Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AKC bashing on the Today Show (Long)

I am not sure how many breeders saw the segment on the Today Show this morning bashing the AKC. If you missed it, let me tell you that we saw the first glimpse of what is to come. And for the first time, through some of the discussion I've seen on FB this today, breeders are suddenly feeling like they are being lumped together. No mention was made of reputable breeders, hobby breeders, small breeders, large volume breeders, etc. They referred to all AKC breeders as mistreating their dogs and keeping them in substandard conditions. Did we really think that we were above any one else in their eyes? Did we really believe that our ethics and our standards that we set for ourselves would protect us from those who want to end all breeding?

What better way to stop the small breeders than to keep them divided--to continue to brain wash them with anti-commercial breeding, anti-large volume breeders? And while some of you may not agree with it, it doesn't mean they are breaking the law and they have just as much right to breed. The Animal Rights groups make up a term that evokes a powerful emotional response. They show the photos of abused, neglected animals to go along with that term. What emotions get stirred up by the animal lovers who view them? Breeders, pet owners, pet lovers, they want to stop that abuse right? What better way to do so than to present laws with that term? Surely animal lovers will not read them and just hear that term and support such bills right? Never mind that there are provisions in these bills that will affect all breeders regardless of their breeding practices. The proposed APHIS rules and the PUPS bill are both prime examples. The AKC opposes these bills because they are looking out for us. And now it appears they've attracted the attention of these AR Groups. These groups are now attacking the AKC and trying to take them down because now they are the largest group standing in their way to get their agenda passed.

Today's piece on the Today Show is a warm up. This segment should be a wake up call to all breeders. We can't afford to keep bashing each other. Heck we even use that derogatory term on those in our breed that we don't like or agree with the way they chose to run their breeding programs. We have to stop this guys once and for all. You will not be spared by legislation no matter how reputable you think you are. When there are no more large volume breeders or commercial breeders left to stand up against these laws, we will be easy pickings.

The AKC knew this was coming and alerted many breeders via email and social media. They also came out with the facts that the Today Show did not tell you about them. Here they are:

The AKC is extremely disappointed that The Today Show was given all of the information below but chose not to include any of it in their segment this morning. We met with the producers for an hour prior to the taped interview – which also lasted nearly an hour – and we provided them with supporting documentation, and they chose only to include less than 1 minute of airtime for AKC. They disregarded important facts that should have been told. In fact, we requested to receive a copy of the tape of the entire, unedited interview with Jeff Rossen so that we could show you all of the information we gave them, but their lawyers refused to provide the footage to us. Here are some top facts that The Today Show didn’t tell you:

They didn’t tell you that no other organization does more to protect dogs than the AKC and that “being the dog’s champion” means, among other things, donating more than $24 million to canine health research, conducting kennel inspections, and offering more educational programs for responsible dog owners than any other organization.
They didn’t tell you that when an AKC inspector finds substandard kennel conditions they must immediately report it to the appropriate federal, state and local authorities to take action.
They didn’t tell you that, in many instances, the highly publicized raids for which animal rights groups take credit in the media have come about as a direct result of AKC’s reporting to law enforcement.
They didn’t tell you that, as we explained to Jeff Rossen and his producers numerous times, there are no “AKC Registered Operations” or “AKC Registered Breeders” and that breeders use AKC services voluntarily.
They didn’t tell you that less than 5% of AKC’s registration revenue comes from commercial breeders or that the AKC is a not-for-profit organization whose total revenues are less than the total marketing budget of the HSUS.
They didn’t tell you that AKC saw substandard breeders leave the registry in droves in the mid-1990′s when we instituted an inspections program. We did it anyway, even though it affected our bottom line negatively, because it was the right thing to do for dogs. And, more breeders left when we began DNA testing.
They didn’t tell you that when AKC has concerns with legislation, it publicly puts legislative alerts on its website where anyone can learn about how a bill may potentially affect responsible breeders and dog owners’ rights and not do anything to protect dogs.
They didn’t tell you that AKC works to ensure the enforcement of cruelty and neglect laws, as well as the provisions of the federal Animal Welfare Act. As a result, AKC has a productive working relationship with local animal controls, state and local law enforcement, state departments of agriculture throughout the country, as well as the USDA.
They didn’t tell you that AKC is well respected by lawmakers who consider us credible experts on dog issues, and rely on our thoughtful and considered advice when it comes to legislation that will impact dogs and their breeders and owners.
They didn’t tell you that the purebred rescue groups they referenced are actually AKC breed parent club groups and affiliates that make up the largest dog rescue group network in the country.
They didn’t tell you that The Today Show’s Natalie Morales made a TV public service announcement in conjunction with the Ad Council and the HSUS.
Please send your comments directly to the Producer of the Today Show Don Nash don.nash@nbcuni.com and the President of NBC News Phil Griffin phil.griffin@nbcuni.com.

