Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Diatomaceous Earth Application

First time using DE and have some questions: When putting DE in the yard, how do you apply it? Sprinkle the powder and then wet down, add to water first and spray or just sprinkle it on the grass? Does it need reapplied after mowing and bagging the grass clippings? How long after applying can the dogs go out on the grass? I've bathed the dogs, applied fipronil, washed and sprayed the house and was getting ready to treat the yard. Geez, haven't had fleas in a long, long time. Thank you.

Re: Diatomaceous Earth Application

Pet Owner
First time using DE and have some questions: When putting DE in the yard, how do you apply it? Sprinkle the powder and then wet down, add to water first and spray or just sprinkle it on the grass? Does it need reapplied after mowing and bagging the grass clippings? How long after applying can the dogs go out on the grass? I've bathed the dogs, applied fipronil, washed and sprayed the house and was getting ready to treat the yard. Geez, haven't had fleas in a long, long time. Thank you.

DE is pretty safe stuff....dogs can eat the food grade stuff.......i've also put food grade DE purchased from tractor supply on their beds, in their fur, on the rugs in their food.......good luck....wow, you really bag grass clippings???

Thank you but how do I apply it to the grass? Sprinkle dry, put in water and spray, sprinkle dry then wet down. Yep bag grass for my compost pile (only in the fenced area), other 5 acres just mow.

DE has to be dry to work well, so that the sharp edges hurt the insects. It is bad for all insects,or most at best, and you have to be a bit careful if you are using that much: you need a mask to prevent silicosis. A friend used to have a natural pest control business. She used one of those dusters in the house like you see in cartoons, and wore a mask. If you are just doing a bit, sprinkling works fine. I guess you could also use a lawn spreader. It kills the lady bugs and bees as well as the fleas. Then again, so does everything else except maybe the flea larvae eating nematodes.

The gentleman at the feed co-op suggested a flour sifter used close to the grass. How do the dogs not inhale it? Wouldn't that harm them. They sniff the ground as soon as they're out the door. Should I use something else on the grass in their yard that would be safer.