Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Seizures

Hi all, I have a 6 year old Hooligan that has had 2 maybe 3 seizures where he has dropped to his side, started to tremble and saliva came out of his mouth, in all occasions I was there and I just caressed him gently for about 5 minutes and when he looked a bit sturdier stood him um and although woobly he solidified and went on his way. Any thoughts? There has been approximately 6 months intervals between these seizures. I am not skirting taking him to a vet, but would like a bit more knowledge on this. I would appreciate any input I could get on the subject. Thanking all in advance, and for the funny ones, no, he didn't get into my rum & coke!

Re: Seizures

You say in all instances you were there, but you can't know if it is happening when you aren't there.

If you can, take a video of what is going on so your vet can see it.

Not all seizures are epilepsy. You should take him to the vet and rule out everything else with bloodwork.

Laura
Not all seizures are epilepsy. You should take him to the vet and rule out everything else with bloodwork.
True. Most epileptic seizures are seen by age 4 the oldest but as mentioned, what if you've missed prior seizures. I can't imagine how many are not seen with dogs kenneled all of the time.

I would try to get him to the vet asap after a seizure. If it is epilepsy and you missed earlier seizures in earlier time, the vet can do blood test to check for many things. That includes certain epileptic signals related to the muscles for example. They can also look for signs of problems with different organs such as the liver and kidneys which could trigger non-epileptic seizures.

A vet visit should occur immediately, probably sooner especially after 3 seizures in a 6 month span.

As a rule of thumb... they say for every seizure you do see there are two you don't see
I'd do a blood panel right now so you have a baseline and then do a blood panel after the next seizure.

First, yes - have your dog checked out. And then PLEASE submit a blood sample for epilepsy research. You can search the forum for information on that. Ideally the more samples you can submit from the pedigree (siblings, parents) the better. Even if not epilepsy, it will help with the research.

Thanks!

could this be EIC ?