, and get his OFA page with at least 10-20 offspring with all good clearances and then you can ask for top $$$.

I try to get the best deal I can for the stud service, but breeding to the best male for my girl is my main goal.

I WILL NOT pay the full stud fee up front either, never, the service contract fee is more fair. Repeat breedings won't work if it's the last breeding for an older bitch or if the stud isn't a good match for the other bitches you do have. I change my mind about using that same stud dog the next heat anyway.

There was a dog that I really wanted to use once but the owner wouldn't do a service fee contract. I looked elsewhere. I was disappointed at first but I got over it quickly when I found a dog I actually liked better and once I've been told that a stud fee arrangement isn't possible I don't go back to see what that breeder has going on for my future breedings because I don't want to be gouged if I have a miss. There's plenty of gorgeous studs out there.

Are you listening stud dog owners???

As a stud owner, I have a concern I'd like to mention regarding stud fees. I ask for the whole fee up front. Why? Because too many times, I've dealt with bitch owners who are relying on the money they hope to make from the sale of puppies to pay the stud fee. They offer to pay part of the fee or ask if they can wait until the puppies arrive. And as we all know, many things can go wrong that end up costing the bitch owner money. When that happens, who gets paid? The vet first, and then me maybe.
My stud contract is very clear. I try to work with people, but I've been burned more than once.

AMEN to the last post. Do you think we as stud owners , like to ask for that entire stud fee up front. NO, it is because we are last on the list to get paid. WE have no leverage to get our fee, we drop everything and get the dog collected sometimes at a moments notice, and get that shipment out , and then wait forever or not at all to get the fee. I have Vet bills to pay too, I keep my boy in top shape ,and make myself available. REally, I have a life too, I have a family, I have dogs that need my time, but I drop everything to make your shipment on time, so when I have to wait until your last puppy is sold to get my fee, I am not happy.
There is always two sides to a coin. If I know you, you get the service fee, IF I don't , then you can pay up front. If you want to move on, have at it.

Breeder

Do I understand you correctly......you will only pay $400-500 for stud service?

I charge $900.00 stud fee for my boys. This is the same for all of them. Whether they are the new kid on the block just having their first litters or the boy that has proven offspring winning in the ring. Like another mentioned, if I know someone or have worked with them before I offer the service fee. If I don't know them, I like to get the full fee upfront.

Another Breeder .....
Breeder

Do I understand you correctly......you will only pay $400-500 for stud service?

No, I said I won't regularly pay that, BUT I did once for this particular boy I really love and it paid off. I got an awesome litter.

breeder
AMEN to the last post. Do you think we as stud owners , like to ask for that entire stud fee up front. NO, it is because we are last on the list to get paid. WE have no leverage to get our fee, we drop everything and get the dog collected sometimes at a moments notice, and get that shipment out , and then wait forever or not at all to get the fee. I have Vet bills to pay too, I keep my boy in top shape ,and make myself available. Really, I have a life too, I have a family, I have dogs that need my time, but I drop everything to make your shipment on time, so when I have to wait until your last puppy is sold to get my fee, I am not happy.
There is always two sides to a coin. If I know you, you get the service fee, IF I don't , then you can pay up front. If you want to move on, have at it.

The way I see it:
The service fee is to cover your efforts for the collection and shipping. It is yours to keep no matter what happens with the girl. It is a non-risk deal for you, and that is worth more money than what you actually get. Make the service fee the amount that you feel is fair for your effort.
The rest of the fee is to cover the "effort" of the stud dog, his line, his show carrier, his clearances, your years of planned litters to get him, etc.
I do understand how frustrating must be to have people hold a payment until they must register the litter for whatever reason, but for honest people the service fee is a lot easier on our/their pockets.

Price for a stud fee?

When I bred (to a well-known breeder) in 2010, the stud charge was $1000. I paid upfront. The fed ex & box charges were I believe maybe, maybe $50.00 if that, I paid right away. It didn't take, we tried again & success. I had no problems with the stud owner AT ALL. She was wonderful!

