Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dog food

I know dog food gets discussed a lot but I am in the process of possibly switching dog foods. I was curious what most of you that have or are currently feeding Diamond Naturals and Exceed have to say about those foods? I was in my local sams club the other day and was looking at the Exceed bags and thought maybe I would try it when I get low on my current food. All responses are greatly appreciated.

Re: Dog food

Bill
I know dog food gets discussed a lot but I am in the process of possibly switching dog foods. I was curious what most of you that have or are currently feeding Diamond Naturals and Exceed have to say about those foods? I was in my local sams club the other day and was looking at the Exceed bags and thought maybe I would try it when I get low on my current food. All responses are greatly appreciated.

My dogs are thriving on Kirkland's Chicken and Rice. It is made by Diamond.

I'm also looking for new food - have been feeding ProPlan Performance and haven't seen the results I used to get. It occurred to me that I used to feed Performance and throw in a bag of regular beef, lamb, or sensitive skin (salmon) every so often. I stopped doing that when they stopped making those formulas and replaced them with "shredded" which is awful food. Maybe my problem is not varying my protein source?

I've been happy switching between the Fromm foods for variety. The Surf and Turf has a 30/20 protein fat ratio. It is more expensive to feed many dogs than the Purina though. Never been recalled so far.

I have been feeling the same way about the Performance. I had most of the dogs on a mix of PPPerf. and Evo beef when it was recalled. I like Evo and have started on the new bags now - after recall. While I was out of Evo - I mixed in Earthborn Primitive Natural and still mixing that until
Evo production is up to speed.

I like the idea of using beef for a change. I feed about 1/3 less of the Evo with better results than Pro Plan. It seems they absorb the nutrients better on Evo. Still going to use PPP for weaning and puppies until I find something appropriate.

We used to feed Exceed but after the 2nd time being unable to get the food due to a "pricing dispute" with the supplier and Sams/Walmart we changed and vowed never to plan on getting dog food at Sams again. We traded in our card and replaced it with a Costco one, a good decision on our part.

Nancy Boyle
I'm also looking for new food - have been feeding ProPlan Performance and haven't seen the results I used to get. It occurred to me that I used to feed Performance and throw in a bag of regular beef, lamb, or sensitive skin (salmon) every so often. I stopped doing that when they stopped making those formulas and replaced them with "shredded" which is awful food. Maybe my problem is not varying my protein source?

You can add Lamb Puppy formula, Turkey Selects, Duck/Rice, Chicken Grain free, They still have the salmon SSS...Have you really taken a look at what PP offers now? I am still pretty happy with them. I also buy small bags of some of the more expensive brands like pure vita or Fromm's and mix that in to my PP base. Or buy some good quality meat and cook it up with some veggies as a topper.

We do not have a Costco for hours. I have fed Exceed for years. Thought they were going out but just changed bag. So for a time I went to the Diamond Natural chicken. First two bags okay but then dogs were loosing weight, coats turned awful. And still working on getting over that. But realize Exceed was right there to pick up, went back to it. So I say EXCEED for sure. I had also tryed PP a year or so back and just did not get anything special. Costly for the results.

We have fed Diamond Naturals Chicken & Rice, as well as Extreme Athlete for many years. Happy to answer or discuss questions with anyone. Please email.