Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Specialty in Canada?

Question on how to prepare. I've never been to a Specialty in Canada before. Just wondering if there are special requirements for the dogs when crossing the border?

Re: Specialty in Canada?

It's been a few years though.

I remember having to contact the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC) and getting a ERN (event registration number) for my US bred and born dogs. That was so the points they took could be awarded to them under CKC rules.

I also had to take proof of rabies vaccination and I did a health certificate as well, although my customs agent didn't care about the health cert, just the rabies.

I also could only take enough food for that day. My customs agent confiscated the rest of it (something about bringing mad cow disease into Canada) and made me buy the dog food I would need while in Canada from a Canadian source.

It's been about 6 years since I was up there - so hopefully someone else will chime in - but for sure - contact the CKC.

Have fun and good luck.

You need a passport or an enhanced drivers license.

All you need is a Rabies Certificate for the dog!

ERN Number - you can apply for that after you gain your first points - really easy!

Have a great time!

If you come up, and please do, just buy a bag of dog food at home that will serve the timeline purpose and bring it sealed. They will not take a brand new sealed bag off you

Make sure you have your entries. They wanted to see that I was actually going to a dog show , with entered dogs that equaled the entries. They tend to think you are selling puppies , and of course they want their duty on that.