Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Leasing a bitch to show and perhaps get one litter

What would you expect to pay to do this. I have been asked to lease a girl of mine to show and maybe one litter. This is all new to me so I have no idea what to expect or what would be expected from them. Everything will be in writing. Has any one done this if so what was your experience both good and bad?

Re: Leasing a bitch to show and perhaps get one litter

One puppy and half of the litter after expenses seems fair.

Get it all in writing. With one or two pups, C-section, keep in mind its not that easy. If you know breeding you know all that can come up. Who pays all the up front cost ? Make sure you know the person.

What if there are singleton litters?
What if there is a singleton that gets stuck, dies and nees a C section. Who pays?

Why would someone lease a girl to show, spend your money campaining, then give the bitch back? Sounds like they have cash to throw away.

Breeder
Why would someone lease a girl to show, spend your money campaining, then give the bitch back? Sounds like they have cash to throw away.

It is a good way to get "started". There are not a lot of top breeders that will sell you "there best" but they may be willing to lease you one.

I did an arrangement close to this a few years ago. It was for someone who needed a "restart" in dogs. We discussed 2 litter sisters. One was finished and the other hardly shown. We came up with $5,000 and no puppies back on the CH. girl or $3,500 and no puppies back on the lightly shown girl. There was a stipulation in the contract, that I would have the option to buy 2nd pick puppy at the regular price of $1500. Leasee would be responcible for all vet fees during the contract, including all costs incurred before, during, and after the whelping. We also agreed if an unfortunate scenario would occur and a full litter of 3 or more puppies did not occur I would allow her to rebreed her again with no additional fees. All this was written down in a contract.
We ended up agreeing to the $3,500 contract for the lightly shown litter sister. At the time, my CH. girl was young and I wasn't finished breeding her. (May have allowed it if her 3 planned breedings had already taken place and was going to retire her). I shared with her the family history behind the bitch and what I thought she needed to improve on. I offered to help her pick appropriate stud dogs that I felt would be a good fit for her.
Everything went well. She got the beautiful bitch that she was looking for. With the right party I would have no trouble doing it again. No regrets.

So you charged someone to house and show your bitch even before there was a litter?
I have heard of leasing a bitch and the litter is split, including all expenses. That seems fair. The owner does none of the work and they are doing someone else a favor by letting them use their decent bitch for a breeding.
I think for the person whose leasing your bitch to show her is icing on the cake for YOU and I can't believe you'd charge someone to do so!

Breeder
I did an arrangement close to this a few years ago. It was for someone who needed a "restart" in dogs. We discussed 2 litter sisters. One was finished and the other hardly shown. We came up with $5,000 and no puppies back on the CH. girl or $3,500 and no puppies back on the lightly shown girl. There was a stipulation in the contract, that I would have the option to buy 2nd pick puppy at the regular price of $1500. Leasee would be responcible for all vet fees during the contract, including all costs incurred before, during, and after the whelping. We also agreed if an unfortunate scenario would occur and a full litter of 3 or more puppies did not occur I would allow her to rebreed her again with no additional fees. All this was written down in a contract.
We ended up agreeing to the $3,500 contract for the lightly shown litter sister. At the time, my CH. girl was young and I wasn't finished breeding her. (May have allowed it if her 3 planned breedings had already taken place and was going to retire her). I shared with her the family history behind the bitch and what I thought she needed to improve on. I offered to help her pick appropriate stud dogs that I felt would be a good fit for her.
Everything went well. She got the beautiful bitch that she was looking for. With the right party I would have no trouble doing it again. No regrets.

Just so some people don't jump to any wrong conclusions, I will get into more detail.
This is why I stated, "I did an arrangement close to this a few years ago." First, the bitch was never shown by the leasee. Second, this arrangement was strictly done to allow someone to start over in dogs. Third, leasee wanted a FULL litter which to make, or have the potential to make, decisions on several bitch puppies further down the road. I understood and respected this. lastly, this is what the leasee wanted and it worked for me.
Also, your sugestion on the spliting the litter is one way to do it. Fortunately, just like in life, sometimes there is more than one right way to do things.
Also, the lease fee is the reflection of several years and generations of a sucessfull breeding program. I wish 20 years ago, I had the opportunity to do something like this. It could of had the potential to move my breeding program forward several years with just one generation.

Anyone has any right to do whatever they want with their dogs in leasing. If the person will show the dog and is starting over on lines that the Breeder has worked with and put her time, effort and money into why shouldn't she get what she is asking. The leasee can take it or leave it or start over with a puppy. This is still the US of A.

My concern would be what if something happened to the dog. You would need to make sure how much you feel your dog is worth and have that in the contract and have the courthouse for legal matters in your county.

Breeder
That is a great way to get started and commendable that you were so willing to offer a good bitch for lease. I agree that if you know the person asking to lease then it makes the situation a little smoother.

Stud Owner
So you charged someone to house and show your bitch even before there was a litter?
I have heard of leasing a bitch and the litter is split, including all expenses. That seems fair. The owner does none of the work and they are doing someone else a favor by letting them use their decent bitch for a breeding.
I think for the person whose leasing your bitch to show her is icing on the cake for YOU and I can't believe you'd charge someone to do so!

Breeder

Or.....You could pay $3500 outright for a pet male puppy who struggles through his short life, euthanized at the age of 23 weeks after he was diagnosed with congenital renal dysplasia with no chance for survival after spending about $1,500.00 in a futile effort to save him. The well known Maryland breeder would not honor the contract even with the puppy buyer paying extra for the "guarantee".
The bitch lease terms seem more than generous when compared to this horror story.

Thank you all for your replies.
Everything would be in writing, the girl in question is a CH, she would be going to the other side of the country, they just want a nice showable girl to compete with. The bitch would stay in the owners name, and the owner would pay all showing costs and they would pay all other costs. Still a few things to think about and you have given me a few new ideas.
Thanks