Do I understand this thread correctly...
Some want to charge a separate service fee of $500.00
Does this service fee include the shipping?
Plus charge a stud fee of $1200-$1500.00
I am just curious and trying to understand.

Perturbed
As a stud owner, I have a concern I'd like to mention regarding stud fees. I ask for the whole fee up front. Why? Because too many times, I've dealt with bitch owners who are relying on the money they hope to make from the sale of puppies to pay the stud fee. They offer to pay part of the fee or ask if they can wait until the puppies arrive. And as we all know, many things can go wrong that end up costing the bitch owner money. When that happens, who gets paid? The vet first, and then me maybe.
My stud contract is very clear. I try to work with people, but I've been burned more than once.

This is your problem then if you make concessions. The balance of the stud fee is paid BEFORE any puppies are registered, period. If the breeder can't afford to pay the balance without selling puppies they shouldn't enter into a contract. The terms should be clear, no pay, no registration, simple. Time constraints can be added, I've seen a contract that states the breeder has one week after the birth to pay the balance. As said by someone else, the first fee should cover your troubles for sending the semen, you won't be out anything. Don't limit yourself to charging the total stud fee upfront, instead get a decent contract and stick to it. Service fees are going to become the norm if you want to get your stud used very often.

breeder
AMEN to the last post. Do you think we as stud owners , like to ask for that entire stud fee up front. NO, it is because we are last on the list to get paid. WE have no leverage to get our fee, we drop everything and get the dog collected sometimes at a moments notice, and get that shipment out , and then wait forever or not at all to get the fee. I have Vet bills to pay too, I keep my boy in top shape ,and make myself available. REally, I have a life too, I have a family, I have dogs that need my time, but I drop everything to make your shipment on time, so when I have to wait until your last puppy is sold to get my fee, I am not happy.

You DO have leverage, no pay, no registration and PLEASE, if you don't expect to drop everything to get a bitch in whelp why do you have stud dogs in the first place? That's part of the gig. Do you think breeders can plan ovulation around your schedule? Frankly, I'm sick of stud owners that can't collect and extend semen correctly. The misses that I've had have been due to inadequate semen being shipped. How many breeders want to pay the entire amount up front only to find out you (not you specifically) don't know what your doing. Now, we have to wait for another season and hope by that time you've learned your mistakes and try again. No thanks, a service fee is FAIR.

I think the litter can be registered without the stud dog's signature online. Which is why , the stud dog owner has no leverage. You should know that AKC does NOT get involved with money issues , and will NOT hold up any litter registration over a stud fee.
So, again, people on here, speaking out of turn, when they do not know what they speak of.

Newbie99
When I bred (to a well-known breeder) in 2010, the stud charge was $1000. I paid upfront. The fed ex & box charges were I believe maybe, maybe $50.00 if that, I paid right away. It didn't take, we tried again & success. I had no problems with the stud owner AT ALL. She was wonderful!

Do I understand this thread correctly...
Some want to charge a separate service fee of $500.00
Does this service fee include the shipping?
Plus charge a stud fee of $1200-$1500.00
I am just curious and trying to understand.

If a stud fee is say $1500 the stud owner may elect to charge a service fee upfront instead of the total amount, lets say $200 for this example. You pay the $200 + shipping costs (maybe even extender costs) and if your bitch produces a litter you pay the balance of $1300. Once you pay the balance your litter gets registered.

If your bitch doesn't take you can repeat the process again with the same stud or move on to another stud dog, your not obligated to repeat the breeding. A litter is defined in the contract, usually 2 or 3 live puppies. This is only one example, terms can vary and can have time constraints ie. you have one week after the litter is born to pay the balance.

breeder
I think the litter can be registered without the stud dog's signature online. Which is why , the stud dog owner has no leverage. You should know that AKC does NOT get involved with money issues , and will NOT hold up any litter registration over a stud fee.
So, again, people on here, speaking out of turn, when they do not know what they speak of.

A litter cannot be registered online without cooperation on the stud dog side. If the stud owner doesn't initiate the paperwork puppies can not be registered. Have you even gone through this process? I don't think you know what YOUR speaking of.