Watch the segment on the Today Show website and then go to Rossen Reports and Today.com and NBCNews.com to post your comments in support of AKC and all the responsible dog owners and breeders in this country.

Re: AKC bashing on the Today Show (Long)

So why is anyone surprised at the liberal leftist media making this kind of report instead of digging into the facts surrounding what happened in Benghazi?

Mel
So why is anyone surprised at the liberal leftist media making this kind of report instead of digging into the facts surrounding what happened in Benghazi?

Mel, this isn't the time or place to hijack this thread. This is more important than that trivia.

Greg Lynch - Kellyn Labs
Mel

Mel, this isn't the time or place to hijack this thread. This is more important than that trivia.
Iwas not attempting to hijack anything. Merely an observation on what the syndicated news sources tend to focus on and ignore a balanced approach. Their report was stilted, biased and engineered to make the AKC spokesperson seem callous and ignorant. It was an insult to all reputable breeders. And, by the way, I hardly feel that anything related to what occurred in Benghazi could be referred to as trivial.

The AKC better put more aggressive and knowledgeable people to defend us all. What kind of answers were those????

Breeder
The AKC better put more aggressive and knowledgeable people to defend us all. What kind of answers were those????

Those were creatively edited to come out that way and make her look bad. It worked. They interviewed her for an hour and they took the worst of the worst only to make her look bad. This is why I don't trust those abuse videos that you are put out by the AR groups. Many are heavily edited/doctored and some are even staged by these groups in order to get the bang for their buck.

The first lie that came out was that the breeders they were showing in the segment were "AKC Registered Operations". Nope, not true, AKC does not license or register breeders. Therefore when asked how many breeders they have, of course she had no clue. Even if they asked how many breeders register dogs with them, she'd have no clue as the numbers vary from year to year and there are many people who register that one time litter, but don't necessarily consider themselves breeders. But instead of allowing her to explain this, they just edited it to make her look stupid.

It was nothing more than propaganda from the ASPCA and HSUS to slam the AKC.

If you have not watched this, do it now. You can find it on Today's website. http://www.today.com/news/akc-registered-breeders-raising-dogs-miserable-conditions-6C9640008 You will be appalled by what you see. Pascele is quoted and the ASPCA and HSUS are cited as "condemning the AKC" Ugh!

At the end you can add a comment to voice your condemnation this horrible segment and voice your support for the AKC.

Greg Lynch - Kellyn Labs

Yes, we all love our dogs, but the killing of Americans,including an ambassador is hardly "trivia". What a callous remark!

We all need to leave our comments on the Today Show website, although I don't think it will make any difference to them. There is a reason I stopped watching the Today Show a long time ago!

The general public thinks that an AKC registered litter confirms the quality of the litter. Sorry. . . that is reality. You WOULD think that people who are purchasing a family member would do some serious research themselves, but they don't. This is the same ignorance of the family who buys from a puppy broker who tells them that the puppies are home-raised by a wonderful minister and his family. Also, people will often comment that they don't want a "show" dog and therefore will go to a breeder that is not interested in any definition of quality.

Honestly, if my puppy buyers ask if they should register their puppy with the AKC, I tell them that the litter is registered and that unless they are going to compete in some way there is no reason to do it. I also tell them that the AKC does not confirm any kind of quality.

What WE need to do if we are fed up with the AKC, is to start our own Labrador registry like the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America has. Then, we can somewhat control what happens in our breed.

