Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Best brush to remove undercoat gently

What do you recommend for gentle brushing?

Is Zoom Groom any good?

Re: Best brush to remove undercoat gently

Without risk of damaging the topcoat? Undercoat Rake...there are several mfg...I have Oster ones.

I use a comb. The rakes can cut the coat.

Nancy Boyle
I use a comb. The rakes can cut the coat.

Not all rakes cut the coat. This type works very well and does not cut the coat:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/20647952?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015133773&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=17424419350&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

I use a comb. Best way to get the undercoat out without bowing hair all over the place.

I use a (double tooth) cat comb

Marjorie

Good stuff Marjorie! I'll look for one of those. I was using a regular comb, but thought it must be very low tech and that there must be something better, so I thought I'd ask.

I've used a slicker brush in the past, but those are harsh on the skin.

Best brush to remove undercoat gently

Thank you ... I was just asking someone about this very subject!

I use a metal comb and slicker dog brush for the first week of seasonal shedding. It takes a couple weeks to get the bulk of undercoat out but to help it along, I give our dogs a bath and work the remaining undercoat out using my metal comb. I hate the looks of my chocolates when they start blowing coats but when I do this routine of bathing towards the end of shedding seasonal coat, their dark chocolate coat comes back in so much quicker.

Lablover
Marjorie

Good stuff Marjorie! I'll look for one of those. I was using a regular comb, but thought it must be very low tech and that there must be something better, so I thought I'd ask.

I've used a slicker brush in the past, but those are harsh on the skin.

Cat combs are for cat coat. I wouldn't use it unless told to by a multi-generational, very experienced breeder-handler. I use a wide tooth rake and rubber horse curry brush after the rake but I'm only breeding for almost 20 years. I'm sure there are other methods that are prolly even better at not breaking topcoat but it works for me. I never see damage to topcoat. My way may Not Be The Best Way not to damage coat but my labs are pretty heavily, coarse coated to begin with, Not Open Coated or Fluffy.

BTW, Joy seems to have some excellent ideas.

Best bet OP is to go to specialties and speak to the seasoned, long-time show breeders whose dogs have nice coat in the ring. Experience does make a big difference even with proper brushing.

In my 30 years of experience, the best tool for me has been the rake. It does not break or cut the coat, it merely gathers the loose undercoat. I also like pin brushes that have the steel tips. This does great on removing both of the dead coats, top and under. I think some are confusing the rake with a shedding type blade or the furminator. Both of these tools tend to break the coat. The Zoom Groom is made by Kong right? If it is the one I'm thinking about it works much the same way as the rubber horse curry brush and is a good brush too. I just prefer the rake as it gets out much more undercoat and faster.

I prefer the undercoat rake, wide tooth and a greyhound comb after to get loose hairs. I like to do a good bath when the coat is showing those tufts coming out of the shoulder and rearend. When soaped up for the second time I use the undercoat rake gently and tons of dead coat will come off. Then I use my fingers and loosen it up around the neck, chest and all through the body some more. Rinse really well and then towel well. Finish it off with the High Velocity dryer and watch the snowstorm! I usually repeat this again in 2 weeks and maybe a 3rd time until it's all gone.