AKC frowns heavily on anyone holding up a registration , they do not get involved in "money owed" issues. Owed stud fees is NOT their problem, they want those litter registrations , and if you are not signing , then you /the stud dog owner are the enemy !

breeder
AKC frowns heavily on anyone holding up a registration , they do not get involved in "money owed" issues. Owed stud fees is NOT their problem, they want those litter registrations , and if you are not signing , then you /the stud dog owner are the enemy !

I don't understand your point. If you pay for a service fee you get the service. If it results in puppies you complete the contract and your puppies get registered. End of story.

If a breeder attempts to get registration without paying according to the contract they won't be able to register the puppies without the stud owners involvement. If you bred to your neighbors dog but told AKC that a CH stud was the daddy, do you think they are going to register your pups as being sired by the CH stud? No, the stud dog owner has to verify everything.

If you pay a service fee and don't pay the balance of the contract the stud dog owner doesn't have to generate the registration papers and your puppies won't get registered. You get what you pay for. Of course this IS a contract issue and NOT an AKC issue, it's none of their business and they won't get involved and why should they. If you don't pay the stud owner according to your contract you won't get registration. It's really very simple. Why do you think the stud owner is the enemy? It's the breeders fault if they don't pay up. You can't get something for nothing, try that in your local store and see if you don't get arrested.

Perturbed

You may want to be more picky about the bitch owners you let breed to your boys.

me too
breeder

A litter cannot be registered online without cooperation on the stud dog side. If the stud owner doesn't initiate the paperwork puppies can not be registered. Have you even gone through this process? I don't think you know what YOUR speaking of.

All you need if the Certificate issue date. PEOPLE, do not let anybody look at that piece of information.

I will allow a service fee but it is one of the more expensive ones compared to what other breeders charge. Why? Because my time at work is more valuable than it is collecting a stud dog. I believe I am very helpful and accomodating but a one time service fee for something that may not take is going to be commensurate with the value of my time. Also, I look at this service fee option as me financing your litter. Again, I don't mind doing it but there is a price for it.

Ultimately, I don't really care if you want to use one of my stud dogs. I didn't keep him for that anyway. If you want to use him then I will do everything I can to help you get what you want. I have been told I am very easy to work with. The only reason I am commenting on this thread is the implication that some stud dog owners are taking advantage of bitch owners who want puppies. I don't think that is as pervasive as some would portray. Someone commented that there are a bunch of beautiful stud dogs out there. That person is absolutely right. So, if you don't like the way one stud dog owner does business then go someplace else. But, don't make a personal value assesment of that person for it.

Stud
I will allow a service fee but it is one of the more expensive ones compared to what other breeders charge. Why? Because my time at work is more valuable than it is collecting a stud dog. I believe I am very helpful and accomodating but a one time service fee for something that may not take is going to be commensurate with the value of my time. Also, I look at this service fee option as me financing your litter. Again, I don't mind doing it but there is a price for it.

Ultimately, I don't really care if you want to use one of my stud dogs. I didn't keep him for that anyway. If you want to use him then I will do everything I can to help you get what you want. I have been told I am very easy to work with. The only reason I am commenting on this thread is the implication that some stud dog owners are taking advantage of bitch owners who want puppies. I don't think that is as pervasive as some would portray. Someone commented that there are a bunch of beautiful stud dogs out there. That person is absolutely right. So, if you don't like the way one stud dog owner does business then go someplace else. But, don't make a personal value assesment of that person for it.

Look at it from the breeders standpoint also. A high one time service fee for something that may not take might not commensurate with what a breeder is willing to lose. There are beautiful stud dogs out there and we WILL go someplace else if your terms are too high for what we are willing to lose. I wouldn't take it personal though, it's business.

I might agree to the service fee if no litter is produced. The way I would agree is if the total fee was paid upfront and a portion returned if no litter was produced.

Seems fair to me.

