Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swimmer Puppy

A breeder friend has a swimmer puppy born April 9th. She has never experienced this before, and I thought posting here for recommendations would be wise... I told her about a grippy surface so the puppy can get traction to use her legs... I know some tape their legs together to help them stay off their belly and to use legs together, but if anyone has a "recipe" for that it would be appreciated... All recommendations are welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Re: Swimmer Puppy

Abbey, I have no experience with swimmers but found this old thread with some good info.

Hope it helps. Good luck to your friend and her pup.

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=820055&cmd=show

I currently have two boys that were gaining weight so fast I could see them going in the direction of a swimmer. You could feel the flatness of their rib cages so I got on them right away.

I remembered some old thread on this forum that make suggestions for alternatives to hobbling from not so long ago.

I've been sitting with them in the evening with them craddled on their sides and just "petting" them across the rib cage. I did that for about a week, it seems to have helped at least head off the condition.

After a couple of days, I could get them to stay on their sides if I set them that way. The two boys are a bit behind their smaller litter mates in terms of agility but they are are starting to lay on their sides on their own and they're getting up on all fours.

A friend mentioned a "sock" method that doesn't use hobbleing. If you go to a site called "swimmerpuppy.com" there are a couple of similar methods as well as the sock method.

Good luck.

Abby, I had one. We used to keep him sleeping on his side whenever possible. Propped him up with toys and towels. By the time he was 8 weeks old, all was fine. Chest was well rounded. It only took a couple of extra days for him to walk with the rest of the litter. I did not resort to "tying" the legs. Patience is the key.

I am sooooo happy to report this swimmer walked tonight!!! With the help of you all, and 4 direct emails to me!! I will save all the info so I can perhaps help someone in the future :) This is a great result for the Forum :) Thank you all!

I have had several swimmers. Last summer my litter of 5 boys were all swimmers. I have had very good luck by putting them outside in the grass, whenever possible.

I had one with one of my litters and I filled my kitchen sink with warm water and "swam" the puppy to strengthen his legs .. I held his body with one hand and swam his limbs with the other just like he would if he was swimming on his own. I did this 4-5 times a day for 3 or 4 days and it worked like a charm ..