Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fair price

What would be a fair price to pay for a 3 year old male that has full clearances, lovely pedigree and has AKC 9 points? I have his litter sister & don't really need both here.

Re: Fair price

I would say $5,000 to $10,000, but would like to hear what others say also. And would have to see how clear the pedigree looks. All clearances and some pts is good.

Depending on the pedigree and what part of the country, the price range sounds about right.

Did you breed him? If so, then having someone else pay to finish him is benefitting you. I would expect $3000 tops.

$10,000. if he's a good dog and an interesting pedigree, it would take about 5 minutes to pay for him in stud fees.

I am surprised at the price of $5000-$10,000. I know there are many finished boys with clearances and nice pedigrees that are never used. I have a girl who has full clearances and 12 points Gordy and Arnold granddaughter. But 5 y/o--I don't think she is worth anything to anyone other than us--we love her! Maybe it's different for boys with the ability to earn stud fees.

I agree - those prices are not realistic, but then again, a dog is worth however much someone wants to pay for him. I would think closer to $3000 is what a dog would be worth if his pedigree is good and if all his clearances are done, plus his done some winning at specialties (class wins, etc.), or at least has a major - you said he has 9 points, but are any of them major points? You can ask whatever you want, though - just don't be surprised if he's worth more to you than to someone else.

I don't know how much this has to do with what part of the country you live in, but getting offers of close to 5K for bitch puppies that are not even a year old can be quite common. I would think a nice male with clearances and a nice strong pedigree who has done some winning could demand just as much if not more.

Really, I think the puppy price in your area would be appropriate. A buyer could easily spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get him finished, only to never have him used. You would have a champion with your kennel name. That would be of value to you. This is probably not a time to be greedy.

Don't usually sell older dogs. But, the home is the most important thing that I think of. Sold a few in the past few years for only $300. Due to family illness, had to place a few of my dogs and the price wasn't even in the plan. It was a good home where that dog could go and live with real people in a house with a fence and maybe kids. But, then again, never thought of breeding being a money maker. Also, showing was a fun thing where I was able to show what I bred and winning would have just been the icing on the cake. I said once that I was the top loser at shows on the planet. Always spay or neuter the ones I place. If I want them shown or bred, I will keep them. Just me.

breeder
Really, I think the puppy price in your area would be appropriate. A buyer could easily spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get him finished, only to never have him used. You would have a champion with your kennel name. That would be of value to you. This is probably not a time to be greedy.

Who said they were getting greedy? The title of this posting, is "Fair Price", it looks like they are just trying to find a ballpark figure as a starting point. A fair price is usually what the market will bear for a product or service, or whatever both parties feel is fair.

breeder

Greedy? Really? OP should sell a dog that he/she's already put a lot of money into to get clearances done and show him to half of his points towards his championship already? Are you kidding me? He is of a lot more value than an 8 week old puppy that you have no idea how it will grow up or if it passes all its clearances. Although I've known breeders who have sold 8 week old puppies to unsuspecting buyers for $5000 with no guarantees and every string in the book attached, that is not the norm. You take your chances when buying a puppy, but with a young adult you know what you're getting and therefore they should be of much higher value. I would say $5-10k is definitely a fair price. You have an instant show dog/stud dog and if you have several bitches you would like to breed, you make up at least half of that in stud fees alone.

About 8-10K as soon as the dog is finish-able. If he got 9 points, but it is not going back to the ring for whatever reason, then probably about 5-6k. You really never get the money back from showing when you get a pro in the line.

Unless the pedigree is really something someone would want (are you get ANY inquiries??), I personally would not pay more than $3K. $1K for the dog, $1k for the clearances (did you do all or just hips/elbows/CERF?) and $1K for the show expenses to get his points. You can't expect to get all your money back. You could put him up for sale for $5K and know in your mind you won't go lower than *pick a number* and see what happens.

You'll have to see what the market bears. You might want to sell him but might not get any families interested in showing that want him. Put him up, but not the price and see who inquires.

If no one wants him and you don't either, then I would make him available as a neutered pet.

Be open to make a puppy back/stud services back and cut the cash fee.

