Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Length of body

I have a young male that has been growing slowly. At first he started to get high in the rear, his topline got bad (still is bad as he still is high in the rear). Then he started to grow length of body and I was just wondering if that will change?

Re: Length of body

Be patient with him. He going through the uglies. Pretend, if his front legs were longer and his topline level would he be in good proportions to you?

Some times during the uglies we just have to ignore their appearance. Take him to some good socialization places. To the general public He'll be a Rock Star.

Enjoy and Love him.

Thanks! Yeah I guess he would look much nicer if his topline would be better and if his front legs were longer! LOL
He's only 8 months.

Boys, they change alot. Don't even look until about 14 mos old. That is the start of the return of the 8 week old you loved. 8 mos. is a ugly time like they said.

I have a 7 months old boy in the same situation. His front legs are too short and he is about 2 inches taller in the rear than in the front. Anything else is in place. He was gorgeous at 8 weeks so I'm hoping that he'll come together in the next few months. It is hard to wait.

At about 7 months old the body grows long and then it stops growing and the legs catch up to the body. If he was short in body at 8 weeks most likely he will go back to being short in body after he grows more. However some can be slightly longer it is not exact. Breed standard states can be slightly longer.

Thanks, that's exactly how he's been growing! At 7 mos he started to grow more length of body... Yeah it's scary to watch! LOL 😐. Now his front needs to catch up with his rear!

Breeder
I have a 7 months old boy in the same situation. His front legs are too short and he is about 2 inches taller in the rear than in the front. Anything else is in place. He was gorgeous at 8 weeks so I'm hoping that he'll come together in the next few months. It is hard to wait.

How is his topline??

Thank you for this post. Wish we could use pictures!

I have one and have been looking at the parents pictures and at him and wondering what the heck happened! I was going to rename him stubby.

Anon
Breeder

How is his topline??

The rear is 2 inches taller than the front. Top line starts deep at the withers and goes up to the rump. Not a nice view.

At what age do males "normally" start to come back together that is the ones who really go ugly? Some males just never go through the uglies! lol

Anon
At what age do males "normally" start to come back together that is the ones who really go ugly? Some males just never go through the uglies! lol

....and some never come back. It's really a waiting game of up to a 2 years.

Uff... LOL
I know it's a waiting game as it is with everything regarding breeding and dogs 😇

Length of body ....measured from withers to point of rump? Or from forechest area to point of rump. Supposedly from "point of shoulder" to point of rump....is that the top of shoulder (withers) or where shoulder blade meets upper arm?

I would say, length of body is from withers to point of rump.

Length of body is measured from the point of shoulder (where the upper arm meets the lower part of the shoulder blade) to the point of rump.

Oh no
Length of body is measured from the point of shoulder (where the upper arm meets the lower part of the shoulder blade) to the point of rump.

"Proportion--Short-coupled; length from the point of the shoulder to the point of the rump is equal to or slightly longer than the distance from the withers to the ground. Distance from the elbow to the ground should be equal to one half of the height at the withers. The brisket should extend to the elbows, but not perceptibly deeper. The body must be of sufficient length to permit a straight, free and efficient stride; but the dog should never appear low and long or tall and leggy in outline. Substance--Substance and bone proportionate to the overall dog. Light, "weedy" individuals are definitely incorrect; equally objectionable are cloddy lumbering specimens. Labrador Retrievers shall be shown in working condition well-muscled and without excess fat."