So I am reading all of this and it is sad to see such overal mistrust in the Labrador Community. When I stood a dog at Stud, I never had a problem with follow through on the Bitch owners' part. Of course he was never up for "Public Stud". I approved the bitch and the owners prior to agreeing to the breeding. If I did not "feel" this breeding was in the best interest of my boy or the breed I declined the request. If I didn't feel right about the Bitch owner I declined their request. I charged a small service fee up front for my time and care while the Bitch was at my home or if I traveled to the bitch for an AI(which I almost prefered). But when I did ship semen on the few occasions I did not charge a stud fee till puppies were produced. Heck it didn't take much effort to collect, extend, and prep the package for shipment. As far as I was concerned a Stud Fee was qualified only once puppies were produced. I guaranteed 3 live pups. 1 for you, 1 to cover your expense, and lastly 1 to cover the stud fee.
Maybe because I was a bitch owner first and my dogs are my pets first I wasn't caught up on the $$$. Sometimes the Stud fees came in fast an other time when a bitch owner had a Financial hardship it trickled in through a payment plan. In the end the money I spent on my boy for his clearances shows etc. were my choice and if I never made it back it was already money well spent. It was an honor when a breeder chose my boy to sire their litter.

I charge a $200 fee up front which does not include shipping or boxes but does include 2 collections by a repro vet (not me) experienced in collections. It also includes semen analysis prior to shipment and a 2nd analysis of some of the extended semen the next day to compare to the semen that arrived at the shipping destination. Once 2 live puppies are born, an additional $800 is due.

I will not allow my boys to be bred to bitches that do not meet my minimum requirements or who have owners I am unsure of. This may not always work but it has so far.

As far as what a dog produces is concerned, as a bitch owner, yes, I would pay more for a dog that has truly produced well with a number of different pedigrees, but the offspring are the result of both parents, whether they are all pet quality or fabulous. The stud dog deserves neither all of the blame NOR all of the credit for the offspring. It is up to the bitch owner to know how to put together a breeding and for a stud dog owner to honestly answer any questions they may have.

Stud Lee
I might agree to the service fee if no litter is produced. The way I would agree is if the total fee was paid upfront and a portion returned if no litter was produced.

Seems fair to me.

So, you either win or you either win. All losses are on the bitch owner???

breeder
You ThinK wrong Miss breeder! Without the stud dog owner signing off, there is no AKC registered litter.

Bitch or stud dog owner not doing the right thing financially or collectingshipping & progesterone testing properly is plain wrong. Its a waste of time. Both should be responsible regarding a breeding and do all they can to accomplish a normal pregnancy no matter what the stud dog fee is. Let's all work together and stop bickering.

The AKC will register the litter without the stud owner as long as the pedigree is correct. Not sure but they may require DNA. Anyway, the AKC doesn't care about your contract or agreement. They care whether the stud book is accurate. End of story.

I charge the full stud fee up front, then will either provide a repeat service or will refund all but the service fee if there is no litter. I have been burned in the past and now I am the first to get paid, not the last. If the bitch owner can't afford to pay the stud fee up front then they can't afford to whelp a litter. Period.

That is a great idea to charge up front and refund all but the service fee!! That way everyone wins. Thanks for sharing!!

Another breeder
The AKC will register the litter without the stud owner as long as the pedigree is correct. Not sure but they may require DNA. Anyway, the AKC doesn't care about your contract or agreement. They care whether the stud book is accurate. End of story.

I charge the full stud fee up front, then will either provide a repeat service or will refund all but the service fee if there is no litter. I have been burned in the past and now I am the first to get paid, not the last. If the bitch owner can't afford to pay the stud fee up front then they can't afford to whelp a litter. Period.

You want to clarify that???? You mean I can breed my dog to any random dog and give them a pedigree of the CH dog I WANT my litter to be registered to and AKC will do it??? WOW!!!

Interesting!!
That is a great idea to charge up front and refund all but the service fee!! That way everyone wins. Thanks for sharing!!

Yep, you'll be waiting until the cows come home to get your refund.

sure....
Interesting!!

Maybe if YOU are the stud owner, but not with me. My reputation is on the line. What you wrote makes me think you are probably the one who sells all the puppies and pays all the other bills before paying the stud fee, if you pay it at all. The stud owner has no leverage and no way to recover the fee unless it is collected up front.

