Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
STOPS in Labradors

Speaking of Stops:

I don't mean to criticize "types" or current trends.

I am trying to learn and understand the purpose of the stop in Labradors. Is it cosmetic or functional?

There are slight differences in the wording within these standards, however I am seeing more and more "pronounced stops" nowadays.

"There should be a MODERATE stop--the brow slightly pronounced so that the skull is not absolutely in a straight line with the nose. The brow ridges aid in defining the stop." - AKC standard.

"Skull should be wide, giving brain room; there should be a SLIGHT stop, i.e., the brow should be slightly pronounced, so that the skull is not absolutely in a straight line with the nose." - Canadian Kennel Club.

"When viewed from the side, the skull and muzzle are approximately equal in length, and joined by a MODERATE stop that is defined, in part, by the moderately well-defined supraorbital arches over the eyes. " - UKC

"Stop: Defined." - FCI-St. N°122/ 12.01.2011

Clearly, none of these standards is asking for an almost 90 degree angle to "define" a stop, but I am seeing more and more dogs with a very "pronounced" (almost 90 degrees) angle...

Maybe some conformation dogs breeders want to make sure their dogs "look" differente from the field types and they may be exaggerating?

Opinions with no flames will be welcome.

Thank you!

Re: STOPS in Labradors

The standard as it relates to the head allows for a large variety of styles that are all equally correct. Stop is just one piece of what makes the head, and in turn, the kind and friendly expression that we strive for. It's also cosmetic, not functional, so other than contributing to expression, it's not as important as balance, coat, movement, tail, etc.

I prefer a stop that is strong enough that my dog is clearly never mistaken for a flat-coat, but not so strong that it makes the expression seem harsh. Haven't quite hit the target yet - still trying to breed that head that is perfect for me!

Bottom line, breed for the expression you like and the stop that goes with it. The one part of the Labrador that you look at most of the time is the head, and you have to live with it, so you might as well like what you see!

I think the part of the standard that has been lost in many cases is "The skull and foreface should be on parallel planes and of approximately equal length." I see many boys especially with a pronounced domed skull, much like a Rottie, rather than parallel planes. Perhaps there are breeders who are "geometry challenged" and don't understand what parallel means.

I think of pronounced in the instance of the breed standard as being "easily noticed", "clearly apparent", "noticeable", not pronounced as being exaggerated. If you can put a black dot above each eye and it looks like a Rottie, then he's not a Labrador.

Yes yes yes...a lab should not have the stop the Rotties have...I do like a really pretty expression but you can have it with not a big or abrupt stop. I just can't stand that Rottie looking expression....or even Newfie with a really big stop. Please quit trying to change what we have.

I think of heads in terms of masculine and feminine. I think a head with not much stop is more feminine and looks ok on a bitch. But I can't stand a dog with a feminine head. A girl with a bit of a masculine head is fine but I want to see "male" when I look at a boy. And I think that needs a nice stop. And no, I don't mean like a rottie, I mean like a handsome male Labrador.

Thank you all for your input.

I was told to learn how to assess a Labrador as a whole by learning each of its parts, and then going back to look at the whole dog. They made it sound simple, but it is not :)

Head and expression to me are key as that's what you see first everyday, as one of the commenters kindly mentioned.

I aware that each of us may have specific preferences or maybe we get used (based on the love we have for our own dogs) to what we see at home. Some may end up thinking that what they have at home is the "correct" way. That's why it is so important to attend shows and get to see other lines, so we can educate our eyes leaving ourt hearts aside when (if) possible ;)

Thanks a lot!!!

My quest for knowledge and a better understanding of what I really like in a Labrador within the standards continues :)