Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
unusual question about genetic color

My doubt: in relation to genetic color a bbee dog acts as a tabula rasa? Eg if I mate a bbee girl to a bbEE boy would the bbee female able to determine the pitch of eyes and coat color of the puppies or this factor would be determined by the dominant chocolate dog?

Re: unusual question about genetic color

patricia
My doubt: in relation to genetic color a bbee dog acts as a tabula rasa? Eg if I mate a bbee girl to a bbEE boy would the bbee female able to determine the pitch of eyes and coat color of the puppies or this factor would be determined by the dominant chocolate dog?

Coat color would be determined by the bbEE boy. Since the puppies each inherit one allele for coat (E/e) and one for pigment (b/b), with black or dark coat (E) being dominate, then they would be all chocolate. The combo you put forth for your bitch bbee suggest she is a liver pigmented or non-black pigmented yellow (NBP). This is why I don't understand people who get uptight when breeding yellow to chocolate, it's easy to breed away from the NBP. Eye color is not so easy to predict. It really depends on what the parents have and what is behind them. It used to be that most chocolates had ugly yellow eyes. Headlights as I call them. Very harsh expression. Thankfully with breeding to yellows and black we see so many chocolates with a very pleasing eye color. They have also made tremendous strides in improving type in the chocolates as well.

I don't agree with the statement alot of chocolates use to have bad eye color. Think the reverse is true. My lines are over 35 years old and no light eyes. I breed choc to choc alot, have bred choc to yellow before. The wild eyed chocolates where we live came from field bred or those just in it for the money. You need to know what you are working with. And light eyes have also come down from black lines. So like I said, try to learn what is back in the pedigree. That goes for the pigment also.

Don't think my question has been clear. First point: if a dog bbee works as tabula rasa he could not determine whether the offspring would have dark/light brown eyes and dark/light coat, right? My bbee bitch comes from a line with dark eyes but do not think it will be the determinant of the eye color of the puppies. Therefore the color quality would be determined by the dominant dog. If the dominant dog is genetically from lines with clear eyes descendants have clear eyes, etc. The bbee girl have no role in determining the shade of eyes/coat.

Perhaps it would help if you could explain what you mean by tabula rasa, in this context. Since the dog in question is known to be bbee, he/she is not a blank slate - there are known genetic influences and each parent will contribute one half of the genetic make-up of any get. So - light/dark eyes, etc will and can be influenced by either parent.

What do you mean by tabula rasa?

patricia
Don't think my question has been clear. First point: if a dog bbee works as tabula rasa he could not determine whether the offspring would have dark/light brown eyes and dark/light coat, right? My bbee bitch comes from a line with dark eyes but do not think it will be the determinant of the eye color of the puppies. Therefore the color quality would be determined by the dominant dog. If the dominant dog is genetically from lines with clear eyes descendants have clear eyes, etc. The bbee girl have no role in determining the shade of eyes/coat.

Here is my doubt. My bbee bitch comes from a line of chocolate dogs with beautiful dark eyes. My fear is that by using a clear-eyed bbEE male that genetic trait will stand out because he is dominant. I used "tabula rasa" as a metaphor of empiricism - only know the result through trial and error - and because I think in relation to genetic color, she would be like a blank slate.