Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Nursing Bitch - Can she swim in the pool?

Hi all, I'm going to ask my vet too, but wondering what you all think. My bitch delivered May 25. She LOVES to swim in the pool, which is clorinated and clean. Is it safe? For her and for pups? Even towel drying her, I won't have her completely dry when she climbs back in the whelping box.

Just curious for folks thoughts. Thanks.

Re: Nursing Bitch - Can she swim in the pool?

Personally, as long as she is nursing, I wouldn't let her swim. She's pretty open in the vaginal area still and think you might be inviting some type of infection.

Would you go in the pool if we were talking about you instead of your bitch? I know I personally would be in the pool. You can always hose her off if you are concerned about the chlorine.

I have always allowed my girls to swim (if they want) while nursing pups. Most of my girls love it and it keeps them clean and cooled off. I towel dry them paying attention to the mammary area ( good time to check for cracks or teeth marks which could lead to mastitis). My girls are releuctant to leave the pups for the first week or so....but after that they look forward to a leisurely swim in the afternoon. Never have had a problem.

You're on your own with this as far as I know. I never, ever allow my girls to swim until milk is drying up after the litter is 6 weeks. I know they want to swim but with light chemicals or salt pools or a pond with bacterias, it's a big chance.

Several repro vets have highly recommended against it. I listen and I use common sense along with my club friends.

As someone mentioned the cervix is still open also.

Don't take the chance OP.