Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy coats

I have a baby puppy that has waves on his head and ears but not the rest of his body. Another puppy has a pretty harsh coat for a yellow baby. Comments?

Re: Puppy coats

I have a baby puppy that has waves on his head and ears but not the rest of his body. Another puppy has a pretty harsh coat for a yellow baby. Comments?

How old is the puppy? I've seen it in blacks occur about 6-8 weeks. They grow up to have beautiful coats.

If the puppy is really young, like say 3-4 weeks and the waves continue, it may be an indicator that it will be a fluffy or long-coated yellow.

Don't think you can really tell coats until the puppy has lost it's puppy coat. I've seen fuzzy turn into very correct and very wavy but short also turn into a great adult coat.

I had a yellow puppy that we called "big red" - he had the red collar and the longest coat I had ever seen on a yellow puppy. He was my pick from day one so naturally I just knew he would end up being a long-coat. But nope he grew up and had the most beautiful coat. Won his class at the Potomac, as did his mother and went on to get his GCH.

I know why you are concerned - I was too. Remember he's just a baby and he'll do a lot of changing before he's mature.

Good Luck,
Valerie Jones