Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shipping Frozen Semen

I'm having difficulty coming up with a ballpark estimate for shipping frozen semen, I mean the actual shipping charges. I'm trying to estimate everything to determine if doing frozen is even feasible or if I need to pick a different dog. While I can get estimates for the various tests and procedures from the vet, I'm still in the dark on shipping charges.

Those of you that have shipped frozen, how much was it? In what year was the shipping done, which carrier, and where to/from?

Re: Shipping Frozen Semen

Depends on the level of service (FedEx priority overnight, 2-day or Home Delivery), distance (fuel charges), whether its going to a home or business and if a Saturday is involved. Also if your vet books it online with FedEx, you can save another 10-15%. Sometimes the vet clinics actually get a better price if you use their account since they ship so often. The shipping vet can give you measurements of the tank and approximate weight. The tanks usually hold charge for up to 21 days. If your vet can store it locally you can ship 'slow boat' ahead of time but there is usually a weekly tank rental fee as well.

Remember, you'll be responsible for shipping the empty tank back (ICSB will send a return label usually). And remember there will be a fee from the vet clinic for preparing the shipment and AKC paperwork as well. If you know where the semen is stored, most clinics have websites and have all that information posted publically.

Good luck!

Thank you. I know where it is stored, and I know what the fee to prepare it is, just don't know what the range of shipping prices is. 50, 100, 500??? That's why I was asking for some examples.

Why don't you call the storage facility and ask them?

From Ohio to Alabama two years ago was $200-$300. From vet to vet.

Thanks, that is the kind of info I was looking for.

I always told people that for the storage facility fees, shipping fee (tank has to go and be returned) and insemination that they could tie up $1000 on top of stud fees. It usually covered that and sometimes the progesterone series too.

Just shipped OH to GA, $227- just came through from FedEx. About $1000 total with surgical AI and several progesterone tests.

So is that about ? $1,000 on top of the $1,200 stud fee. And what else if anyone has just done this. Just examples. I had wondered also.

Yes that's in addition to the stud fee. I handle all those costs; contact the semen storage facility and give them my credit card number to pay their fees and shipping fees. The only thing the stud owner does is sign a release at the storage facility after receiving stud fee or service fee from me. Of course I cover the AI procedure and progesterone tests too. So about $2000 invested in the breeding and you hope it takes, or it's $2000 down the toilet. And invest in surgical AI for frozen semen- better success rate because of the quality and life span of frozen semen.