Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Failed CERF

I had a 2 year old neutered male which was brought back to me. I CERFed yesterday b/c I want to sell him as a trained hunter/dog. His CERF showed a tiny (less than 1 mm) Posterior subcapslar Incipient cataract on one eye. Any of you experience this and know the prognosis/future of this boy?

Re: Failed CERF

I just went through this with one of our 18 month old girls. She was found to have little posterior cataract spots in both eyes. The cerf dr told me that these type of cataracts won't cause any blindness or need surgery down the road.

Bitch Owner
I just went through this with one of our 18 month old girls. She was found to have little posterior cataract spots in both eyes. The cerf dr told me that these type of cataracts won't cause any blindness or need surgery down the road.

Same experience here - plus my CERF doctor said that statistically they see this .86% of the time nationwide over the last 10 years in Labs. Then he said breeding to a clear dog wouldn't produce it in puppies. Then I asked him why this wouldn't be a Breeder's Option with CERF. He had no answer for that, but it's not.

http://www.optigen.com/opt9_research.html

Your type/breed might not be listed but Optigen might still want a blood sample. I know my lab had a cataract at 2 years and I contacted them with the report. They were very thankful to be given a blood sample, even though it was not listed on their website.

Consider a second opinion too. I had a friend bring her dog into a CERF clinic last fall and was diagnosed with geographic retinal dysplasia. She brought the dog into a different eye doctor not during a clinic for a second opinion about 6 months later. The second vet knew he was there to confirm a diagnosis, had the previous CERF paper, could NOT find anything wrong with this dog. Both vets actually have a good reputation, so I am surprised and confused. But don't rule anything out until you get a second opinion.

Cataract
I had a 2 year old neutered male which was brought back to me. I CERFed yesterday b/c I want to sell him as a trained hunter/dog. His CERF showed a tiny (less than 1 mm) Posterior subcapslar Incipient cataract on one eye. Any of you experience this and know the prognosis/future of this boy?

What did your ACVO vet say about his diagnosis, and could he function well as a gun dog? The examining eye Dr should be able to answer any questions you have.

The examining doctor was difficult to communicate with . She was in a hurry for one thing. She just said, "retest him in 6 months." I have had him longer than I wanted to already, can't keep him for another 6 months but she just keep repeating, "just retest him in 6 months."

I pay good money for eye exams, and I expect good service in exchange. My ACVO vet will go look stuff up for me if I have any questions, while I wait. He takes his time with my dogs, and is very thorough. I think it is awful that yours kept telling you to retest in 6 months, with no other explanation. I am not sure I would use her again.