Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
When do you do entropian surgery?

I have a pup with bilateral lower lid entropian. His lids were tacked 3 weeks ago with moderate improvement. We'll see the vet again next week. He's almost 5 months old. How long to you wait to see if they'll outgrow it and when do you do surgery? His sister had one lower lid also, but she outgrew it by 14 weeks old without a tack.

Any experiences, knowledge is appreciated.

Re: When do you do entropian surgery?

I had a 4 month old who had an entropian surgery. Came out perfectly. She had the goopy eyes for a month before that. Never saw it again in my breedings, generations after

Re: When do you do entropian surgery?

I had a bitch who had unilateral entropion and was tacked on and off for months. It was not going away on its own. She was my pick pup, but I would not breed her if it did not go away. Finally at 8 months I had her spayed and had her eye fixed while she was under. She healed fine and I hadn't seen it pop up again for many generations. I had another pup in my last litter that had bilateral entropion and he was tacked on and off. Finally got neutered and fixed the eyes at 10 months. It's still in the lines. Entropion is not a fun problem to deal with as you can't screen for it and it hides for a few generations and then comes back to bite you again.

Re: When do you do entropian surgery? - What about Ectropian?

I see what everyone has said about entropian but what about Ectropian? I have a girl that did not show any signs of eye issues until 7 months when she really started to mature and her head develop. She is now 11 months and was just diagnosed with Ectropian. I know she has alot of growing to do but her eye's are constantly irritated so would love any input for someone who has been through this. She is currently on medications for her eye's but I really don't want this for her long-term.