Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Boney Growth

Has anyone had this in one of their puppies, this is what the vet has stated, the puppy is lame of course is nine months old and is just started limping would love some input. Thanks

" both her left shoulder and elbow are sound: however her lower left leg is showing a growth difference to that of her right leg: particularly in the ‘wrist’ area. The x-rays suggest she has an abnormal bony growth where her foot joins to her lower leg. As well there appears to be a deformity in the lower growth plate with one side of the growth plate larger than the other side "

Re: Boney Growth

It sounds like an injury occurred at some point.

guessing
It sounds like an injury occurred at some point.

That's what I was thinking, however the owner tells me no injury has occurred and I have to believe him. It is just not something I have ever heard of before.

Have you discussed HOD with your vet?

Jim & Elizabeth Bowron
Have you discussed HOD with your vet?

No I haven't but will be now after reading about it, it certainly sounds it is a possibility.

Ask how the pup gets in and out of cars/trucks. If you damage that growth plate, it will stop growing on one side. eventually you will see twisting at the pastern toward that side as the other side keeps growing. Jumping out of cars will do it.

I agree with this. If a puppy is allowed to traumatize a joint (usually elbow or carpus--wrist from jumping out of a vehicle) the growth plate will be permanently altered. Since the puppy did not live with you, and most inexperienced people don't realize the damage they can do with allowing their puppies to jump off of/out of things, that is the most likely cause.