Another breeder
sure....
Interesting!!

Maybe if YOU are the stud owner, but not with me. My reputation is on the line. What you wrote makes me think you are probably the one who sells all the puppies and pays all the other bills before paying the stud fee, if you pay it at all. The stud owner has no leverage and no way to recover the fee unless it is collected up front.

I don't get it. The bitch owner can't register the litter if you don't sign/approve the litter, so how come that you are getting ripped off in this matter. Can't you wait a few weeks for your money? Then fine charge a full fee upfront. End of the story.

Another breeder

Wrong. The AKC will NOT register the litter without the stud owner, period. Have you ever done this before??? It appears that you haven't since you don't know what your talking about. Why are you posting this garbage?

You go ahead and charge the entire fee up front, I won't be using your dogs and I'm sure there are other breeders that feel the same way. As the stud dog owner you have control by not registering the litter. There is NO way a breeder can register a litter without the stud dog owners cooperation. This isn't that hard to understand. If a breeder sends you all the money up front and misses there is no recourse for the breeder except in a court of law. If you as the stud dog owner don't get the balance of your fee your recourse is to not register the litter.

If you believe only a correct pedigree is necessary to register a litter then I'm sure you don't know how to collect and extend semen correctly. And your not sure if DNA is required? As a stud dog owner it's your job to know! NO thanks, I won't be using your dogs, I'll save my time and money.

Respect goes both ways between the stud dog owner and the bitch owner, treat people the way you want to be treated.

I just got caught with my girl ovulating on day 8 of her cycle, I hadn't even given the stud owner my Fed Ex number, sent my boxes to her, paid for extender, or paid for the stud fee, (service fee or otherwise) yet. I was away from home for the day when I found out what the progesterone result was, fully expecting a baseline reading. I called her and she went out of her way to accommodate me, shipped semen by the skin of her teeth, 15 minutes before the Saturday Fed Ex cut off, using her own Fed Ex number, shipping supplies, with no money from me. I just met her for the first time at Potomac last week. Not all stud dog owners are difficult to work with!!
Needless to say, her check went out in the mail first thing this morning!

Breeder too
Respect goes both ways between the stud dog owner and the bitch owner, treat people the way you want to be treated.

I just got caught with my girl ovulating on day 8 of her cycle, I hadn't even given the stud owner my Fed Ex number, sent my boxes to her, paid for extender, or paid for the stud fee, (service fee or otherwise) yet. I was away from home for the day when I found out what the progesterone result was, fully expecting a baseline reading. I called her and she went out of her way to accommodate me, shipped semen by the skin of her teeth, 15 minutes before the Saturday Fed Ex cut off, using her own Fed Ex number, shipping supplies, with no money from me. I just met her for the first time at Potomac last week. Not all stud dog owners are difficult to work with!!

That's wonderful! I had a similar experience and I was so grateful because prior to our phone conversation we didn't know each other. It's nice to know there ARE some decent people around, those that can trust and those that have gratitude and follow through. Good luck, I hope she takes!!!

Thank you 'me too' as you're absolutely correct!

This person can't be an ethical breeder if she's a breeder at all. Maybe a BYB? First sign was she's Not sure if AKC requires DNA for a stud dog.

I don't own any boys, all bitches and I recall the DNA rule by the 3rd breeding many years ago. At least 15 years back if not longer.Friends of mine who owned a stud dog or multiple boys were busy sending in DNA for their boys that would be used to sire litters if they hadn't already.

So Another breeder, learn the AKC rules or don't quote them.

Another breeder
sure....
Interesting!!

Breeders, get a clue, if a stud dog owner isn't familiar with the process of registering a litter don't use them, they probably aren't capable of getting your bitch pregnant. Make sure you are in agreement to the terms and get it in writing, both parties MUST sign. If you pay the entire fee upfront and expect a refund with a miss your only recourse is in a court of law if the stud owner decides to not refund your money. Stud dog owners have a right to withhold litter registration if you don't pay your balance once your litter is born. Stick to your contract! If you don't have the entire stud fee before breeding don't enter into a contract.