I for one am not fed up with the AKC. The AKC does so much for reputable breeders. Look at the money it donates to their Canine Health Foundation. Where do you think it goes? How do you think that some of the tests we have available might have come from? AKC offers some of the best educational material on their website for those looking for a puppy. They offer tons of educational material on how to be a responsible dog owner. They sponsor search and rescue in times of disaster. They have their CAR program for lost pets. They license and oversee thousands of dog events every year that I compete in. They are up to date on proposed anti-breeding legislation and oppose any that might affect even the little guys. Nope, sorry, am never fed up with the AKC. I am fed up with the Animal Rights Groups as they become more and more radicalized. I am fed up with them for bashing the AKC, now one of their biggest obstacles in getting anti-breeding legislation passed. I am fed up with the AR Groups for wanting to put an end to what I love to do. We should all be fed up with them. It's time to stand up and support the AKC for all they do for us!

Breeder
The general public thinks that an AKC registered litter confirms the quality of the litter. Sorry. . . that is reality. You WOULD think that people who are purchasing a family member would do some serious research themselves, but they don't. This is the same ignorance of the family who buys from a puppy broker who tells them that the puppies are home-raised by a wonderful minister and his family. Also, people will often comment that they don't want a "show" dog and therefore will go to a breeder that is not interested in any definition of quality.

Honestly, if my puppy buyers ask if they should register their puppy with the AKC, I tell them that the litter is registered and that unless they are going to compete in some way there is no reason to do it. I also tell them that the AKC does not confirm any kind of quality.

What WE need to do if we are fed up with the AKC, is to start our own Labrador registry like the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America has. Then, we can somewhat control what happens in our breed.

Yep - me too! I actually like the AKC - been very helpful to me. Has it grown into a large corporate empire that could probably do things better? Yep - but it's what we have and I supprt them!
Anon

As a matter of fact Greg... If you had done your homework you would see that FOX news is the ONLY news organization that has done any sort of GOOD reporting on REPUTABLE dog breeders and the AKC. I believe there was a video circulating on Facebook that got a lot of grief because it was seen that it was FOX and no one bothered to watch the video for it's content. So I am with Mel on this one. Take a look at who runs the ASPCA and HSUS... not all but most are democrats on the left wing... Stereotypical I know, however those are the facts.

As for the Today Show... I will never watch it again and I already E-mailed my words.

Actually....you are so right! I had not seen the video you were referencing so I googled Fox AKC video and found one which was aired on the Fox network morning show, Fox and Friends. I can't remember how many times they stressed the importance of finding a reputable breeder and educating yourself about a breed you might be interesting in getting.

It is all fine and good to leave your remarks on the Today show page, but that just absolutely reinforces their "journalistic" approach. If you take meaningful steps, hit their ratings by not watching, boycotting the shows' sponsors by saying that you will not buy their products as long as they support such shoddy types of shows, write to the network executives reiterating your reasons why you will not watch their network programs, etc, things might improve. It is a sad truth that much of what is put forth by the media is biased. If you continue to support a media outlet which supports the leftist agenda of the AR by giving them a platform from which to spread their propaganda etc, it will only continue to get worse. We all know that the AR movement is anti any type of dog breeding....so why support their platform?

First let me say I am not am admirer of NBC and certainly not the Today show. But I think the AKC might have finally got caught - with pants down. As far as I can tell, the AKC has been an indirect promoter of the puppy mill by encouraging the registration of puppies purchased at pet shops. I think this practice went into effect a few years ago when AKC was on a huge push trying to increase revenues. Imagine buying the puppy and the cashier hands the AKC papers to the buyer and -maybe- the buyer might register on the spot. Imagine the revenue potential - I mean they are a purbred registry after all. So, much as I dislike being lumped in with the bad guys, I think its time we all woke up and pointed the finger directly at the AKC on this. Maybe if we stop defending the AKC they will stop hiding behind the cause as a 'registry' to the detriment of those of us that support them. Just my 2 cents.

You do realize that registrations from commercial breeders (and many of the run a good clean kennel) only accounts for 5% of AKC's registration right? Perhaps you might want to take a look at all AKC does for YOU! I am sick of the AKC bashing and lack of support by some breeders. The AKC is standing up against much of the overly restrictive anti-breeding legislation and are now coming under attack by the animal rights groups. They are standing in their way of getting what they want--an end to all breeding.

