Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What is happening to names?

I do not want to start a fight and don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but.... what in the heck is happening to our registered names?

Some of them are getting so blooming long and just plain dumb!

Remember people these names may live on for a long time in pedigrees and how do you want your dog, yourself and your kennel remembered?

I could give a thousand examples - but here are two examples of classic and classy names:
Ballyduff Lark and Hawksmoor Webster. Don't you agreee?
Easy to say, easy to remember.

Not like -
"Good Ol' Boy's Little Black Chassis from Acorn Tree's Millpond v Warburton." call name Millie (btw that's made up but I have seen some just as crazy)

I guess I believe in K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid).
Any thoughts and let's not start a fight, just ask ourselves and each other are we over-doing it on the name thing?

TIA

Re: What is happening to names?

I love the clever names... And it's also nice to include the kennel name of both the breeder(s) and the owner(s). I don't mind what length they are.

You can be classy in your own way and have all classic names for your kennel...

BTW - using "but" in a sentence negates everything before it. For example "I don't want to insult you but you're ugly" really means "I'm going to insult you anyway." So when you say right off the bat, "I do not want to start a fight and don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but...." it sounds like you won't mind a fight and you don't care if you hurt anyone's feelings. Just sayin' for future reference.

if that's your biggest worry about the breed today, save your strength.

Part of it is co-owns. Then AKC added extra letters for a fee. So breeders are taking advantage of it to have the name they want.

My guess is this is going to tun into a blanking match and that's you're own fault. What did you think breeders with long named dogs will say? It won't be they agree with you.

Everyone needs to do it their way. I like two word names long or short plus my kennel name. The difference I don't tell others what to do or that I don't like any of their dogs' names. You know breeders will get upset with your posting.

To each their own.

I get the whole co-ownership thing were we have to include all the kennel names however, when I can I prefer short, one word names and no, I will not include any reference to the stud dog :)

We name all of our dogs after a theme/pattern. My teens come up with most of the names. They may be long, but they have a ton of meaning for our family and are related to memories and family activities we've enjoyed together. Do what you like with your names, we'll continue to do what we like - names that have meaning for us, and yes, some are really long :)

Nancy Boyle
I love the clever names... And it's also nice to include the kennel name of both the breeder(s) and the owner(s). I don't mind what length they are.

BTW - using "but" in a sentence negates everything before it. For example "I don't want to insult you but you're ugly" really means "I'm going to insult you anyway." So when you say right off the bat, "I do not want to start a fight and don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but...." it sounds like you won't mind a fight and you don't care if you hurt anyone's feelings. Just sayin' for future reference.

Then there are those who steal another person's long standing kennel name, as if it's nothing.... like "Cedarwood", for decades only seen on the West Coast under Dianne Sullivan with many, many dogs finished under that prefix. Then magically this kennel name appears in the Northeast, in Maine. Tell me, how does this sort of thing happen, ethically speaking? Oh, wait.... never mind.

oh here we go with that ridicules Cedarwood BS again.. are you just repeating what you have had drummed into your brain or have you done your homework????? Hmmmm, l thought not because if you had you would know that the other Cedarwood has been around just as long......just saying

LOL, most of the time I don't care, but honestly, I can't stand some of the ridiculous names. And call it shallow, but I would not be able to bring myself to use a stud with a silly call name like Kona's Chunkadoodle Monkey or something like that. I wouldn't want to have to repeat it to people or see it my future pup's pedigree. I am sure lots of these names are dear to folks because kids gave the names or they are inside jokes, but still.

Thank you Nancy for the English lesson, I think I knew that (but)....must have forgotten that rule. It makes sense. Using "but" in my causual talk, texting and posting is a bad habit I need to break.

And to "here we go again." I am not telling anyone what to or how to come up with their names. I get it. I think some of them are hilarious and very clever. I get the co-own thing and mutiple kennels on the same dog too.

I'm just voicing my opinion and most people are playing nice - it almost got hijacked on the Cedarwood issue but came back.

Thanks to the other posters for sharing your thoughts. I think for me reading a dumb overdone name is like seeing a novice exhibitor show up in the breed ring with a web buckle collar and a chain lead. Or the obedience ring with a slip-lead. You pull them aside and try to help them - give them some advice.

I name and register all my dogs with the owner's input they can choose any call name they like. This works for me - but (lol) I can see it wouldn't work for everyone.

Peace.

Oh, brother....
Nancy Boyle

Then there are those who steal another person's long standing kennel name, as if it's nothing.... like "Cedarwood", for decades only seen on the West Coast under Dianne Sullivan with many, many dogs finished under that prefix. Then magically this kennel name appears in the Northeast, in Maine. Tell me, how does this sort of thing happen, ethically speaking? Oh, wait.... never mind.
The same has happened to others. Woodhaven now Kelrobin and many more.

