Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Line breeding

I wanna get an advice. Would you breed a bitch to her grand sire or is that too close?

Re: Line breeding

What does "too" close mean? If your lines are clear, then it is not a problem per se. If you have issues, doubling up on them, whether a line breeding or outcross, would be a poor idea.

If you really want to know what you have, good and bad, do it. It's definitely a good line breeding if he was a good dog, with health clearances, working ability and conformation title. If he was a so so dog, then look elsewhere. What you get will tell you where you need to look in the future for sure.

I have and am very happy with the results. However most of the rest of the pedigree was an outcross. I will be adding the same dog into this pedigree a third time with the next generation, by breeding my Daughter/great grandaughter to a Grandson. I owned this particular dog so I knew him very well.

Thanks for your advice. This grandsire is a lovely dog. His hips are fair BUT his gets are all clear on hips and elbows. His pedigree is healthy, his siblings are all excellent and goods on hips so is the rest of his pedigree. His temperament is also nice.
Maybe I should use his son instead?

Actually if the pedigree is clear and you like what the grandsire produced, a granddaughter/grandsire breeding is the way to go.

Look at your bitch and the grandfather. You are only going to be doubling on their faults and their virtues, as you will not be bring anything new into the mix. You will be doubling on his fair hips, so I would want the bitch to have excellent hips.

And unless the grandfather is better than the granddaughter, what will you gain?

When I do a granddaughter/grandfather or grandson/grandmother breeding, I want the grandparent to be of exceptional quality both health wise, working ability, and conformation wise. Otherwise I look for a dog that will be able to help improve my bitch in the areas she needs improvement.

Good luck with your breeding no matter which way you go.

Breeding
Thanks for your advice. This grandsire is a lovely dog. His hips are fair BUT his gets are all clear on hips and elbows. His pedigree is healthy, his siblings are all excellent and goods on hips so is the rest of his pedigree. His temperament is also nice.
Maybe I should use his son instead?
Have you done echo dopplers on him, his get you kept and his granddaughter? If not, I highly recommend you do. All clears for TVD or any other cardiac ailments should give you great peace of mind.