Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Food for bitch in whelp

Wondering what you all feed your bitches in whelp. My girl appears to be in whelp as she is 3 weeks post breeding and has gone off her food at the moment.. She will eat eggs though,, just not her kibble. She was on the same food ( Solid Gold) for her first litter and refused to eat it a couple of weeks before whelp so I changed her to Cal Nat Lamb/Rice which she loves. She is on Solid Gold now ,but with the recalls I am apprehensive about putting her back on the C/N. She doesn't do well with really rich recipes....Any thoughts? Of course I want to avoid any foods which have been recalled... Thanks!

Re: Food for bitch in whelp

I feed either Pro Plan Puppy chic & rice, or Pro Plan Performance (30/20).

Bitches hold weight and coat during and after whelp, while nursing, and make vey rich milk on either formulation.

Diamond Extreme Athlete , I feed this right thru nursing and until they come back into bloom.

Dev'Sun Labradors
Wondering what you all feed your bitches in whelp. My girl appears to be in whelp as she is 3 weeks post breeding and has gone off her food at the moment.. She will eat eggs though,, just not her kibble. She was on the same food ( Solid Gold) for her first litter and refused to eat it a couple of weeks before whelp so I changed her to Cal Nat Lamb/Rice which she loves. She is on Solid Gold now ,but with the recalls I am apprehensive about putting her back on the C/N. She doesn't do well with really rich recipes....Any thoughts? Of course I want to avoid any foods which have been recalled... Thanks!

Why would you want to avoid foods that have been recalled? I would think those would be the safest foods to feed.

Cindy,
Just got back from buying a new bag of California Natural. It is all new stock.
Good luck with your litter!
Mary

Thanks Mary... I also have some new product for Dude, Homer and Chip.. But am hesitant because of the smaller recall, then the huge recall... Just don't trust P & G... Wish the old Natura was still around.. Anyway I would like to see how things go for a bit to see if indeed they have the issue under control before feeding the product to a bitch in whelp...
My boys can't eat anything else.....

Good news is Becca ate her dinner with come coaxing from her mom... Lovey sat outside her crate with the door open,, very willing and able to help her.. We managed to get her to eat half which I am happy with, and so is Lovey....LOL! She got the other half... Hey she is spayed now so might as well get some benefits from her daughter's whelp.. Though I am sure they will be sharing babies...
Thanks for the suggestions everyone....
Lovey was on Pro Plan and had a ton of milk her first litter,,, She also had severe mastitis... So last litter I chose not to use it.. And she was fine. Also with the corn issues this summer, I am hesitant to use anything with corn in the product...

Try mixing in a smaller amount of a richer food. I happen to feed CANIDAE I keep the base food the same and I exchange out a portion of her feed for CANIDAE's pureSEA which helps for the need for added calories without adding to the volume consumed.

I also had a girl who turned up her nose at any rich food while in whelp. Drove me crazy! The only thing she would eat was Pinnacle Chicken and Oatmeal. She ate it all through her pregnancy, although I was able to add a little 30/20 food mixed in if I kept the addition small.

Diamond Extreme also. We love it.

Cindy, try frying and egg and than break it up in her kibble and add a bit of water. All that runnny yummy yolk should entice her to eat.

Good luck.

Hey Patty:
Thanks!!! She is eating fine now.. But has loose stool... So does her sister... No temp.... They both eat soil and grass.... We have grubs and this time of year the dogs are horrible with their eating habits... I am wondering if she got into some of that dirt or the bird poop that seems to be all over the yard from the darn birds.... Both have been on bland diet for 2 days and fine... Gave some kibble this am and yellowish stool again.. Ugh!!!!! Why the one who could be in whelp? OK I don't want my boy getting it either , but really????
I was going to try beneficial nematodes this year and never got around to it. Plus I don't want my IBD dog eating anything but his kibble...
Praying this runs it's course and is gone fast!

Try adding pure packed pumpkin every day with each meal. Helped my girl after whelp when she had nasty poo. It was springtime and all that yucky stuff coming out of the soil and eating placentas, puppy poo...you get my drift. Anyway, the pumpkin was amazing!

Thanks El...
I gave them all acidophilus last year and that seemed to help... I just started them all on it again... and looking into Milky Spore for help getting rid of the grubs... I swear that is why they eat the soil.. It's always the clumps... Ugh!

I have grubs too. Not sure it is a bad problem, but there are some and they dig holes. Looks like a minefield. Good luck and I'd love to hear about the Milky Spore. Never heard of it. We hate to use any lawn chemicals.