Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
sold a pup as show quality

Last year I sold my pick puppy on a co-ownership as show quality. I had sold this owner another puppy about 4 years ago under co-ownership, who had moderate success in the Breed Ring placing at a number of specialties, just no points. The owner wanted to take another try in Breed, thus the new pup. The puppy is now one year old and I saw him last week. Definitely not show quality, time will not help, just not.

The owner is not complaining, these dogs are her pets also, but I am feeling a little bad. I am tempted to offer her my pick from my next litter for free, but like I said, she is not complaining or asking. She has been a perfect co-owner, eager to hep with expenses when I showed her older dog. She has had dogs in the past with multiple titles in Breed, Obedience, & Hunt. A great dog owner.

Just looking for advice from some other breeders on what they would do in this situation. Offer her my next pick puppy or not?

Re: sold a pup as show quality

Being it takes about 8 show potentials to get one show quality grown up, are you ready to give her 7 more puppies?

BTW - to the OP - I do not call any puppy "show quality" but simply "show potential" as it is difficult to tell at 8 weeks what the puppy will grow up to look like, though after years it's easier within your own lines. But yes - it takes about 10 puppies (particularly boys) to get one worthy of keeping for the show ring and/or breeding.

This may not be exactly addressing the op, but from my experiences, if I were to try to get a "show puppy", I would shell out the big bucks and try for an older puppy...one that has been shown some. One where you can see the potential....not the promise. But, op it is nice of you to feel the way you do about the puppy. I've bought 3 puppies in the last 12-13 years...to show. One didn't pass prelims..soooo. He was a great pet, but died fairly early from cancer. Bought another, he started out fairly well, but just didn't become a decent show dog. He's now our pet. Bought another....love him...pretty nice...has some health issues. I've learned my lesson. I didn't want to get into breeding and won't, but it may be the only way to get what you want. I wouldn't recommend that to a novice....that's why my advice would be to buy an older puppy.

I replace/give another one for free if the dog has a disqualifying fault/do not pass clearances. Since these are her pets, she won't give them up, so you can offer a puppy for a better price the day that she asks for it.
If you would have kept the puppy, no one would have giving you a replacement. Would have she paid you twice as much money if the dog would have turned out to be a Champion? My point is that you can't make yourself responsible for all the losses because no one is going to share the wins with you. Bad things happen and more often than not.
Breeding and showing dogs is not an easy thing.

If after all that, she is still interested in a nice pup to show I would offer her another. No one can tell at 8 weeks if they have a show pup. Too much can happen for one thing with clearances. So you would have a pup that looks hopeful. Must be pretty bad if you can tell at a young growing age that the last one is not good. I look at 8 weeks, again at a year, again at 2 years. So the term show quality pup is just not real. We all take chances.

If you have good reliable client/partner then go for it and offer another pup. Good relationships in dogs is harder to get then a show potential puppy. How nice of you to offer the puppy to her as well. I have a breeder who owes me a puppy back because the one she placed with me did not pass her OFA hips and she won't honor her contract guarantee and I will never see that puppy back. It is a shame.

I started many years ago - had 3 purchases that did not work. I finally got a bitch that was not pretty enough to show and bred her up. That is the way to go - get a couple of bitches that may not be champion material and breed your own / run on a couple of puppies / gives her alot more to work with than one at a time

Kudos to you OP for considering doing a very admirable thing! Like many others, I've been down right screwed in this sport and your post reaffirms that there are still good people out there. If placing another puppy with your client is some thing she is interested in I think it could be a win-win for you both. Best of luck

I just wanted to thank and congratulate the OP on trying to do the right thing by this person. Coming from a person who has been trying to get a start in the breed and has had three unsuccessful starts with show quality puppies, I just wanted to say it can be very disheartening. I understand and agreed with what some have said about calling pups "show quality" when nothing is a sure thing. I agree that "potential" is a better word. On a side note, and not geared towards anyone, this is why I believe all pups should be sold for the same price. I have a friend that breeds Cain's and she sells pet pups for one price and other pups for another. I don't agree with this practice for all the reasons stated in this topic.

Absolutely offer it. It doesn't mean they will take you up on this litter, but definitely tell them to keep it in the back of their mind and if any any point there is a litter that interests them (I assume they've learned a lot about the breed and breed ring if this is their 2nd dog, let them decide when/who is the right pup).

I wish more breeders were like this. I for one am, and I'm happy to see others are as well. And don't make them give back their pet, that slays me. If the dog is happy/healthy, leave it there where it belongs.

I'm so happy to read this after reading how much people are willing to pay for a dog with 9 points. $10,000? Really?