Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Web design software for a mac?

I've done some basic sites, but am getting frustrated. my eye is good, but my skills are limited. I'd like to make nicer websites, but need to keep it simple and have a mac. any suggestions? someone just recommended Sandvox, but it doesn't look too exciting. I need a basic template, but would want to use my own photos, colors. any suggestions?

Thanks.

Re: Web design software for a mac?

Look into CoffeeCup. I bought it for my PC...still haven't had enough time to play too much with it but worth a try for the $

I LOVE Coffeecup!! BUT, they don't have a MAC version yet. They offer another MAC editing program called "Orangina." I've not tried it. I just adjust my iWeb templates to what I want. There are a few MAC htm editors; Dreamweaver, iWeb, Sandvox, etc. The one othe than iWeb that I use is Taco. Free and easy to use.

I am using Freeway Pro (also have an Express version) because it allows one to design from scratch or use a template. It takes a while to get the hang of it but there are tons of online tutorials.

Dreamweaver, or for the really challenged, MUSE. It's great. Otherwise, if you want to get more techie...and want to have responsive websites (available and viewable on all formats), then use tumblr.

I recently bought a Mac because I saw a website that was so easy to load and looked good that was made on a Mac. You can call Apple or Mac or click on the link on your computer to the store to find the program. If you see an Apple at the bottom of a website you like you can click on that also.
It's very easy to change pictures and text and add videos and is clean.

Oh my gosh I could have written the original post! Same situation. I have been using iWeb every since I got my Mac and I love it but I am finding that Apple really doesn't support it anymore and I don't know that you can even get it now. That concerned me because if anything ever goes wrong with the program then I am going to be frantic to find a new one to rebuild the site. I built my original website with Dream weaver and I like it a lot at the time but not as much as iWeb. So for the last month I have been looking at all sorts of different site building programs. I thought I had found THE ONE when I stumbled on Sandvox but you can only do templates and each page can only be 'a page' not one you can scroll down like we have on our site. I do not want that. Just sat and watch a video on Wordpress and how easy it is- was not nearly as user friendly as iWEb. Looked at Dreamweaver again. Just way too much work. With iWEb it is all right there at my fingertips. Idon't even have to think 'HTML' . I don't have to go up to 'Edit' and then to the place I want to Edit, I just edit the page I am on, whatever it is.
Oh Apple please bring back iWEb. I actually sent them an email today saying just that!