Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Small male @ 8 months

I know that it depends a lot on bloodlines, but I am worried.

We bought a puppy as a show potential for our junior handler, not just for jr's, she wants to show in conformation too. He is gorgeous, but small. Only between 20 - 21 inches at 8 months - very stocky though. The breeder doesn't think it's a big deal, and says just wait.

What's the average out there?
When do your boys reach their full heigth?

I know bitches can stop growing when they come into heat and sexually mature. He is just now starting to lift his leg to pee.

We are feeding him 6 - 8 cups of Pro-plan chicken and rice (50/50 puppy and adult) per day. Plus a couple of treats. He doesn't always finish his food but gets down 90% - 100% every meal. We feed 2 times a day so he gets 3 - 4 cups each meal.

We also take him for a good walk 1 - 2 miles each evening. He is off lead running playing with the others dogs we own around our 40 acre farm.

Am I just being a nervous nellie? If so, when should I worry?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Worried Mom

Re: Small male @ 8 months

Have you taken the dog out to shows to see how he compares to what's winning? I have a 2 1/2 y/o male, he's the smallest male in our house. Similar in size to his mom. Within standard, and I keep him thinner due to working the dogs and he's still "over weight" according to the standard. I look at him all the time and think he's SOOOO small. Out at a show next to the other boys, he's big...big chest, good proportions. But because my other boys are BIGGER, I get fooled.

He is eight months old...

I totally understand your worries! And it's funny when others say, "he's only 8 mos etc" when breeders sometimes say that their males have reached full height at 7 mos!
I have a 6.5 mos male that is stocky but he's a bit short in my opinion! I'm just hoping that he'll grow up til 12 mos :)
Good luck!!!

It sounds like this boy will always be small. Sounds like jrs is the best bet or a pet home.

Every line is different- maybe speak with the stud dog owner that sired your pup to get info on their experience with his progeny. Maybe even speak with the person who bred your bitch. I know that we've had boys that at 8 mos we thought were not going to be big enough and then lo & behold- a growth spurt and they became plenty big- even too much for some. Had the same thing happen in bitches too....

I think if he's still rather short at 12 mos I would "start" to worry. I've heard though that some lines makes the boys possible to grow up until 15 mos or so. So don't give up hope!!!

He is still growing, be patient. He will continue to grow until he is 13 to 14 months. A male needs to be 22 inches to meet standard and it sounds like he is close to being there.

Well, we entered him in four shows, he took his class everyday, he looked just fine - great infact. Call me a worry wort. I think we might have some fun with this guy!!!!
Sign me now.....Very Happy and less worried.