Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fleas

We have not had fleas for 20 years. A friend's dog was here for a week and a half and today I picked a flea off of one of my girl's head. Of course, she was bred over the weekend. Argh!!!!!!! Since I have not had to deal with this, what can I use on a pregnant bitch? And do I need to treat all the other dogs too? And what about the yard?

Re: fleas

Frontline Plus is perfectly safe for pregnant and nursing girls

argh
We have not had fleas for 20 years. A friend's dog was here for a week and a half and today I picked a flea off of one of my girl's head. Of course, she was bred over the weekend. Argh!!!!!!! Since I have not had to deal with this, what can I use on a pregnant bitch? And do I need to treat all the other dogs too? And what about the yard?

If your sure you caught them early I would give the dog a bath with Dawn and use the regular Frontline not the Plus. JMO

If needed, you could spray the yard with Taurus SC - its fipronil (same ingredient as Frontline. However, I've only had fleas here once - 2 years ago. I never treated their play yards. Frontline took care of the dogs.

I will be doing the Frontline. Let's hope a single application will do it. I will have to do all my dogs.

Costco sells their Kirkland brand of Flea topical. I've been using it for a couple season , works just as good as Frontline. for your pregnant girl, I would use Frontline.

For the first time. The Frontline did not work. Frontline plus did.

Advantix works great too but not sure with pregnancy or nursing.

Frontline and Plus is safe for both

When I see a flea I use a flea a comb on a regular basis, a nice bonding moment. vacuum the house, wash bedding, and I even vacuum the dogs :) Most like it, some don't, if they don't - I don't bother. Feels like a massage. I use the open end of the hose, be sensible, try it on arm or leg first, and then dispose of the bag when done. repeat as necessary, if your dog like it.