Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pee smell in whelping fleece

My thick whelping fleece has a pee smell after washing and drying it. How do you get the pee smell out?

Re: Pee smell in whelping fleece

Are you adding bleach to the load when washing your whelp/fleece bedding?

I use arm and hammer soap and add bleach to the load.

Bleach will take care of the problem.

No, I haven't tried bleach, I don't like the smell of bleach either. Bleach won't ruin a thick fleece pad? When I bought it I thought I was told to not use bleach? I could be wrong though.

I don't put the bleach right in the load. There is a receptical in my machine for the bleach and it releases it into the load at a certain time.

I have always done this and my fleeces have always held up.

Be sure to use a good amount of water in the load.

If you use bleach make sure you out it through a extra rinse cycle that smell is hard to get rid of and it can also irritate the pups skin. We use white vinegar, let it soak rinse and then use regular detergent .

I love bleach. I buy it by the case. I always use it to wash puppy pads, even if they say not to. I do use the "extra rinse" cycle for puppies though. I wish i could use bleach on my darks, too. Love it.

I use white vinegar to get out smells, it can be poured in at the beginning or once the tub is filled up. About a 1/2 cup per load.

But I also take my big fleeces to the laundromat because my washer isn't big enough.

You might try Baking Soda and do an extra rinse. I use bleach and sometimes soda. They have some Bleach that are scented and rinse once or twice to make sure they are clean.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Natures Miracle makes an additive for the laundry. When I wash pet bedding I use 1 or 2 capfuls of "Get Serious".

I throw Simple Solution into my washer. I don't have pups but I use it whenever I wash the dog bedding and towels and the like. I put maybe 1/4 cup into the detergent container with the detergent and about the same into the softener container of the tray.

I use bleach too, but I also use liquid fabric softener. I'm addicted to the smell of either Downy or Gain Apple Mango Tango. My fleece holds up just fine - I've used bleach for years, plus it kills germs.

I am a bleacher too. I use it on everything and rinse well.