Here is a statement from the AKC:
"The AKC is extremely disappointed that The Today Show was given all of the information below but chose not to include any of it in their segment this morning. We met with the producers for an hour prior to the taped interview — which also lasted nearly an hour — and we provided them with supporting documentation, and they chose only to include less than 1 minute of airtime for AKC. They disregarded important facts that should have been told. In fact, we requested to receive a copy of the tape of the entire, unedited interview with Jeff Rossen so that we could show you all of the information we gave them, but their lawyers refused to provide the footage to us.

Here are some top facts that The Today Show didn't tell you:
They didn't tell you that no other organization does more to protect dogs than the AKC and that "being the dog's champion" means, among other things, donating more than $24 million to canine health research, conducting kennel inspections, and offering more educational programs for responsible dog owners than any other organization.
They didn't tell you that when an AKC inspector finds substandard kennel conditions they must immediately report it to the appropriate federal, state and local authorities to take action.
They didn't tell you that, in many instances, the highly publicized raids for which animal rights groups take credit in the media have come about as a direct result of AKC's reporting to law enforcement.
They didn't tell you that, as we explained to Jeff Rossen and his producers numerous times, there are no "AKC Registered Operations" or "AKC Registered Breeders" and that breeders use AKC services voluntarily.
They didn’t tell you that less than 5% of AKC’s registration revenue comes from commercial breeders or that the AKC is a not-for-profit organization whose total revenues are less than the total marketing budget of the HSUS.
They didn't tell you that AKC saw substandard breeders leave the registry in droves in the mid-1990's when we instituted an inspections program. We did it anyway, even though it affected our bottom line negatively, because it was the right thing to do for dogs. And, more breeders left when we began DNA testing.
They didn't tell you that when AKC has concerns with legislation, it publicly puts legislative alerts on its website where anyone can learn about how a bill may potentially affect responsible breeders and dog owners' rights and not do anything to protect dogs.
They didn't tell you that AKC works to ensure the enforcement of cruelty and neglect laws, as well as the provisions of the federal Animal Welfare Act. As a result, AKC has a productive working relationship with local animal controls, state and local law enforcement, state departments of agriculture throughout the country, as well as the USDA.
They didn't tell you that AKC is well respected by lawmakers who consider us credible experts on dog issues, and rely on our thoughtful and considered advice when it comes to legislation that will impact dogs and their breeders and owners.
They didn’t tell you that the purebred rescue groups they referenced are actually AKC breed parent club groups and affiliates that make up the largest dog rescue group network in the country.
They didn't tell you that The Today Show's Natalie Morales made a TV public service announcement in conjunction with the Ad Council and the HSUS."

Sally - Why do we not see the elephant in the room
First let me say I am not am admirer of NBC and certainly not the Today show. But I think the AKC might have finally got caught - with pants down. As far as I can tell, the AKC has been an indirect promoter of the puppy mill by encouraging the registration of puppies purchased at pet shops. I think this practice went into effect a few years ago when AKC was on a huge push trying to increase revenues. Imagine buying the puppy and the cashier hands the AKC papers to the buyer and -maybe- the buyer might register on the spot. Imagine the revenue potential - I mean they are a purbred registry after all. So, much as I dislike being lumped in with the bad guys, I think its time we all woke up and pointed the finger directly at the AKC on this. Maybe if we stop defending the AKC they will stop hiding behind the cause as a 'registry' to the detriment of those of us that support them. Just my 2 cents.

And for those who said it couldn't happen to me or that you'll never accept breeders who breed differently than you do, here's another little tidbit for you:

"It will never happen to us responsible small breeders, they said. We are just far above those commercial kennels kennels, they said. The laws won't affect us, they said. Well read it and weep. The proposed rule would require all who own more than four “breeding females” and sell even one animal “sight unseen” to be regulated as a commercial breeder and subject to federal commercial breeder licensing, regulation and inspections requirements. For all those that have not been listening and saying it will not happen.... It's about to happen! This is why we have to fight people WAKE UP!
http://www.akc.org/press_center/article.cfm?article_id=4987#.UYQDRAhTcKA.facebook"

No one is saying you have to jump in bed with other breeders, just respect their rights to breed, just as you have the right to breed. We must unite in order to fight for our right to breed.