Know you think you know it all but you don't.
It's right in the rule book and I have known other breeders who had to do it because of stud dog owner who thought she could get someone back for a personal vendetta by refusing to sign off on a litter.
Nope. If stud dog owner doesn't do it, akc will. Rest assured.
Also know of an unethical bitch owner who thought she didn't need to pay. Well she got her litter registered too.
Look it up.
Akc will not withhold registration unless there is a question on parentage and then only DNA is required to prove it.

me too
Another breeder

Wrong. The AKC will NOT register the litter without the stud owner, period. Have you ever done this before??? It appears that you haven't since you don't know what your talking about. Why are you posting this garbage?

You go ahead and charge the entire fee up front, I won't be using your dogs and I'm sure there are other breeders that feel the same way. As the stud dog owner you have control by not registering the litter. There is NO way a breeder can register a litter without the stud dog owners cooperation. This isn't that hard to understand. If a breeder sends you all the money up front and misses there is no recourse for the breeder except in a court of law. If you as the stud dog owner don't get the balance of your fee your recourse is to not register the litter.

If you believe only a correct pedigree is necessary to register a litter then I'm sure you don't know how to collect and extend semen correctly. And your not sure if DNA is required? As a stud dog owner it's your job to know! NO thanks, I won't be using your dogs, I'll save my time and money.

Brdr
Know you think you know it all but you don't.
It's right in the rule book and I have known other breeders who had to do it because of stud dog owner who thought she could get someone back for a personal vendetta by refusing to sign off on a litter.
Nope. If stud dog owner doesn't do it, akc will. Rest assured.
Also know of an unethical bitch owner who thought she didn't need to pay. Well she got her litter registered too.
Look it up.
Akc will not withhold registration unless there is a question on parentage and then only DNA is required to prove it.

How do you look up hearsay? Maybe you can provide a link.

Here is what the AKC has to say about stud contracts:

"The American Kennel Club takes the position that the owner of the sire is required to sign an application to register a litter certifying only to the fact that a particular dam was bred to the sire identified on the Litter Registration Application form on a specified date of mating, unless there is an agreement signed by all parties concerned in which it is specifically set forth that the owner of the sire is not obligated to sign an American Kennel Club Litter Registration Application form until such time as the stud fee has been paid."

Breeder too

Where did she get the shipping boxes and extender she had on hand? Maybe it doesn't even belong to her.

This is specifically directed at ME TOO. Your are incorrect in your rather impolite post about what the AKC will or will not do with regard to registering a litter. Yes, they will register a litter, regardless if the stud fee has been paid or not. Outstanding monetary disputes are not their business and they will tell you this up front. They want litters to be registered so please don't continue to post this erroneous information about AKC not registering a litter unless the stud dog owner signs off. It is you that is incorrect and yes, I do know who to collect and ship out semen and am aware that DNA testing needs to be done on stud that have produced three litters in one year or seven in their lifetime.

Hmmm
Breeder too

Where did she get the shipping boxes and extender she had on hand? Maybe it doesn't even belong to her.
I can not believe you're hmmmmmmming about a kind stud dog owner who got the much needed shipment on its way for the bitch owner in a pinch! Maybe you wouldn't go out f your way for a fellow breeder but I've had boxes lent to me and returned them promptly.

You're a jack blank who needs to learn manners and that others do extend kindness.

Hmmm
Breeder too

Why would you think that?
She has a few stud dogs, and has her own boxes, and extender on hand thankyouverymuch. She asked me ahead of time if I wanted to borrow her boxes or send her my own, I wanted to use my own so I wouldn't have to worry about returning hers, not that I owe you any explanation.
Please don't make a kind and generous act out to be something vile or malicious.

You're joking right?
Hmmm
Breeder too

I can not believe you're hmmmmmmming about a kind stud dog owner who got the much needed shipment on its way for the bitch owner in a pinch! Maybe you wouldn't go out f your way for a fellow breeder but I've had boxes lent to me and returned them promptly.

You're a jack blank who needs to learn manners and that others do extend kindness.

