Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ProPlan issues

Long time ProPlan customer, but I'm having some problems. Over the last year my coats don't seem as good. Even though it has 30% protein, dogs are putting on fat more than muscle. I'm getting much larger poops. They say they haven't changed the formula, but something is off. So I thought, maybe I'll try the grain-free. Looked at the breakdown and it's only 26% protein! Other grain free foods have more protein. I look at the ingredients - it's got beet pulp as a filler. I don't want to pay premium price for beet pulp. So now I'm finally thinking of going raw. There is an Oma's Pride distributor near me. Any other good raw food suppliers I should look into?

Re: ProPlan issues

Bravo is also great!

Oma's Pride is good. We love their green tripe (well the dogs do!) Lucky you to have them close by!

You can make your own if you have a slaughterhouse or chicken processing plant anywhere near.

I feed PPP Performance and I have great coats right now, and I am a couple bags into the "new" Sport 30/20 formula. The only thing I see any difference in is the color of the kibble and the color of the stools, the Sport formula being a little bit lighter in color. Coats are great, eyes, ears, perfect, stools even smaller if that's possible, we have transitioned nicely.

Same here. Feeding the Sport formula with no difference in coats. Dogs are thriving.

Me too. Also,if the feed store is out of ProPlan Performance I can switch the dogs to Sport, or Puppy or whatever without the dogs having a problem.

No problems with Pro Plan here. I rotate between the Grain Free and the Sport...this week being the 26/16 version. No issues. My other go-to kibble is Earthborn Holistics, which all my dogs do well on too.

I feed the PPP 20/30 sport and since they have changed their packaging, I am getting loads of yeast in my dogs ears. Even some of my dogs who never had one ear problem before. I also notice some weight loss. Coats are still holding good. I don't believe they did not make changes to the formula like they claim. The food also has a different odor to it. Time for a food change again

The problem with most of the dogs foods currently available is that they are using poor quality meat sources that contain large amounts of bone material. Bone contains high amounts of calcium and phosphorus (very detrimental to kidneys) which blocks the absorption of Zinc which is critical to maintaining healthy skin and coat. Skin and coat are the last things affected by nutrient deficiencies and excesses, just imagine what it is doing to the inner workings of the dogs. I would strongly suggest Ideal Balance, they also make a Grain Free if that’s something you prefer.

the calcium and phos. is listed as a % of the formula - I don't understand why you think that there is a problem in that area

I do believe that there is something different in the formula and the dogs are not able to utilize/metabolize what they are eating

I have been feeding Perf. for 6 years and I am not getting the same results - not even in the puppies anymore

Time to change

The listing on the bag is just the guaranteed analysis, a minimum or maximum value. It is not the exact number in the food. To get that information you need the Nutrient Profile or Nutrient Analysis. So for example the recommended level of Phosphorus for an adult dog is 0.4-0.9% and Calcium is 0.5-1.0% . ProPlan Chicken & Rice formula contains 1.26% Calcium and 1.01% Phosphorus. Even these small excesses can cause a problem. There is an optimum range for nutrients, but unfortunately 99% of pet food available exceeds the optimum and this causes a multitude of health problems.

I had an opportunity to speak to a nutritionist who worked for Purina several years ago. Calcium at 1.25 is still okay. She suggested 1.0 would be better, but no problem with another food I was using at the time that was 1.3.

I have been frustrated for some time with the results I had been seeing with my dogs while on PP Performance. I just used my last bag this am and looked at the ingredient list. The first two ingredients were Chicken and Corn Gluten meal.... I have coupons left over and am going to use them up on the PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach. In the meanwhile I'm looking for something else to move on to. I wish I could trust Diamond. Their Naturals line is a good read, but the company still scares me after all of the recalls.

The designer foods at $50 per 32# bag are out of the question...just looking for a good basic food. I never remember feeding dogs to be this damn complicated.

-Jill

After several months with crummy coats on PP and during the cold winter too, we have gone back to diamond naturals.
I hold my breath every time I buy it but I can't find anything better that is also affordable.
I pay $32 for 40 lbs.
Is anyone using Exceed lately? I went to that after the last diamond recall but noticed the coats and weights weren't good so had gone to PP and had the same. Been back to diamond for several months and happy with coats and weights once again though I will say stools are not ideal.

Jill
I have been frustrated for some time with the results I had been seeing with my dogs while on PP Performance. I just used my last bag this am and looked at the ingredient list. The first two ingredients were Chicken and Corn Gluten meal.... I have coupons left over and am going to use them up on the PP Sensitive Skin and Stomach. In the meanwhile I'm looking for something else to move on to. I wish I could trust Diamond. Their Naturals line is a good read, but the company still scares me after all of the recalls.

The designer foods at $50 per 32# bag are out of the question...just looking for a good basic food. I never remember feeding dogs to be this damn complicated.

-Jill

Annamaet Ultra is a good basic food (32/20) that has a high percentage of protein from animal sources not plant sources. Their ingredients are very high quality for dog food. You might be able to get a pallet or half pallet at a time for a better price. They still have large 40 lb bags.

http://www.annamaet.com/html/annamaet_original_ultra_dog_fo.html

Oh my! All of your foods are CHEAP!!
I pay $73 for a 33 lbs bag and that is a good deal here! I also pay $89 for a 30 lbs bag from another company!!
Dog food is very very VERY expensive here in Iceland! I would be sooooo happy if I could buy a bag for only $50 😈

Re: ProPlan issues- added yeast?

I have been recently feeding proplan select chicken and brown rice to one of my puppies as well as taste of the wild for several others.....the Proplan smells yeasty - almost like raised bread....i wouldn't put it past them to "raise" it to make it take up more volume.....any one ever wonder about this? I probably should call them.....

I had to take my boy off PPP due to gas issues. Suddenly he started getting bloated with gas right after eating it
Not sure if yeast would do that but scary!

wondering......
I have been recently feeding proplan select chicken and brown rice to one of my puppies as well as taste of the wild for several others.....the Proplan smells yeasty - almost like raised bread....i wouldn't put it past them to "raise" it to make it take up more volume.....any one ever wonder about this? I probably should call them.....

I've been noticing more stinky gas too! I've had to kick my dogs out of the bedroom so I can sleep without getting asphyxiated!