Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Question on Whelping Boxes?

Hi,

It is once again time to build new whelping boxes. I am trying to figure out a creative idea that would allow for easier cleaning. A handyman I use has suggested using epoxy resin to coat the wood of the box. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? I am worried it is not safe if puppies or mother would to chew on the box. Also, are there paints, varnish, or any other finish that people use to seal the wood that they can reccomend and is safe?
What woods have people used that are functional and have lasted? Any, and all suggestions and comments are more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

TIA

Re: Question on Whelping Boxes?

My husband built our newest one about 12 years ago using melamine board, and we've never looked back! Top edges (raw ends) are covered with rubber edging and the whole thing, along with PVC pig rails, is totally washable/disinfectable. Totally safe for momma and babies. Goes together with screws for easy assembly/disassembly and storage.

Wag the Dog (1)
My husband built our newest one about 12 years ago using melamine board, and we've never looked back! Top edges (raw ends) are covered with rubber edging and the whole thing, along with PVC pig rails, is totally washable/disinfectable. Totally safe for momma and babies. Goes together with screws for easy assembly/disassembly and storage.
It sounds super nice! Thats a good husband, mine is very handy and involved also.

I love the homemade PVC rails but have been thinking of purchasing the Jonart box and potty-play area which would cost me well over $1000, youch! I would rather spend the $ on entry fees and travel. Also, I might have 2 litters closer in time then usual. I usually go at least 6 - 12 months apart with my litters. I normally use the durawhelp but it's time for a change. I got my 8 uses out of it and puppy teeth got the best of it and would rather have something more durable as easy as they are to move around.

What size did your husband make yours, is there a play-potty area and does he have plans he would be willing to share or sell reasonably? I'm not the OP, I apologize for interrupting their questions. TIA for a possible reply.

Thank you for your response. I will look into it. Anyone else with any ideas or thoughts to share?

BreedeR x 3
It sounds super nice! Thats a good husband, mine is very handy and involved also.

I love the homemade PVC rails but have been thinking of purchasing the Jonart box and potty-play area which would cost me well over $1000, youch! I would rather spend the $ on entry fees and travel. Also, I might have 2 litters closer in time then usual. I usually go at least 6 - 12 months apart with my litters. I normally use the durawhelp but it's time for a change. I got my 8 uses out of it and puppy teeth got the best of it and would rather have something more durable as easy as they are to move around.

What size did your husband make yours, is there a play-potty area and does he have plans he would be willing to share or sell reasonably? I'm not the OP, I apologize for interrupting their questions. TIA for a possible reply.

Yup, my hubby's a good guy. Ours is a 4X4 foot; I set it in a pen and when the pups start climbing out/hit about 3.5 weeks, I just remove the whelping box and enlarge the pen area.

No plans, he's a carpenter so he just does things. 3 sides are 12 inches high; the 4th side is 6 inches, with a second 6 inch board we can add, but never have.(This short side is the side the Momma dog steps into the box over.)

He countersunk the screw holes so there is nothing sticking out; it is screwed together on the outside. He cut a groove down the raw edge on the top of the board and glued in T-molding edging - this stuff - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1181&filter=molding so there is no raw wood exposed to get wet, or harbor moisture or germs. The whole thing is wipeable, and when we disassemble it, I stand the pieces in the tub and bleach it all. PVC rails get taken apart and soaked in bleach solution as well in the tub; it's stored until the next time we need it.

Hope this helps you out!

My box is wood with about 10 coats of paint on it and I've been looking into building a new one too. My (architect) brother suggested using Azek board. Believe it is a solid PVC product. My box is 4'x6' with the ability to drop in a board to make it 4x4 while the pig rail is in it. One of the 4' sides has a hinged drop down so the mama can get in. The corners have two 4" hinges on the outside so when I take it down, I just have to pop the hinge pins, take it apart, and everything stores flat. I have pictures of it and its components if you would like me to share them with you. Just put a note in the subject line so I can grab it out of my spam filter!

I built something quite similar to yours, but I used carriage bolts instead of screws. They pull down tight to the wood and don't leave a sharp edge.

Before you spend that kind of money on a Jonart, consider checking out "little heartbeats whelping boxes". They're made by a collie breeder in Georgia and are finished very nicely. You can find them if you google little heartbeats whelping boxes. I just bought one for about 1/3 the price you mention for a Jonart.

The Little Heartbeats box has a number of options. They can be ordered with the 2ft extention and/or a floor. I opted to set mine on a sheet of linoleum and it's working out wonderfully. It's all melemine so it wipes down easily and goes together quickly. The side rails can be ordered in different heights, I have 4" and a 6" in case I want to add a foam pad for swimmers. I added handles on 2 opposite sides to help lift it up and tuck bedding under the edges.