Sure thing I think that any stud dog owner would jump on shipping to get a $1,000.00 for 45 minutes of work. Not so much kindness as it is for profit.

this is directed at the post,
"1000.00 for 45 min of work "
then keep your own stud dogs and use them, there is alot more that goes into housing a "stud dog" promoting him , having him out and seen .
it is alot of work behind the scenes, having had a well used male years ago , and ive got to the point , i keep for my use only .

Sure thing I think that any stud dog owner would jump on shipping to get a $1,000.00 for 45 minutes of work. Not so much kindness as it is for profit.

You are just bound and determined to make this into a bad thing.

I am sorry that you cup is half empty, mine is half full! I cant wait for my beautiful puppies!

me too

No, YOU are wrong. You have no clue and you are posting garbage.

Here is an e-mail response from the AKC:

You will have to send in the litter application all filled out minus the Sire owners signature with a letter to the following department.

American Kennel Club
Customer Registration Support
PO Box 900066
Raleigh, NC 27675
Fax - 919-816-4250

Please be sure you sign your letter of complaint.

Mary
AKC Customer Service Representative
http://www.akc.org/
919-233-9767

:)
This is specifically directed at ME TOO. Your are incorrect in your rather impolite post about what the AKC will or will not do with regard to registering a litter. Yes, they will register a litter, regardless if the stud fee has been paid or not. Outstanding monetary disputes are not their business and they will tell you this up front. They want litters to be registered so please don't continue to post this erroneous information about AKC not registering a litter unless the stud dog owner signs off. It is you that is incorrect and yes, I do know who to collect and ship out semen and am aware that DNA testing needs to be done on stud that have produced three litters in one year or seven in their lifetime.

If your going to write up a contract it's imperative that you know the rules, obviously you do not!!!

AKC Procedures for Registration Matters, page 8.

Here is a link: http://images.akc.org/pdf/rulebooks/RREGS2.pdf

Here is the text:

"The American Kennel Club takes the position that the owner of the sire is required to sign an application to register a litter certifying only to the fact that a particular dam was bred to the sire identified on the Litter Registration Application form on a specified date of mating, unless there is an agreement signed by all parties concerned in which it is specifically set forth that the owner of the sire is not obligated to sign an American Kennel Club Litter Registration Application form until such time as the stud fee has been paid."

If you can't comprehend what's printed in the rulebook get help in doing so or lay off the sauce. Stop putting fear in stud dog owners, they do have recourse if a breeder doesn't pay up. If you don't have a contract that covers your concerns, well that's your fault.

45 minutes of work? I think not. Showing, finishing, expenses, food, time and alot more.

The breeder who got that chilled semen collected & shipped that quickly did not do it just for a stud fee. She did it to give the bitch owner every chance to have a litter in my humble opinion. That was what some use to call a Chinese fire drill in jest. (no Asian pokes of fun!). It means to rush around or have all switch seats in a vehicle and it's a joking term but no fun for the stud dog owner. They stop their own lives to get that shipment out. Just because some breeders brag about how fast they can collect their many boys doesn't mean most can't do the same. I've watched probably over 50 collections and never saw one take long esp with a teaser bitch around but not necessary with a seasoned stud dog.

Kudos to that stud dog owner, not all would do the same regardless of the green coming in. I would be happy to work with her.

Btw, Ever think the stud fee was already there being day 8 ?.

Not a well know stud but have one. And $1,000 for 45 mins. is an insane statement. That just shows how very little some think of this wonderful breed. Just a dog. Not all the work from birth ! They will buy one and have it standing in their back yard for use. Never pay a real stud fee. It does not cost them much for 15 mins. of use. Bet they are nice too. NOT ! $$$$$

Breeder w/stud
Not a well know stud but have one. And $1,000 for 45 mins. is an insane statement. That just shows how very little some think of this wonderful breed. Just a dog. Not all the work from birth ! They will buy one and have it standing in their back yard for use. Never pay a real stud fee. It does not cost them much for 15 mins. of use. Bet they are nice too. NOT ! $$$$$
Can you pls elaborate. I don't understand your point at all. It doesn't make any sense.