Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
strange symptoms

Please take a look at the following. It came from a person who got Emma from me as a puppy 7 years ago. Any ideas as to what the cause might be? They live in NC.

.....Am concerned over Emmas stiffness. She does not seem to be able to support herself on her front legs. When I take her in the car for a ride, she now lies on the back seat instead of sticking her head out the window. She rarely stands up or sits on her behind, lies down most of the time.

Had her to the vet two weeks ago. She has an UTI and is currently on antibiotic . Reading websites it states she could have some kind of an arthritis caused by the bacterial infection of the UTI. Her front wrists look swollen (both equally). I also started her on cosequin 2 weeks ago twice a day. She got one week of rimadyl 75 mg twice a day had to stop that after 6 days as she had blood in her stool. Vet told me I have give her 37.5 mg twice a day, but I am hesitant.

I have to lift her on and off the bed. Appetite is great, no cries of pain. Still wants to play with the ball with same vigor as usual. She runs hard and powerfully. I try and limit her and now only allow her to run on the grass, not in the street. She swims in the pool daily. ........

Re: strange symptoms

probably no help....but did she run bloodwork? Specifically for tick born illnesses? I am in Virginia and my vet was just telling me last week that they are seeing a ridiculously high number of Ehrlicia patients.

Definitely check for blood parasites. Another possibility that comes to mind in polyarthritis. Your vet can test for both things.

Many tick borne diseases can cause stiffness and swelling in the wrist (carpus). Some can cause clotting issues as well. She might want to have her Vet run a "Tick Panel" Best of luck!