Mel
Greg Lynch - Kellyn Labs
Mel

Iwas not attempting to hijack anything. Merely an observation on what the syndicated news sources tend to focus on and ignore a balanced approach. Their report was stilted, biased and engineered to make the AKC spokesperson seem callous and ignorant. It was an insult to all reputable breeders. And, by the way, I hardly feel that anything related to what occurred in Benghazi could be referred to as trivial.
Mel, I am in complete agreement with all you said in both posts.

Greg, I can't believe that you feel the Benghazi travesty was trivial. You're an intelligent man that served this country if I recall correctly. How could you make that statement? This one's gonna stick with you, it's too strong of a statement to ever be forgotten.

Again, Thank you for being fair and balanced, more so than the big 3 network newscasts IMO.

so has the Today Show made any response to the outrage from so many breeders? I figured they would have had a comeback statement.

Why would you think they would reply with any sort of apology or be anything but happy that people are watching? They don't care that what they had on their program was offensive to some people. It made the AR people thrilled and so they are thrilled, too. The only way to have any reaction impact negatively upon them is to hit them in their pocketbook and ratings. Complain to the network executives that you will boycott their sponsors and refuse to watch any of their network shows. Contact their sponsors and inform them that you will no long buy their products. If enough people react this way then they "might" try and be a bit more responsible in their so-called reporting. NBC is one of the most biased networks out there with no regard to objective reporting.

responsed?
so has the Today Show made any response to the outrage from so many breeders? I figured they would have had a comeback statement.
They won't. How often do you see the 3 large networks retract anything or respond to their viewers that are unhappy with a news report?
They're aware smaller breeders are upset. Do you think they care? I don't think they do and doubt we'll ever see anything in the way of a response.

In Agreement
Mel
Greg Lynch - Kellyn Labs
Mel

And, by the way, I hardly feel that anything related to what occurred in Benghazi could be referred to as trivial.
Mel, I am in complete agreement with all you said in both posts.

Greg, I can't believe that you feel the Benghazi travesty was trivial. You're an intelligent man that served this country if I recall correctly. How could you make that statement? This one's gonna stick with you, it's too strong of a statement to ever be forgotten.

Mel, In Agreement, etc. - okay... admittedly a very, very, very poor choice of words on my part. There is NO loss of life - Benghazi, Beirut, Somalia, or anywhere else - that is trivial. I should have totally left that thought out of the discussion. But if anyone is interested, the thought that caused that ill-considered wording to come out was that there have been numerous other instances of attacks upon and loss of life involving Americans abroad serving in official capacities, going back to before the most recent Bush Presidency. I don't think what happened at Benghazi deserves any more or less attention than those others. All of these were tragic, and offensive to our Nation. But not one of them should be politicized, and this one just seems to me to be the subject of more politicization than any of the others. Having Benghazi interjected into this discussion seemed seem to be not pertinent to the discussion (not trivial) but my referring to it as trivial was uncalled for.

Greg Lynch - Kellyn Labs
Mel, In Agreement, etc. - okay... admittedly a very, very, very poor choice of words on my part. There is NO loss of life - Benghazi, Beirut, Somalia, or anywhere else - that is trivial. I should have totally left that thought out of the discussion. But if anyone is interested, the thought that caused that ill-considered wording to come out was that there have been numerous other instances of attacks upon and loss of life involving Americans abroad serving in official capacities, going back to before the most recent Bush Presidency. I don't think what happened at Benghazi deserves any more or less attention than those others. All of these were tragic, and offensive to our Nation. But not one of them should be politicized, and this one just seems to me to be the subject of more politicization than any of the others. Having Benghazi interjected into this discussion seemed seem to be not pertinent to the discussion (not trivial) but my referring to it as trivial was uncalled for.

