Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Litter questions

I can't wait to let my puppies go out side. How old and what temperature before they can go out?

At what age do you allow visitors? I've always waited until the puppies were around 5-6 weeks but I have 2 buyers that are anxious.

Thanks.

Re: New Litter questions

I know many wait longer than I do for pups to be seen. I allow pups to be seen and played with (shoes and coats left outside, lots of hand sanitizer) at 3 weeks. Pups are not selected until 7 weeks old after mine is chosen and temperament test done to be sure pup fits each families needs. This is how we've done it for 10 years and never have had an issue.

No one but me holds pups before eyes are opened as immunity is minimal those first weeks, not even hubby or children.

Thank you "US".

Nobody else has an opinion?

I usually let folks over around 4 weeks. I let my last litter out late, around 5 weeks because of snow.

Yeah, I usually let people start to see the puppies around 5 weeks, but just serious buyers, family and close friends. Again, lots of hand sanitizer and shoes/coats left in the house.

I, too, have never had a problem - but know your area of the coutry and check with your vet to make sure there hasn't been a recent outbreak of something.

Good luck!

We wait till at least 3 weeks,No visits before then. They have to leave shoes and coats outside, wash hands before touching puppies. I prefer to wait till 5 weeks when we have our Puppy Open House party, that way we do all the visits in one day. I did have a family that wanted to come up before as they wouldn't be able to make that day so I made an exception.

In the past we had visits on the weekends after 3 weeks, but as much as we love having visitors it leaves little time to get things done, this works out much better having it all on one afternoon and everyone is able to keep up with weekly photos and updates.

The weather here was warm the last few days so I put my 3 1/2 week old litter out on the deck with pads and shade and a shallow bowl with water for a few hours. Since they are teething they were unimpressed. ;) Next week they go out for longer periods.

Winters can be trickier they might only be able to go out for 10-20 minutes of play 4-5 times a day depending on temps.

It depends on the people for me. I do allow quiet, mature adults in prior to 5 wks. I do not allow families w/ younger kids to come until after 5 wks since I think too many visitors can stress the moms before that, and at 5 wks, I've given a Neopar vaccine so I've got some protection in place against parvo. I still ask them not to visit dog parks, pet stores, other breeders, etc that day and pls leave any other family pets at home.

Actually prior to 3 wks, immunity should be quite good (assuming mom's immunity was), but again, it's more about not stressing mom. And the pups may still need help w/ body temperature management up to that point.

I have a litter of almost 4 wk olds and have had at least 3 sets of visitors so far. Will have the one guy puppy sit for me this weekend, so sometimes, it's a necessary evil between work and other needs.

I will move my pups out into a bigger pen probably this weekend or early next week (after 4 wks old) btw, where they will have access to some sunshine and adventure a couple times a day. Right now, it's actually too hot here imo. This chart may help you as well: http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/DevelopmentalStages.html

Not before 5 weeks. You have one scare and you get very protective. Outside at 5 weeks for play also. Short time. I don't have many come, most pups go out of state and they just come at 8 weeks and pick them up. Friends can come play 3 weeks on. They know not to go to pet stores, vet, other kennels before they come and the clorox tub.