Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Breaking down urine

I am wondering if anyone has expertise re: urine control?

My dogs are trained to use a designated area for urination where I have large sand area (15 feet X 15 feet). This helps preserve the lawn in the remaining area of the yard. I try and keep the area odour free but this can be challenging when it is sunny and hot. I have experimented with a vinegar and water solution as well as aerating the area (tilling the sand) and this helps quite a bit. I have also used pelleted limestone.

I wonder if anyone has any suggestion re: what would be an effective way of keeping the area "fresh"; a way to effectively and safely break down the urine. (feces is not an issue as it is removed immediately).

I want something that is environmentally friendly and do not want to use any harsh chemicals that may negatively affect the dogs, any surface wells that may be in the area, etc.. I have considered Javex but wonder if I would be destroying beneficial bacteria. I would like to assist nature with the "breaking down" process.

I know Sweet PDZ is recommend but I cannot get it in Canada. I also know soil is better than sand for breaking down urine since it contains more enzymes but the area where I live is pretty much all sand and soil is very messy anyway.

Re: Breaking down urine

I love "Trail"

Trail? Any info re: a website, availability, etc.? I have never heard of this.

Never heard of trail but found this link

http://www.petedge.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=43406&cm_mmc=Google-_-Pet%20Supplies%20PLA_Pet%20Supplies%20Clean%20up-_-{creative}-_-Pet%20Supplies%20Clean%20up_Exact&gclid=CPzW-4H91rYCFcIv4AodyQkAwA

I've been using Trail since the late 70's. I was in my vet's office one day and asked what smelled so good. I've used it ever since. I also put some in a spray bottle (diluted) for indoors. When I use my steam mop I often put a capfull in the water dispenser. Love this stuff!!