The more common the kennel name the higher chance it will be cloned.

Why worry what others name their dogs through AKC. Their conformation has nothing to do with the name or their chance of winning.

OP is looking for an argument, don't let her get her way. Of course her dogs names are absolutely perfect.

Me
LOL, most of the time I don't care, but honestly, I can't stand some of the ridiculous names. And call it shallow, but I would not be able to bring myself to use a stud with a silly call name like Kona's Chunkadoodle Monkey or something like that. I wouldn't want to have to repeat it to people or see it my future pup's pedigree. I am sure lots of these names are dear to folks because kids gave the names or they are inside jokes, but still.

Actually, the call name would have nothing to do with what would show up in your pups' pedigrees. And if you are picking stud dogs on the basis of names, whether registered or call names, rather than what is best for your bitch, you are going to have far bigger issues to deal with. Some people never get past the superficial, I guess.

The older I get, the more I want people to leave me alone. The older I get, the more I learn the importance of leaving other people alone. Why is it anyone's business what you name your dog? I don't understand the need to tell others what they should or shouldn't name their dog. If you want a short name, by all means, name it something short. If you want a long name, by all means name it something long. The AKC allows for longer name. In other words, butt out!

Don't you just love it when the nasty people pipe in - never a decent discussion - just start throwing the nasty comments around.

Wow 2.0

Wow 2.0
Don't you just love it when the nasty people pipe in - never a decent discussion - just start throwing the nasty comments around.

Wow 2.0

Kind of like what you just said. LMAO! My point? Calling people nasty is nasty. Hypocrite!

BTW you are not breeding a dog to another dogs name, you are breeding to a dog of quality to improve your breeding program. Talk about shallow. Now it makes sense of why there are so many breeders who fail and don't ever breed any champions. If you are not going to breed to a quality dog because of a name on a pedigree you best just give it up.

Oh don't worry about me - I have 7 AKC champions to date, 1 GCH., 2 canadian CH's - I don't call that failure. Two have won their classes @ Potomac, 1 BIS, 1 BOSS at a National Specialty another took her class at the National. Plus numerous class 1sts and placements @ specialties

All of them are CERF'd, echo'd, hips, elbows and EIC tested clear before I breed them.

To my way of thinking - thats not shallow or superficial - it's a diligent and sucessful breeding program.

Back to my original post and my opinion - some names are getting stupid and riduculous and way too long. You don't have to agree with me, if you think they are cutesy - then go with the flow. But do know there are some people who think they are dumb.

But them you'd probably argue with someone if they discreetly told you that you had bad breath and start calling their mother names - because they are wrong and shallow and you are right.

Peace Out!

I love a funky name!! And could care less about how long or short it is...all of our dog names actually mean something to me and if it bothers someone else, well..unless they're paying my feed bill, I really don't care!! ;-)

And I bet you have problems with Moon Unit and Dweezil too.

No I thought they fit, actually loved Frank Zappa - Dweezil didn't like Dweezil though - he changed his name to "Rick".

Did you even look at the example I gave in my original post?

I did not say I didn't like clever or funky names - I do.

I did not say I do not like theme named litter's - I do.

I did not say I wouldn't breed to a name I didn't like - perhaps I would if he had what my bitch needed.

I did say I understood co-owners both using their kennel names.

I did say I understood co-breeders using multiple names.

I did not say I wouldn't eat them in a box,

I did not say I wouldn't eat them with a fox.

Oh, wait those last two are Dr. Suess lines. Just thought I should break it down so some of you could understand I guess.

The suppositions, crankiness and fight-picking on this forum is crazy.
Everyone of you could have responded in a positive way saying what you did in a nicer way - but you chose not too. That's on you not me. Think I'm a bitch -that's okay too.

Look back and read each one of the posts again and you'll see I have tried to be ver nice. Others drew first blood - not me.

I remain firm in my belief that dumb names are dumb names. I will try to help my puppy buyer friends and others if they ask my opinion. I never tell someone what to name their dog.

I let my puppy buyers pick their own names, and while some of them can be a little strange, as long as they meet my 3 requirements (my kennel name must come first, nothing offensive and nothing political) I really don't care - it is their dog, and naming a dog is a personal thing.

I personally do not like long registered names because it is a pain when filling out entries, etc. I think some people are more clever than others when naming dogs and some are just funny, like the field dog "Kennel Name No Here Heel"

Thank you "Names" - this is where I was hoping this thread would go. It is a pain when registering for shows, filling out cert & clearances paperwork. I too, do the same thing you do, my kennel name first, then they shoot me their ideas on what they what the registered name to be.

