Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Optigen

Wondering where is the best to get optigen test done? Links?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Optigen

There is only one place to get an optigen test done -- Optigen. www.optigen.com. They developed the test and hold the patent.

They are running their "Spring Discount" now through June 9th. If you order the test and pay for it, you get a 25% discount. You'll need to send the blood in within 30 days of ordering.

And in just 3 years the patent expires with Optigen and I will go to any other company that offers the test. Optigen has taken advantage of the situation and has charged extremely high prices. We will remember the price gouging when the test becomes public and anyone can offer the pra test. Its just silly that the government allows patents on blood tests.

Breeder
And in just 3 years the patent expires with Optigen and I will go to any other company that offers the test. Optigen has taken advantage of the situation and has charged extremely high prices. We will remember the price gouging when the test becomes public and anyone can offer the pra test. Its just silly that the government allows patents on blood tests.

Did it ever dawn on you that these companies have patents because they want to see at least some return on their investment? Do you think the researchers and scientists that were used to develop the test just donated their time? I don't understand this line of thinking. Optigen has invested millions of dollars into developing and perfecting the test for us. If you use the clinics, the price of the test is less than an echocardiogram to test for TVD.

Do you remember Ingen? Didn't they offer the PRA test offshore to try to circumvent the US patent? Please tell me how accurate that test was shown to be? Did Optigen sue them and get them to stop using their research? You betcha!

I agree. If these companies can't recoop the cost of developing these tests, they won't develop them. I'll continue to use Optigen because I appreciate the time and money they spent developing the test. I had some carriers in my lines and without this test, I would have had to throw them out and start over.

I'm sticking with Optigen. Too many horror stories about the other company that tried to circumvent the process. I agree that the scientists, researchers, and others involved in creating this terrific tool have the right to recap their expenses.

Breeder

Many may not have been around but the Labrador community raised a lot for Optigen to develop this test. I think the philosophy of the LLC may be one of the reasons one founding researcher left early after the test was perfected. This has been/is nothing more than a monopolistic price gouging. It has been shameful.

The labrador community raised a pittance compared to what it cost to develop this test. I was around and our club donated a few hundred dollars. Are you so naive to think that finding a gene only costs a few thousand dollars???? What the test cost is in line with the cost of OFA's, heart color dopplar, etc. And, OFA's and heart clearances just tell you the dog is clear, it doesn't tell you what they will produce.

Breeder

And I won't be using your stud dogs, not with the inaccuracies with the copy cat company.

Before "the test", there were other research laboratories working hard to find the answer to the PRA question. When Optigen announced they found the answer and a test was available, those other research labs dropped out of the race. The Optigen test then cost about $300. Lab owners in droves sent blood to Optigen for the new test. Those test fees had to raise many hundreds of thousand of dollars. Perhaps even more.

In a while, lab breeders began to question the results. According to the original test the "A" dogs were affected and comprised 25% of the lab population. But many dogs that came back affected were not going blind. Nonetheless, breeders were dumping dogs that were "A's" and some even dumped "B's".

Then Optigen announced that the original test produced incorrect results, but now they had a new test that was accurate. Now just how do you think Optigen got the money, and more importantly the blood, they needed to find the answer? The competing research labs had dropped out of the race and Optigen had all the money & blood they needed to solve the PRA question.

So yes, the lab community contributed to Optigen, and not just a pittance. The lab community contributed an enormous amount.

another oldie
Before "the test", there were other research laboratories working hard to find the answer to the PRA question. When Optigen announced they found the answer and a test was available, those other research labs dropped out of the race. The Optigen test then cost about $300. Lab owners in droves sent blood to Optigen for the new test. Those test fees had to raise many hundreds of thousand of dollars. Perhaps even more.

In a while, lab breeders began to question the results. According to the original test the "A" dogs were affected and comprised 25% of the lab population. But many dogs that came back affected were not going blind. Nonetheless, breeders were dumping dogs that were "A's" and some even dumped "B's".

Then Optigen announced that the original test produced incorrect results, but now they had a new test that was accurate. Now just how do you think Optigen got the money, and more importantly the blood, they needed to find the answer? The competing research labs had dropped out of the race and Optigen had all the money & blood they needed to solve the PRA question.

So yes, the lab community contributed to Optigen, and not just a pittance. The lab community contributed an enormous amount.
since I was one of the first to submit samples and get results, I can tell you that your explanation of rating is incorrect.

Originally this was Optigen's rating system:

A dogs were clear.
B dogs were carriers
C dogs were affected.

You are correct that some of the identified affected dogs were not going blind and so further research was done. Optigen retested all the B and C dogs, ( at no additional cost) then reissued new ratings.

"A" dogs would always be clear.
Many "B" dogs were now identified as"A" (clear) and many "C" dogs were newly identified as being "B "(carriers).
"C" dogs remained identified as being "affected"

Subsequently, Optigen's further refined their test and re-examined ( at no additional cost) their samples which resulted in many "B" dogs now being identified as "A", and some "C"dogs now identified as "B".

I know his because under the original test I had an "A", a "B", and a "C" dog. I never asked for the samples to be retested, Optigen's did that on their own for all samples which had been submitted and identified as anything other than "A".

After the the retest, my "B" dog was now identified as an "A" and my "C" dog was now listed as a "B". Apparently, there was some shred, junk, material attached to some of the genetic samples, especially on the yellows, which made it impossible to absolutely identify a dog as an "A". The second test helped a lot.