I used a 4x4 gray whelping fleece over a 4x4 "poochpad" from Revival until it was time to add the 2ft extension with potty box. I have 2 sets of the poochpad and fleece. One in the one in the box and one in the wash and they dry quickly. It's been a great set up. WEll worth the investment

Breeder 19
Thank you for your response. I will look into it. Anyone else with any ideas or thoughts to share?

Jon-Art

Saw these at Potomac and really liked them. No screws, all fit together, easy to clean. Pricey...but I think it's on my list for when my Durawhelp gives out. I really liked it. 4 pieces plus the door and pig rails. Probably still as heavy as a wood box. If I wait for my husband to make mine....I'd be waiting forever. His project list is too long!

http://www.lakesideproducts.com/Whelping-Box-MagnaBox/Whelping-Box-MagnaBox-X-Large-p41.html

Sue Puff

Wag the Dog (1)
BreedeR x 3

Yup, my hubby's a good guy. Ours is a 4X4 foot; I set it in a pen and when the pups start climbing out/hit about 3.5 weeks, I just remove the whelping box and enlarge the pen area.

No plans, he's a carpenter so he just does things. 3 sides are 12 inches high; the 4th side is 6 inches, with a second 6 inch board we can add, but never have.(This short side is the side the Momma dog steps into the box over.)

He countersunk the screw holes so there is nothing sticking out; it is screwed together on the outside. He cut a groove down the raw edge on the top of the board and glued in T-molding edging - this stuff - http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1181&filter=molding so there is no raw wood exposed to get wet, or harbor moisture or germs. The whole thing is wipeable, and when we disassemble it, I stand the pieces in the tub and bleach it all. PVC rails get taken apart and soaked in bleach solution as well in the tub; it's stored until the next time we need it.

Hope this helps you out!
Yes and thank you!

I made this one with a few modifications of my own: http://www.mcemn.com/WB-WhelpingBox.html

Seriously???

I have 2 Jonart boxes for our girls. These bitches get bred, carry a litter, and take care of these pups for up to 6 or 7 weeks for us. And you think they don’t deserve a $1,000 + whelping box when you are selling “their” puppies for $1,200 to $2,000 each???? I challenge anyone not to look at it from their perspective. These girls deserve a top of the line whelping box. At the cost of 1 puppy, every brood bitch should have a Jonart box.

We have had our Jonart boxes for over 10 years. They are well worth the money for “our” girls.

All you human mothers out there… Should you have raised your children in a barn with no doors?

Sticking up for the girls…. Just Sayin!

Michael

With all due respect...do you own stock in Jonart? Spending more does not necessarily translate into better and I think that my VET will certainly vouch for the fact that when it comes to my dogs, I don't skimp on their well being.

I found the little heartbeats box set up met all of the requirements of a good whelping box. Most importantly it's made out a material that sanitizes easily, has enough space for mom and high enough sides to keep my current 7 week old litter still in it, provides a safe spot for pups to get under a rail, has an door that's easy for Mom to get in and out of yet closes when pups get big enough to climb out. And it will store easily in between the single litter I may or may not have in a given year.

When I looked at various whelping box options I didn't see anything that your 1,000 Jonart offers that this doesn't but I know mine sure beats a swimming pool or a corregated durawhelp!

rld -

If you would like to identify yourself I will be more than happy to offer the benefits of the Jonart Box.

However, I was referring to those who cannot justify the $$$. I never said spending more was better.

Signed with my real name - Michael

Michael Silva
Seriously???

I have 2 Jonart boxes for our girls. These bitches get bred, carry a litter, and take care of these pups for up to 6 or 7 weeks for us. And you think they don’t deserve a $1,000 + whelping box when you are selling “their” puppies for $1,200 to $2,000 each???? I challenge anyone not to look at it from their perspective. These girls deserve a top of the line whelping box. At the cost of 1 puppy, every brood bitch should have a Jonart box.

We have had our Jonart boxes for over 10 years. They are well worth the money for “our” girls.

All you human mothers out there… Should you have raised your children in a barn with no doors?

Sticking up for the girls…. Just Sayin!

Michael

I think you are justifying the price for yourself and it makes you feel better. These are dogs not humans. Most dogs I know of could care less about who you breed them to. They would go find any dog to breed with when they are ready. Most would go dig under a porch to have their puppies and by 6 weeks and with very sharp teeth, most moms are done with their pups. They do not know you are selling them off or for how much, but hey if it makes you feel better use a Jonart....just sayin'....

4 x 8 corrugated plastic sheets - 6 to 8 mm

they make the best 4 x 4 box with 2 foot sides.
come in many colors, light weight entire box can be picked up with one hand.
constructed with a box blade and duct tape ( you can color coordinate if you want)

easy to clean, easy to dismantle flat for storage and when needed buy more sheets.

total cost of each box.....$50!! My girls don't seem to mind that I am not spending $1000 on frame.