Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ex pen recommendations

Precise, Midwest, Four Paws, ProSelect, Majestic, GoPet, etc. etc. etc.

The list goes on and on. Which brand of ex pen do you like? I'm looking for something to use outside for a large litter. I will have to attach a few of them together to make a bigger area unless there is another option. Thoughts? Recommendations? Who has the best prices? TIA

Re: Ex pen recommendations

I don't think it matters. All those brands are basically the same. I like the ones that are 3ft high for puppies. I also like them with a "door" or "gate" in them. I prefer the kind that don't have end links to hook together to make a huge playpen (I think Digi pet was like that).

If you have the money, I don't know the name, but there is a heavy duty paneled one. You can get 2 and make a nice big area and the pen is so strong I don't think pups can knock it over. About a $130-150 a set though, 4 panels I think, one has a door. Someone else will surely know the brand.

The heavy duty one would be the Precision Courtyard. I haven't used it but have admired it. When it first came out, I looked at it at a show. The only negative, other than the positive/negative of its weight and sturdiness, was the latch. I couldn't figure out how to add a snap to it to foil a dog I had then who could open latches.

I also like the Midwest ones that have doors that a human can walk through, as there is no top rail on the opening for the door. One can also just open up snaps on the Precision ones and old style Midwest. These are all much lighter weight than the Courtyard.

Charlotte K.
The only negative, other than the positive/negative of its weight and sturdiness, was the latch. I couldn't figure out how to add a snap to it to foil a dog I had then who could open latches.

I use a carbiner on mine, not a snap hook. Works like a charm.

I absolutely love my Courtyard Kennels. I use them as puppy pens and also for camping when at summer shows; put a sunscreen over them under a pop-up, and you've got a secure 'run' for the dogs!