Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Length of Back

I am looking for stud dogs that would help to shorten length of back. I attend many shows, mostly specialties, some all-breed, and have done lots of research for stud dogs. Would still like to get feedback from others. No flames please.

Re: Length of Back

Maybe include your email so people can send you info privately.

Wish I could help. There does seem to be alot of stud dogs with longer backs. I like the shorter on the boys. Just talking backs. Don't start the thread with short legs and all that. The Labradors is suppose to have a square body, not long. Sometimes the front looks like it goes with a different dog. Too much front or maybe too little rear. Pictures make it hard, you can not tell if they are distorted. Good luck, keep looking.

Old thread on this topic: http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=796055&cmd=show

Breeder too
Wish I could help. There does seem to be alot of stud dogs with longer backs. I like the shorter on the boys. Just talking backs. Don't start the thread with short legs and all that. The Labradors is suppose to have a square body, not long. Sometimes the front looks like it goes with a different dog. Too much front or maybe too little rear. Pictures make it hard, you can not tell if they are distorted. Good luck, keep looking.

If the dog were square he could not get out of his own way and move properly.....he would be stepping all over himself! The Labrador should be slightly longer than tall. Your don't want a dog too long in the loin.

Great thread! Thank you for posting!

just found
Old thread on this topic: http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=796055&cmd=show

Nonono
Breeder too

If the dog were square he could not get out of his own way and move properly.....he would be stepping all over himself! The Labrador should be slightly longer than tall. Your don't want a dog too long in the loin.

Oh yes they are indeed square.

Nonono

So not true! My perfectly square dog moves so beautifully with effortless movement and good reach and drive. He does not crab or side-wind at all. The standard does describe a square dog, but does allow for "slightly" longer than tall. So many of the dogs in the ring today are way more than "slightly" longer.

Agree! I have a couple of girls who are short in loin and shorter backed and gorgeous movers.

If you've ever seen Ch Sureshot Baloo - he is also short backed/short loined and one of the nicest movers I have seen - both reach and drive!

There seem to be very few dogs who are truly square and also have good reach of neck and turn of stifle. Many square dogs move cleanly because their angles are fairly straight and prevent the feet from interfering - this is not the same as movement with good reach and drive. Many all breed judges seem to love the square upright dogs with the shorter necks, but they are not made to work efficiently. It is a fine balance to keep good coupling as well as the nice length of neck and good rear angles, and the dogs that have this are few and far between. And just because the dog itself has these traits does not mean he reproduces it.

I must have one of those rare dogs then. Beautiful angles front and rear, but not over done or over angulated. I had a champion years ago who was very square, but had a lot of rear angulation. It was not in balance with his front and he would side-wind and straddle himself. My current boy has a very nice turn of stifle, short well-bent hocks, but not over angulated. And, he moves very true. It's not as common, but I do see a lot of longer backed, longer cast dogs who have no rear angles either and are so loaded with bone you have a hard time finding their hocks. I do prefer a fair amount of dog but not over done and I don't like the long look at all. I look at so many of the European dogs and they've managed to keep the Lab much truer to type than we have. A nice square dog, balanced angles that are just enough, moderate and beautiful, kind heads. We have many over here still, but it seems the trend for the long, over done dogs still reigns at most specialties. I cringe at some of these dogs. They definitely stand out in the ring though and I suppose that's why they win. They're just caricatures of what the Lab should be.

Dogs
There seem to be very few dogs who are truly square and also have good reach of neck and turn of stifle. Many square dogs move cleanly because their angles are fairly straight and prevent the feet from interfering - this is not the same as movement with good reach and drive. Many all breed judges seem to love the square upright dogs with the shorter necks, but they are not made to work efficiently. It is a fine balance to keep good coupling as well as the nice length of neck and good rear angles, and the dogs that have this are few and far between. And just because the dog itself has these traits does not mean he reproduces it.

Nonono
Breeder too

"length from the point of the shoulder to the point of the rump is equal to or slightly longer than the distance from the withers to the ground"
Longer dogs tend to move better. The real deal is to get a short dog that can move well.

Searching
I am looking for stud dogs that would help to shorten length of back. I attend many shows, mostly specialties, some all-breed, and have done lots of research for stud dogs. Would still like to get feedback from others. No flames please.

Look for dogs with good scapula lay back and you'll generally see strong backs and good length of neck. You also want good length and angle on the humerus for good reach when striding out, running and jumping. Good fronts are hard to find in this breed right now.