Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Antlers

Just wandering of any one has had any trouble with antlers cracking or chipping teeth. I have a 6 year old girl that has just cracked a molar in half and chipped another molar on the other side. I do not know what actually cased this but have a lot of antlers and am just trying to rule things out. Thanks for any input, Sara

Re: Antlers

Sorry about the broken teeth. I've read that chew toys for dogs should have a bit of "give" to them - if you give them bones for example - the bones should be from young animals so they are a bit softer. Hard things like older animal's knuckle bones and antlers when chewed can break teeth. Imagine a length of antler in the dog's mouth back between the molars. The action of the dog biting down on the antler can push it down like a lever on the inside of their mouth and shear off the inside of a molar. My dogs love antlers....dang it - I suppose broken teeth are in my future - I do however only give the antlers to the youngsters that are teething; and only short pieces that they just nibble on......

Re: Antlers

I have not had any problems with broken teeth with antlers (knocking on wood, and that probably jinxed me...). For whatever reason, I would fear weight bearing bones (marrow bones) more than antlers. Antlers seem to wear down gradually, and weight bearing bones fracture when chewed (kind of like the teeth chewing them).