Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Public Perception

I understand that most on this forum do not operate as a business with profits and that most, like me, are lucky to break even after considering all breeding related costs and the expenses associated with owning multiple dogs. However, the numerous BYB in my area do not believe this.

How many of you bother trying to educate any BYB who contacts you? More and more often lately, I receive calls from individuals wondering about using one of my boys as a mate for their dog. They are the typical BYB or someone wanting to have a litter just once who knows nothing about breeding, no titles, no clearances, and in some cases, not even registrations.

They say that they wonder if they could get "a deal" because they are not "professional breeders" like me making lots of money! They are not meaning to offend, just ignorant. I explain that I am a hobby breeder, do not breed for money, and am lucky to break even. I can hear the disbelief in their voices and I sometimes try and educate but lately I have pretty much given up and simply list the requirements (clearances, titles, etc.) and end the conversation. I wonder though if I should be trying to educate all who are so uneducated in a effort to help decrease BYB or if it is really a waste of time??? How would you address such a statement?

Re: Public Perception

I just tell them "Send me copies of her hip, elbow, CERF, and PRA clearances along with her pedigree and we will go from there." Haven't had one write back yet.

1. If you love the breed, you will do as much as you can to educate the caller.
2. The caller will find a stud dog anyway who maybe is not as lovely as yours. That doesn't help the breed.
3. The caller actually might raise his dogs in a more loving way than many hobby/show breeders.
4. If, like Nancy said, the caller will not present clearances, etc., after you explain how important they are, then you explain why you can't do the breeding this time. . . but if they get clearances AND the bitch has a nice temperament, you will consider the breeding for the next heat.
5. Hey, if the bitch owner lives near you, I would even offer to go see the bitch. If she is acceptable, you will feel better about a future breeding.

Always worth the effort to educate. I am a semi-well known breeder. I show and breed some nice dogs and have been very active in labs the last 20 years. I believe all who know me would consider me to be a responsible breeder. But you know how I started out? Buying my first bitch, who was very sweet, but not show or breeding quality and then calling a breeder with those very same questions (except the money part, I would never be that forward) wanting to use their stud dog and that is where my education began. She started me down the right path talking to me about clearances, etc. Responsible breeders have to educate the newbies. Most of them just don't know any better, but are more than willing to do things the right way if someone informs them. If we do not educate them, who will? Wouldn't you prefer to educate them rather than have a BYB or puppy mill person educate them? Everyone has to start somewhere. It is our responsibility as guardians of the breed to start them on the right path as someone did for me all those years ago.

The very best response I've found to a BYB is or someone wanting their kids to see the miracle is that we test for PRA/PRCD, Cerf and EIC, CNM,DM and do OFAs after two at a minimum.

"The bad genes are in the Labradors and have to be bred out and tested. Each parent provides one copy from each parent to the puppy"

How would they feel having puppies out there that are flopping around and blind and maybe crippled? Better yet send them some Video links of blind labs or affected ones.

We never hear back.

Nancy Boyle
I just tell them "Send me copies of her hip, elbow, CERF, and PRA clearances along with her pedigree and we will go from there." Haven't had one write back yet.

Same here. Most would come with the typical I just want one litter. I tell them that they are still in time to do the tests if they want to breed to any of my boys. In all these years only one lady came back with the tests done and x-rays taken waiting on OFA. The hips and elbows were very good and I did the breeding under the condition that I would sign the papers after seen the OFA results. All went well. The puppies are service dogs for the diabetics. The lady knew what she wanted, but didn't know the rules. A little education made it all possible.

I tell them the same think that Nancy does, but then I add how important it is not only to the breed, but to them as breeders.

You have no chance in courts especially if your state has lemon laws if something is wrong with the puppy. But you have a better chance if both parents have all of their clearences and you have a good sales agreement.