The third test (again at no further cost) was the clincher and they found that the "shred" was harmless. My dog which was originally identified as a "C" came back as totally clear, an "A"

So yes, a lot of money went into Optigen's testing process. I have no problem continuing to support Optigen.

Thank you!

I knew there were different companies. It has been years since I had test done.

So, the bood does not have to stay cold?

I like that they can do affected dogs for free. I must call them though because I wonder if they make public the affected dog's name. I don't mind but his breeder does as she has stud dogs. I know she tests also.

Yes! I got the letters ass backwards! Please reread my post and substitute "C" for "A". The gist of the post still is correct.

I do not think the price is unreasonable, it is cheaper than having an echo done or what my vet charges for OFA xrays. Would it be nice if it was cheaper, sure! Along with everything else. But I do not think it is unaffordable, breeding is an expensive hobby. And they do offer discount days 4 times per year, I usually wait for that to send in my samples. They do not have to offer that. At least they kept researching until the test was perfected, unlike another organization with a patent for a test for another problem whose test is obviously flawed. Oh, but wait, at least that "other" test is cheap!

Optigen has more than made back their money. Do you realize that other people did the research and then gave their findings to Optigen who then turned around and applied for a patent. Now that the money is made back, its time to give reasonable pricing on the test. About $40 for a test sounds fair to me. Otherwise, when the test becomes public, we will remember the unethical pricing.

I have to agree it seems to me Optigen has made their money back. I know I've tested quite a few dogs over the years and know I've contributed my fair share. I'd like to see them priced similar to the EIC test which is $65.
I see many people breeding to "normal" dogs only to avoid spending extra money testing their bitches. Wouldn't it be nice if the test was priced reasonably then I think we would see more tested bitches breeding to the best dog for that bitch..
Just a thought :)

Breeder
Optigen has more than made back their money. Do you realize that other people did the research and then gave their findings to Optigen who then turned around and applied for a patent. Now that the money is made back, its time to give reasonable pricing on the test. About $40 for a test sounds fair to me. Otherwise, when the test becomes public, we will remember the unethical pricing.

"Gave" their research to Optigen? I am sure they "Sold" their research to Optigen for a very handsome sum. If you read the Optigen site, they say that the test prices vary because of the price it took to develop the tests.

This is the US, if companies are to stay in business, they need to make money. They not only have employees to pay and other overhead expenses, but many companies have stockholders and financiers they have to pay back.

The price of the test has come down tremendously. I don't find the clinic price all that out of line. OFAs and echoes are all about the same. With this test, at least you know that it is now reliable and that you never have to produce a blind dog ever again. This is priceless!

[

"Gave" their research to Optigen? I am sure they "Sold" their research to Optigen for a very handsome sum. If you read the Optigen site, they say that the test prices vary because of the price it took to develop the tests.

This is the US, if companies are to stay in business, they need to make money. They not only have employees to pay and other overhead expenses, but many companies have stockholders and financiers they have to pay back.

The price of the test has come down tremendously. I don't find the clinic price all that out of line. OFAs and echoes are all about the same. With this test, at least you know that it is now reliable and that you never have to produce a blind dog ever again. This is priceless![/quote]

Thank you. I agree completely. Do any of you remember when Optigen came out with their first test, they said it was a "marker" test, not the actual gene test. The was a great step forward and they eventually identified the actual gene. At first I too, had some "C" and some "B" dogs that were upgraded at no cost as the test was improved. We all used to do "pedigree analysis" to try to figure out who might be a carrier. Funny thing was, the bitch I had who should have been a carrier, eventually tested as clear and the bitch who should have been clear, turned out to be a carrier. When I Optigen test, I consider it money well spent.

"I'd like to see them priced similar to the EIC test which is $65.
I see many people breeding to "normal" dogs only to avoid spending extra money testing their bitches. Wouldn't it be nice if the test was priced reasonably then I think we would see more tested bitches breeding to the best dog for that bitch..
Just a thought :)"

Julie, you must be dreaming. . .
People are choosing not to test their bitches for EIC even at $65.00
They are choosing not to breed their bitches to the best dog for their bitch
if that dog is a PRA carrier or an EIC carrier.

I agree with the breeder who said some just breed to clear dogs. To cheap to test the girls even the $65. for EIC. They are just breeding for the money, not to have the best match for their female. Optigen is worth every penny. After buying and living with a PRA "blind" dog for years it is the best tool that ever came along. Test your females, then breed to the best dog for her anydog if she is clear. Testing is all part of breeding the responsible way. The discount days are good. We use to pay the high price and were still thankful to have it.

Breeder
"I'd like to see them priced similar to the EIC test which is $65.
Just a thought :)"

Julie, you must be dreaming. . .
People are choosing not to test their bitches for EIC even at $65.00
They are choosing not to breed their bitches to the best dog for their bitch
if that dog is a PRA carrier or an EIC carrier.

Yes Breeder I am Dreaming. LOL. That's why I used words as "I'd like to see", "Wouldn't it been nice" and "I think". I've been in the breed long enough to know it is all about personal ethics. I try to do what best for me, My Dogs, and My puppy families. In the end, that is the only thing I can control.

I have a personal pet peve about well used stud dogs being advertised Clear By Parentage. But again that's just me.