Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Purchasing and Using Laser

I read someone on here recently that purchased and used their own laser. I have a lick granuloma on a paw of a returned pup which I know would benefit from laser. It's $70 at my vet just for first treatment. I'm comfortable trying it myself on a paw. Anyone buy one and if so where and which one? And any suggestions/hints on use, much appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Purchasing and Using Laser

That would be me. I purchased one from Respond Systems, you can rent one for 3 months for around $1300 plus tax with a credit check. I rented to own one years ago for a bad surgical wound on one of my dogs legs, it was running me $125 a week plus time and gas to get to the rehab center and they were only charging $25. I figured it was more cost and time effective to do it that way, I ended up letting my Accupuncture vet take over the payments as at the time I couldn't justify the cost after 5 months. That was a mistake!!!

Suffice to say I will never be without one, the many issues that my last one treated were the wound, an Avulsion Fracture of a Cruciate on a 5 1/2 months old puppy that was returned to me, the nerve from my own thumb surgery,arthritis treatments for the older dogs, and numerous other uses.
2 years ago I got a burn on my finger and thumb and top of my leg when I dropped molten plastic on them, I went down to my vets to use the laser for my dog and while there lasered my hand, I couldn't reach the leg, the burn healed quickly with no pain and no scar on my hand, the leg still has a small area where the blister was after 2 years.
Techinically these are only for veterinary use but they are indispensable for so many other things. A lick granuloma should heal in 1-3 treatments unless it is severe and may take up to 5.