Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sick dogs??

Been hearing of of virus going around that came from Potomac. Vomiting and diarrhea, dehydration in some cases.
Anyone having similar and any idea what it is?

Re: Sick dogs??

Nope, my dogs are all fine. Have not heard of anyone else having issues.

Nope have not heard a word from anyone. All fine.

Not that particular virus, but 3 of the 4 dogs I brought have KC. The usual Potomac crud for us. And this with very recent bordatella boosters. They've not been anywhere but Potomac in a while.

now that you ask, all mine are fine.

Mine fine too.

Mine are fine here.

Mine are all fine too

All my dogs are fine as well.

Mine are all fine and I brought 12 dogs with me. I vaccinated them all in December with Bronchicine for kennel cough, and I used Tylan as a prophylactic while we were traveling. I've never had a dog get kennel cough who had been vaccinated with Bronchicine within the previous 6 months. That's the injectible, not the intranasal. And I've never had Potomac crud since I started using Tylan.

How much do you use?

I was traveling with 6 dogs and one came down with it. It started on Friday the 19th and my dog spent the night at the vet, it wasn't until yesterday that she really started feeling better. Her symptoms were, stopped eating, vomiting and bloody diarrhea. Stool sample and blood sample showed nothing obvious but my vet suspected Caronavirus. I have heard of a few dogs coming down with it and another vet also thinking Caronavirus. My girl is being treated with Clavamox and Metronidazole.

1/8 tsp in a gallon of water, or a very small sprinkle on the food or both.

Thank you Nancy!

Hearing of more dogs getting sick from Carnovirus, something we don't vaccinate for. Maybe something we should considering including in future vaccinations? Thoughts?

I have read that pups are not susceptible to Corona from 8 weeks of age on and the reason I don't vaccinate for it.

Wouldn't that also mean adult dogs are not susceptible?

Is there a specific test to diagnose corona?

My understanding of corona is that it's not considered life threatening in pups older than 6 wks or so, so considered a non-core vaccine. That does not mean that older dogs aren't susceptible.

My vet mentioned not terribly long ago that she thought we should rethink vaccinating our breeding age bitches against. I've not used it for years, but it may not be a bad idea if it's out there and getting worse.