But (sorry Nancy) since I am paying for the puppies registration we come to a compromise (only if we need to), their choice is usually fine. However, one guy wanted to name a big black boy puppy "My Kennel name The Big Jig." I squelched that idea as it was racist. If I hadn't monitored that, wow how embarrassing it would have been forever!!

As I said in my OP my kennel name lives on in pedigrees, and I for one don't want it to be corny, offensive, too long or dumb.

Again, thanks for your thoughts Names.

Hi all,

I have started a little tradition in my dog names. Every puppy is named "Just" something simple. Here are the names of my last three.

Ch. JonValer Just Jorja
JonValer Just Buick
JonValer Just Hudson

This tradition comes from northern Saskatchewan early 1900's. My great-grandfather had a harness trotter named Bill (just Bill). He was favored to win the provincial trotting race, so the family legend goes, and when the newspaper reporter asked the name of the horse, g-g-pa answered "just Bill."

Well the next day the newspaper cames out and the headline reads "Just Bill" favored to win race. The legend also goes on that Bill was poisoned just before the race - injected with something toxic just like the great Austrailian racehorse Pharlap. G-g-pa and his driver were told if they could even get Bill up on his feet and get him to the track, they could claim the prize. Sadly, Bill was too far gone, he died in his stall.

I would love to research that story someday.

Since that time our family must have had about 10 horse named Just Bill II, Just Buck, Just Cheri, Just Cinnamon, Just Bill III, Just Pearl, Just Lacey, etc. etc. etc.

I like it - call it corny or weird.

Valerie Jones

BTW, regarding Cedarwood Kenels in Maine - they have been in the breed for 40+ years.... Did you maybe think that back in the 70's before the internet both kennels may have started and evolved... Seriously, the mentality of some people...

back in the day
BTW, regarding Cedarwood Kenels in Maine - they have been in the breed for 40+ years.... Did you maybe think that back in the 70's before the internet both kennels may have started and evolved... Seriously, the mentality of some people...

True, but the Cedarwoods Labradors out west was the original, and used it first. A request to not use the same name was denied. The only thing that was changed was Cedarwood Labradors was changed to Cedarwood Kennels, but the kennelname Cedarwood remained the same.

breeder
back in the day

True, but the Cedarwoods Labradors out west was the original, and used it first. A request to not use the same name was denied. The only thing that was changed was Cedarwood Labradors was changed to Cedarwood Kennels, but the kennelname Cedarwood remained the same.

How do you know they used it first? Where is your absolute proof.... so tired of this story, get over it already. The name evolved at the same time back before the internet when things where so very different. I wouldn't have changed my kennel name either simply because I was sent one of the 'letters'

Really!
breeder
back in the day

How do you know they used it first? Where is your absolute proof.... so tired of this story, get over it already. The name evolved at the same time back before the internet when things where so very different. I wouldn't have changed my kennel name either simply because I was sent one of the 'letters'

There wasn't any argument at the time about who used it first, so no absolute proof is necessary. . The east coast Cedarwood did not deny that the west coast Cedarwood had it first. That was not the issue.

Years ago I loved how Mr. Kelly (Bradking)named his dogs. Short and sweet. It's so nice when you can remember the call name, and the reg. name, all at the same time. Like "life", keeping it simple is a good thing.

Amazed Breeder
No I thought they fit, actually loved Frank Zappa - Dweezil didn't like Dweezil though - he changed his name to "Rick".

Did you even look at the example I gave in my original post?

I did not say I didn't like clever or funky names - I do.

I did not say I do not like theme named litter's - I do.

I did not say I wouldn't breed to a name I didn't like - perhaps I would if he had what my bitch needed.

I did say I understood co-owners both using their kennel names.

I did say I understood co-breeders using multiple names.

I did not say I wouldn't eat them in a box,

I did not say I wouldn't eat them with a fox.

Oh, wait those last two are Dr. Suess lines. Just thought I should break it down so some of you could understand I guess.

The suppositions, crankiness and fight-picking on this forum is crazy.
Everyone of you could have responded in a positive way saying what you did in a nicer way - but you chose not too. That's on you not me. Think I'm a bitch -that's okay too.

Look back and read each one of the posts again and you'll see I have tried to be ver nice. Others drew first blood - not me.

I remain firm in my belief that dumb names are dumb names. I will try to help my puppy buyer friends and others if they ask my opinion. I never tell someone what to name their dog.

Please take your meds.

Thank you "For real?" did you take yours?
That was so helpful - really contributed to where this thread was intended to go - if the thread is above your IQ - prolly best to just keep your mouth shut - er your fingers still.
Have a good day!