I think the $5,000/$10,000 is right. He has clearances. He has nice pedigree, and that is up to the beholder. Has points. Anyone who does not want to pay you that much just wants the dog to use in their own back yard for puppy mill use. For their females and for friends females. The person who realizes his worth wants him to show and enjoy and yes, use at stud later if someone wants to use him. And in that mannner pay for part of the price. These dogs are not all about the $$$$$.

I recently sold my GrCh with all clearances for $2500.00 (Two thousand Five Hundred dollars).
Depends where your are, what the market is and what type of home they are going into. The home is the most important part of the deal.

$2500 for GCh.
I recently sold my GrCh with all clearances for $2500.00 (Two thousand Five Hundred dollars).
Depends where your are, what the market is and what type of home they are going into. The home is the most important part of the deal.

You got to be kidding me! Do you have another one??? I would buy!!!!

$2500 for GCh.

Untrained pups without clearances go for that much, that's ridiculous.

I would not even sell my boy that is not a champion but has all clearances for that. Was that AKC grand. I don't care where you live that is sad.

No I doubt if you would sell your boy for that amount, you have to get an offer first! Big difference in pricing and selling, I know of quite a few AKC champion boys who were sold for $800.00 to $1000.00 into pet homes. 9 points, well unless he was a young boy just starting out in the show ring with at least one major, a great pedigree, a recognizable kennel name, and AT LEAST something other than dominant black, maybe $3,000, maybe.........

Yes it's true I did sell him for that. People in my area will not buy a good lab. There are so many field trial labs and back yard breeders for sale from men who boast that their dog has "so-n-so FCh or MH" about 6 to 8 generations back that I can't even "give away" my better bred and clearanced dogs. Ask about clearances in my area and they say "yeah my vet felt her hips and said she's fine." It is really sad. I spend alot of time educating deaf ears.

An example - had some pet owners contact me about a puppy. Told them my pet price on a spay/neuter contract was $850.00. They had a cow!!!! Ended up buying one thru the newspaper for $300.00. The wife works @ my bank. One day while I was in making a deposit. Wife says "our puppy is really sick we have spent three thousand dollars on her and they still think it's going to die." Puppy ended up having some sort of weird embryonic renal cancer. Breeder told them "too bad, so sad." NO refund, no replacement puppy. And now she's asking me - what can I do? Ah, listen to me next time you moron!!! Of course I didn't say that - but I sure wanted to!

Now my GCH has a great home - sure I lost thousands - but who of us hasn't. Heck, my last dead-beat co-owner cost me thousands lol! My boy gave me joy and will continue to give his new family joy - that's what counts isn't it?

Sign me - In the wrong place most of the time.
But still love this breed!

I'm going to second what Gregg said - you can ask whatever you want but that doesn't mean that is what he will sell for.

Two important pieces of information are missing: 1) is he proven? and 2) are any of his points majors?

If he is 3 years old and no one has used him you can't really expect much. While there may be people out there who only breed based on color, wins and clearances that's likely not what someone who wants to buy a stud dog is looking for. Anyone looking to spend the amount mentioned by other posters is going to want a dog that is proven, easily going to finish his CH title (if he's 3 and no majors it suggests otherwise), and has a pedigree that will bring in outside bitches. Based on the basic information given I'd say fair price is no more than $2500 and that's only if someone is willing to pay it. Now if he has a specialty win in those 9 pts or has sired several litters that show he is a consistent producer than his value would be more. JMO

Where would a dog with a GRCH or 9 points be advertised? I for sure am in the wrong place at the wrong time, I guess. I just bought a pup with full registration 9 months ago for $3000, no clearances, not points yet, nice pedigree. Wow, I'd have been much better off with a pointed dog or GRCH! My goals are a CH which I can also title in hunt tests and performance. Where in the world are these studs advertised?

Most of those purchase arrangements are never advertised. Occassionally you will find a breeder listing an adult for sale. I have not seen anyone advertise a GCH or CH for sale on a website anywhere unless they were retiring the dog and they are being sold as pet only. Word of mouth is how those purchases begin on a younger GCH/CH dog.

I have a dog that was not shown much at all until he was 5 because he matured slowly and I was busy proving him in the field and the obedience ring. As a young dog he earned a few BBE singles and some nice specialty placements but it was not his time. When I decided to focus on his CH, he picked up both majors plus a single in his first 3 weekend of showing. He finished his championship very easily and a year later he looked even better. I personally prefer a dog that is competitive beyond puppy hood and will be long-lasting. Of course my goal was not to stand a dog at stud but to have an all-around breeding program, so it really depends on what people are looking for.

