Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pregnant bitches and Benadryl

With all the bees buzzing around, I was wondering if it is safe for a pregnant bitch to take Benadryl for a bug bite, bee sting kinda thing? Thought I should be prepared just in case...
If not what would you be able to do for swelling or a reaction? Will ask my vet when I can as well.

Re: Pregnant bitches and Benadryl

Here is a good link for drugs that you can, and cannot use, for pregnant or nursing bitches http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=856

You can also make a poultice out of meat tenderizer by adding water to Adolph's Meat Tenderizers and applying the paste to the spot, or you can soak a green or black tea bag in hot water (let it cool) then apply to the sting. Both of these have worked for me.

In a severe case of anaphalaxis from an allergic or severe reaction to for example a bee bite, I personally would use benedryl. Then rush to vet or ER.

Benedryl is typically a benign drug but you should check with your vet about using it for a bred or pregnant bitch.

You would use it even though it appears on the list as something not to use on a pregnant bitch?

breeder
You would use it even though it appears on the list as something not to use on a pregnant bitch?
If you look at the times posted, that list was posted 4 minutes before my post. I had not seen it yet or prior.

My repro vet told me to use diphenhydramine in a serious emergency, pregnant or not. I did not repeat that because each vet has an opinion. My suggestion was for the OP to speak to their vet as they intend on doing.

Why are some of you looking for an argument for any reason?.......

Benadryl is safe for pregnant humans and safe for pregnant dogs. I use to give it on a human burn unit as if it were water. I gave it to pregnant women, infants, children,etc. It's a very safe drug. And yes, I've given it several times to pregnant bitches without any side effects.