Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thoughts on Pano

5 1/2 mos old pup comes down with Pano. He has been on puppy food but not an over the top high protein puppy food. My question is should I switch him over to adult food with low protein or keep him on a low protien puppy food? He is also in very good condition, no extra weight on him at all. I am open to suggestion on a good low protein diet as well as any supplements I can give him to help him thru this. And is protein the only culprit?

Re: Thoughts on Pano

Switch him to adult food. Your concern is not warranted. Puppies here have been eating adult food exclusively for a long time. No issues.

I agree, adult food. Do you know the protein/fat on what you are feeding now?

It has more to do with calories than % protein or fat. So, he could eat more of a low calorie food, less rich.

5 1/2 mos. is also the time that OCD could surface. Just wondering if you are sure it is pano.

I've had pano on all kinds of food from 2 different lines. I stuck with whatever food they are on and add Vitamin C 500 mg human grade pill, Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM human grade pill to kibble once a day. These supplements help them get over the Pano quicker. Of course crate rest or decreased exercise. Mine have all recovered within 2 weeks with these supplements added.

Funny that when I went back to a high protein food -32%, which has glucosamine and chondroitin in it and I add Vitamin C, the pano occurrences stopped.

Should have added, I've had great success with an OCD pup also with the above Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM and 500 mg Vitamin C daily supplements - the pup is now 18 months and hunts and runs without surgery and without any limp. The family faithfully gave the supplements and rested pup for 3 months - she's totally healed, no signs of OCD.

I swear by Vitamin C and have used it for years. An old time breeder told me about it.

There were studies done with dysplastic dogs a few years back though I can find the link it has been removed at UC Davis. They bred dysplastic dogs to each other and gave the puppies the Vitamin C in high doses. The pups from the dysplastic parents with the supplement had less dysplasia in the litters than the puppies without the Vitamin C.

Some of the new supplements for dogs have the Vitamin C added to it.

Vit C, MSM and crate rest as needed. I always feed a high protein food with a good amount of fat but very low carbs - very seldom have pano.