I purchased an AKC Champion 1 yr old male, no clearances, no pups, solid CH pedigree, for $1000 ( from his breeder ), and she guaranteed his hips/eyes. He has 13 GRCH points thus far, with two 5 pt majors, with me handling him. he passed ALL clearances, and has sired one litter, and shows he is prepotent ( dam was tightly linebred on different pedigree, so a complete outcross, and pups look and act like sire; I took a 7 mos old daughter to the vet yesterday, and the staff all asked if she was related to him! )..............everyone says I stole him!
I am ever so grateful to have him!

SORRY, that would scare me to death. A one year old CH. for $1,000. What does the breeder know that she did not share with you about the pedigree ? You don't give away your good dogs. There are many stud dogs out with great looks but I would not touch the pedigree. Does not mean they are not lovely or that they can't have pups. Just really would make me wonder. You get what you pay for. JMHO

Breeder you have no clue on the particular circumstance envolving this sale. I can see a sale like this happening, too many boys, too many dogs, good friends, co-owner agreements, didn't get along with another dog, etc. etc. etc.

And I want a boy from that sort of situation. Does not get along with other dogs. Temperament ! To many dogs, WHY ? Sad part is some of these so called nice boys are getting out in the puppy mill group. I guess, a $1,000 is nice. Still wonder why a breeder would part with one so cheap if AKC CH. I would neuter and place with a family. Cheaper than a pup.

Breeder
And I want a boy from that sort of situation. Does not get along with other dogs.

Who said "Does not get along with other dogs" I said DOG, singular, if you have not seen that you must be a real newbie!
To many dogs, WHY ?

Give me a break! You must really be new as in order to keep your numbers down you have to continually place dogs, read "Reaching for the Stars" or speak to any successful breeder who has been around 10-15+ years. You cannot keep them all!

Still wonder why a breeder would part with one so cheap

Again read my post above.

Breeder
And I want a boy from that sort of situation. Does not get along with other dogs.

Who said "Does not get along with other dogs" I said DOG, singular, if you have not seen that you must be a real newbie!
To many dogs, WHY ?

Give me a break! You must really be new as in order to keep your numbers down you have to continually place dogs, read MRW's "Reaching for the Stars" or speak to any successful breeder who has been around 10-15+ years. You cannot keep them all!

Still wonder why a breeder would part with one so cheap

Again read my post above.

Sorry Greg, been here showing, obedience, field, and therapy work for over 30 yrs. I have read Reaching For The Stars, own the old and the new. That is why I keep my number down. I don't want a dog with a bad temperament even to one dog. That is one to many for me. We all do things different. We will agree to dis-agree. I respect you alot.

LOL! My boy has THE nicest temperament! he is very sweet, and he gets along fine with other dogs, and loves all people! EVERY dog/bitch in 4 generations is a CH, he has 3 siblings who are GRCH, he passed every health clearance, and his pups are gorgeous and sweet tempered. no health problems in them thus far. his breeder, BTW, is a professional handler and has been breeding champions for many years, as has her mother. He is probably the nicest dog I've owned.I've had him for 1 1/2 yrs now, and he just gets nicer and nicer....sometimes you just get lucky, and things work out!
Also, he was sold as a baby to one of this pro handlers "helpers" ( a junior handler ), and she lost interest in showing, but had finished him by 12 mos old, with specialty class wins, and a regional specialty best in sweeps win. she returned the dog to his breeder, and the breeder sold him to me, to continue his show career as a special, which promotes her breeding program! He is a fabulous dog, and his breeder is pleased I am showing him, and his previous owner keeps in touch too, and is happy he has a wonderful home, and is being appreciated.

Nice pat yourself on the back! How did that relate to the topic question?

Just curious

several folks gave examples of how much dogs with various accomplishments were selling for.

Several people did say what they purchased and the amount, you just patted yourself and bragged about your accomplishments, OOOPS! their not yours their you dogs breeder's.

Pat away........................

WOW....your favorite color must be GREEN.tsk,tsk.your envy is unflattering.
just sayin, you CAN get a very nice dog, without mortgaging your home.

I haven't read all of the posts but did read a bunch. The thing I didn't read is that who you are makes a giant difference.