Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fair price for socializing

I have a nice 1 year old female that doesnt care for the ring. I decided to asked a local handler to take my girl with her to a couple shows just to hang out and get some socialization. I was quoted $25 a day for boarding plus expenses. For 2 weeks with this handler she wants over $900. this seems high to me in price. What is a fair price?

Re: Fair price for socializing

I'm not sure I'd consider going with a handler perhaps on a truck with a bunch of other dogs to shows where the dog wasn't entered socialization. If this handler is busy setting up crates and keeping track of dogs she is showing how will your dog fit in with that? Will your dog be left in the truck or shuttled to the line up of crates that are ringside? Why not take your dog to handling classes yourself to try to get her used to showing and other dogs..maybe enter some matches or enter her at a few shows and meet the handler ringside?

Totally agree. Your dog can get more traumatized than socialized.

Why not take her to some handling or obedience classes?

I personally think is is a crazy price - $350for the boarding is reasonable, but the additional $550 should include training time and conditioning like they would do with any other dog in their care. Getting your pup used to all the different aspects of showing should be included. Mind you it's still a crazy amount of money for two weeks - What does this handler have planned for the 2 weeks as far as shows etc to show how they are spending your $550???

As an example - I sent out a 14 month old with a well known handler for 6 weeks, which included 3 show weekends - and cost me $1100 plus a bag of her food. Finished her Ch while she was out.

Why do I think the very big price is meant to scare you off. I suspect the handler really does not want to do this job.

Or, if she's nice enough, a handler will take her out and keep her out as long as they feel you're not close to the end of your budget, and then get her finished. I had a bitch out with a handler for 3 months like this, got pissed off after hearing back from some friends who were at the shows, took her back and finished her myself in four shows. Just sayin'.....

Take her to handling class and then find a responsible junior handler to show her. I have watched many a pro handler do this very thing. They use their juniors to socialize the dogs. You can't pay the junior handler any money, but you can buy them thank you gifts.

I don't know, if it were me, if the dog doesn't like the ring, why push it. I have a perfectly nice socialized boy with a few reserves, obedience titles, UKC Grand Champion and obedience titles..honestly, HATES the ring. There is nothing to socialize.

If you really think it's something other than just not liking the ring, do the work yourself. Take a handling class, an obedience class, get the dog a CGC, try rally.

I think the dog will end up traumatized going out with a handler that long. Not all dogs are cut out for it. I would fear the handler end up focusing on the winners and not the "along for the ride" dogs.

That is awfully high. I pay $10 boarding. I would enter the dog in the shows no matter how he likes it. How is your dog going to get used to the show ring if he doesn't get in it? 2 weeks with 3 weekends of showing would cost me about $800, handling included.

Breeder
I have a nice 1 year old female that doesnt care for the ring. I decided to asked a local handler to take my girl with her to a couple shows just to hang out and get some socialization. I was quoted $25 a day for boarding plus expenses. For 2 weeks with this handler she wants over $900. this seems high to me in price. What is a fair price?

I put an advert in our local paper for someone to take the dog and just treat him like a member of the family, take him out and about when they went out and did their family stuff. Had lots of responses, in the end I went with a lovely girl and her boyfriend who were both mad keen to have a dog but had also planned to travel internationally in 9 months time. So didn't want a permanent pet, They lived in his parents house ( minus the parents) and this dog went every where with them, to their sporting games to their training just treated like a normal family member. When I got him back he was considerably better than he was but still not what I like to see in the ring and he far prefers to stay at home so he does. Would I do it again, absolutely. Also had a lovely young couple from Sweden who were both out here for work for 12 months and had had to leave their Labrador back home. I paid for everything, food and any vet treatment if and when needed.

I did this a while back with a beautiful one year old youngster that had decided she liked shows but was confused about a judge going over her. It was a make or break situation. But, I felt it was worth the try. It was the best thing that I ever did. She was out for about 1 month with a terrific handler.
1. The handler was very kind and really liked the dog.
2. She was entered in a bunch of shows and I knew that the goal was not to win but to get her used to being examined. Until the last couple of shows she pulled away from judges but at one show, it all just clicked and she figured out that this is what happens all the time at shows and it is really no big deal.
3. On either end of the shows, she stayed in the handler's kennel as a dog and not as a pet. She got to exercise with a lovely dog every day.
4. It cost $1000.00 excluding the entries but including handling and expenses.
5. She subsequently gained great confidence and easily became a champion.

I was quoted $400-$450 month for the same thing
$12 boarding... You may want to try a different handler
This handler is in Texas