The problem with Benghazi is that it has received little or no attention in the lamestream media, namely NBC. To tie this in with the original thread. It was suggested that is nothing is new from NBC, they air what fits their agenda and what makes their causes and president look good. Many feel that the way the Benghazi Terrorist Attack was covered or lack thereof by the NBC and other liberal media was a huge cover up. Wednesday will tell even more, but when you have the White House changing the talking points and blaming a stupid, low-budget video for the deaths of 4 Americans, yes, we feel lied to. Not to mention for nearly two weeks afterwards, the administration continued to blame the video, arrested the maker of the video (on what they say were probation violations), went on an apology tour in the Middle East after inciting more protests over a video that had been posted on Youtube months before the attack, and spent thousands on commercials over there apologizing for the video. Watching the Imams being interviewed who were calling for the protests afterwards, they admitted not even seeing the video, yet they "heard" about it through our administration and that was what had them all stirred up. Yet, the lame stream buried the story and quoting Hillary, "What difference, at this point, does it make?" Sorry I don't take kindly to our government lying to us and going on all the morning talk shows blaming someone's first amendment rights. From the documents now coming and what was reported on other news sites, they knew from the beginning it was Terror Attack. But our dear ol' President, in an election year, had just declared that the war on terror was over. It makes all the difference and might have made a difference in the out come of the election. It's no wonder they kept in under wraps.

NBC reports what they want, true or not. The AKC story was something we can all recognize as a sham and should be a warning not to trust them. The others, well, it depends on your point of view and how blindly you want to trust the lame stream media for your news. Another story NBC refuses to cover is the Gosnell murder trial. I am pro-choice, but I do not believe in late term abortion (which I believe is illegal). This man butchered babies and killed women and yet NBC hasn't said a single word. I suppose they are more interested in the Jodi Arias trial.

Regardless of how anyone feels about political reporting, this is a DOG forum and no place for political rantings. Let's face it, people lie - Democrats, Republicans, Rich, Poor - all sorts of people lie. Regardless, this forum was established for Labrador related discussions, and if they keep getting peppered with various off-topic rants, the reasons why many people come to this forum will no longer exist.

Hmm
Regardless of how anyone feels about political reporting, this is a DOG forum and no place for political rantings. Let's face it, people lie - Democrats, Republicans, Rich, Poor - all sorts of people lie. Regardless, this forum was established for Labrador related discussions, and if they keep getting peppered with various off-topic rants, the reasons why many people come to this forum will no longer exist.

If you don't like the topic, don't read it. No one is forcing you to read it. Face it with all the social media available to us now, this forum is rarely being read as it it. Don't blame the topics.

Lame stream media
But our dear ol' President, in an election year, had just declared that the war on terror was over....

NBC reports what they want, true or not.

My last on this subject, I promise.

First part of your quote, regarding the President declaring that the war on terror was over..... mmm, I think you mean Obama, but this image keeps popping into my head of the previous President standing on the deck of an aircraft carrier proclaiming, "Mission Accomplished".... about 10 years premature.

Second part, about NBC reporting what they want, true or not.... I understand your point precisely. I would just like to point out that Faux News and CNN have been caught far more often with their feet in their mouths than all of the "lame stream media" combined. I would also like to point out that while I understand your lament about the "liberal" media, the conservative right wing media is far more dominant in this country at this point in time. Just try to find a progressive talk radio station - in the Denver market, there is exactly one, and it's a very minor player here. All of the major outlets are saturated with the other side. I'm not saying either is wrong, but it is - in fact - the way it is. If anyone is getting hammered from all sides by media from the side standing in opposition to their views, it's the liberals and not the conservatives. Done - back to dogs and staying there.

Thank you Greg.

Greg Lynch - Kellyn Labs
Lame stream media
But our dear ol' President, in an election year, had just declared that the war on terror was over....

NBC reports what they want, true or not.

My last on this subject, I promise.

Second part, about NBC reporting what they want, true or not.... I understand your point precisely. I would just like to point out that Faux News and CNN have been caught far more often with their feet in their mouths than all of the "lame stream media" combined. I would also like to point out that while I understand your lament about the "liberal" media, the conservative right wing media is far more dominant in this country at this point in time. Just try to find a progressive talk radio station - in the Denver market, there is exactly one, and it's a very minor player here. All of the major outlets are saturated with the other side. I'm not saying either is wrong, but it is - in fact - the way it is. If anyone is getting hammered from all sides by media from the side standing in opposition to their views, it's the liberals and not the conservatives. Done - back to dogs and staying there.

Greg - You should have given your apology and stop with the liberal whinning.