Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Color Coat Question

Just curious....

I have looked at several sites but would like to know what your experience has been when breeding a black carrying yellow sire to a black carrying yellow dam.

I know genetics are different in each dog…
How many blacks did you get and how many yellows did you get from the litter?

The bottom is information I gathered from different websites.
Unfortunately, I cannot get into Blue Knight for some reason?

Sire: BBEe x Dam: BBEe
Phenotype for Black 75%, Chocolate 0%, Yellow 25%

50By & 50y

Re: Color Coat Question

It's all statistics. Each puppy resulting from that breeding would have a 25% chance of being black dominant, a 50% chance of being black but carrying the yellow gene, and a 25%chance of being yellow.
A simple study of Mendelian theory should answer your question.

Thank you
Was just curious about peoples different experiences

I bred a By x By and got 4 yellow and 2 black. I bred my chocolate to a Byc and got 8 chocolates and 1 black. I use the statistics as a guide but no matter what Mother Nature always has a different plan!

Thank you for sharing!
That's interesting
Mother nature is in control

I bred a By to a By, and had 11 black pups.

I think it depends what you have spoken for. I bred a Byc to a Y and got 4 YF, 1 BM. Of course I had 5 wanting BFs and only 1-2 wanting YFs at the time. Murphy's Law often prevails.

I bred a By to a By and got 9 black (4M/5F) and 2 yellow (1M/1F), which is about what I expected.

I bred a By bitch to three different yellow males and
got a total of 23 puppies--3 yellow males, 17 black males, and 3 black females.
Statistics tell you absolutely nothing about your individual case.

Kate Fulkerson, PhD
I bred a By bitch to three different yellow males and
got a total of 23 puppies--3 yellow males, 17 black males, and 3 black females.
Statistics tell you absolutely nothing about your individual case.

That must have been a difficult birth with lots of supplemental feedings! {LOL}

I bred a chocolate male to a bitch who was bc. First litter 1 chocolate and 8 blacks. 2nd litter 4 chocolates 4 blacks. You never know.

I bred a By bitch to 2 yellow males ( 2 different litters) I got 10 yellows and 5 blacks.
I bred my Y bitch to a By stud with 5 blacks and 1 yellow. I bred another Y bitch to a By stud with 6 blacks and 1 yellow!
My friend bred her Y bitch to one of the same By stud I used and she got 5 yellows and 3 blacks!
I guess you just never know!

For the person who bred By to By and got all black. Might better question that one with the stud owner if she has another black dog there. Or if you lost yellow that would be different also. Everyone does not play fair.

Breeder wondering
For the person who bred By to By and got all black. Might better question that one with the stud owner if she has another black dog there. Or if you lost yellow that would be different also. Everyone does not play fair.

Mother Nature doesn't play fair....even 11 puppies is not a large enough sample for stastics to be accurate. I bred my By girl to my Y male (I did the breeding no other males around) 9 puppies all black....all males to boot

Breeder wondering

That was me, and we did a side by side breeding with the only male on the property, who I knew personally. From what I understand---and the geneticists here might correct me---is that the statistics are for EACH puppy, not the entire litter. So if the statistics say 75% black and 25% yellow, that means that each individual puppy has a 75% chance of being black. It doesn't matter how many are in the litter or how many there are of each color. That does not change each puppies chances. So, I had 11 black puppies. Each of those puppies had a 75% chance of being black. If I had only had 3 puppies, the statistics are the same. Each pup had a 75% chance of being black.

This is all so interesting! Thank you for sharing your information.

breeder

That was me, and we did a side by side breeding with the only male on the property, who I knew personally. From what I understand---and the geneticists here might correct me---is that the statistics are for EACH puppy, not the entire litter. So if the statistics say 75% black and 25% yellow, that means that each individual puppy has a 75% chance of being black. It doesn't matter how many are in the litter or how many there are of each color. That does not change each puppies chances. So, I had 11 black puppies. Each of those puppies had a 75% chance of being black. If I had only had 3 puppies, the statistics are the same. Each pup had a 75% chance of being black.

Well, I'll be... I've never seen it put this way is this kind of discussion, but you are absolutely 100% correct from a statistics perspective. Each puppy has a certain % chance, and then it resets for the next puppy. Our emotions may tell us that 11 out of 11 puppies being black is a surprise, it really isn't. It's the same as buying a Powerball ticket. The odds of winning the jackpot are approximately 176,000,000 to 1. The way it works in the puppy example is why there can be 500,000,000 tickets sold without having a winner.

Greg Lynch - Kellyn Labs
breeder

Well, I'll be... I've never seen it put this way is this kind of discussion, but you are absolutely 100% correct from a statistics perspective. Each puppy has a certain % chance, and then it resets for the next puppy. Our emotions may tell us that 11 out of 11 puppies being black is a surprise, it really isn't. It's the same as buying a Powerball ticket. The odds of winning the jackpot are approximately 176,000,000 to 1. The way it works in the puppy example is why there can be 500,000,000 tickets sold without having a winner.

Another way to look at it from a statistics standpoint is if you bred the same By dog and By bitch 1000 times (obviously impossible) and got 10,000 puppies (10 per litter), you would get very near 25% BB, 50% By, 25% yy overall, but those results could be skewed dramatically one way or the other when plucking out any consecutive group of 10 (a litter) from the overall results.

Breeder wondering
I dislike seeing finger pointing such as this. I was right there for a single side by side breeding of my By bitch to By stud and wound up with 8 of 9 yellows and 1 black. This was about 17 years ago. The black was the only male. So was there funny business there? Heck NO!I have no boys and she was not exposed to any other dogs. I kept her at home until she whelped.

I think your mild accusation shows how little you know about coat colors and the % of them that can be produced. Any of the charts are based on 100 puppies, not 1, 2 or 3 litters, more like over 10 litters.

Mel
It's all statistics. Each puppy resulting from that breeding would have a 25% chance of being black dominant, a 50% chance of being black but carrying the yellow gene, and a 25%chance of being yellow.
A simple study of Mendelian theory should answer your question.

Per cent, represented by the symbol %, means for every hundred. So the fact that EACH puppy in a By to By litter has a 25% per cent chance of being yellow (based on the average of every one hundred puppies born to that breeding) is a lot different than saying that every fourth puppy will be yellow as so many people seem to be thinking.

Bred a By bitch to a Yellow male resulting in 9 blks (8m/1f) 1 yel (m)
Bred the same By bitch to a By male resulting in 8 blks (8f) 1 yel (m)

Bred a Yellow bitch to a By male resulting in 5 blks (2m/3f) 5 yel (2m/3f)
Mother nature was good to me for this breeding!

Theoretically, I agree the odds are what they are, except that when I want a black male, it seems the likelihood of yellow females increases LOL.

Not saying another black dog was there, just was the sire colored tested for By. I usually get half and half or pretty close when I breed with color..not so much for males and females. Good old mother nature.

Breeder
Not saying another black dog was there, just was the sire colored tested for By. I usually get half and half or pretty close when I breed with color..not so much for males and females. Good old mother nature.

He didn't need to be color tested. His mother was yellow.

I bred a BYC To a YC and had 3 chocolate pups(1M 2 FE) and 1 black pup M. Imagine that

I bred a By male to a Yb female who delivered her litter 4/11/2013. She had 6 yellow(3M/3F) and 5 black(2M/3F). The first of that litter a yellow female was born dead and the last a black female was born alive but didn't make it. So we were almost 50/50 in color and sex.

NOW someone is really reading the research!! Good for you.