Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What to give for monthly preventative for bitch in whelp?

My vet tells me that Sentinel is ok to give my pregnant girl...what do you all give your pregnant girls for their monthly preventative?

Re: What to give for monthly preventative for bitch in whelp?

Sentinal or Revolution. No other has been tested.

Right now I'm using Revolution because Sentinal was off the market.

Sue Puff

Thanks!
I just got the Sentinel last week, why was it off the market and when?

Sentinel was off the market for at least a year (maybe two) due to problems in the "human" side of the plant. I can tell you as a veterinarian that the biggest problem in practicing right now is availability of drugs. In the past couple of years we have run up against shortages/unavailability of Sentinel, Interceptor, epinephrine, doxycycline, immiticide, etc., etc. I've practiced for 25 years, and until recently, had never seen so many problems getting the drugs needed to take care of your animals!

Lots of reasons for these backorders. FDA is really cracking down on inspections. It is actually getting harder to source some of the active main ingredients for some of the common products. I work in animal Pharma and have been lucky that we have only been marginally affected. But the two main reasons are above. It's been an interesting 2 years to say the least....

Sue Puff

A repro vet advised me to put my girl on Frontline. Anyone have problems with that?

We use Iverhart Plus when giving heartworm preventative to a pregnant girl. It is Ivermectin and Pyrantel.

I only give Ivomec. The dosage was figured out by my vet so it equals Heartgard.

Frontline is safe for pregnant bitches. It doesn't cover heartworms though.

Frustrating, isn't it?

Thanks Sue. We use Heartguard in addition to Frontline.

Sentinel is ok, correct?
Thank you for all of your responses!!

Yes. When in doubt, call the company and have the label emailed to you. What is on the label is what USDA has given them approval to put there. Also, Google the Compendium of Veterinarian Medicine. It lists all the current labels. Bayer has an iPhone and iPad app. I use it regularly for my job.

And Doc, it IS very frustrating. Not only for my day to day job, but in making decisions for my personal dogs.

Sue Puff