Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One day old pup with diarrhea

Oh boy! Abby had her singleton by c-section yesterday. A 19 ounce boy. This morning he has diarrhea. I have never experienced this before. Abby's milk has not come down, but the puppy did nurse yesterday and durning the night. This morning he seems agitated but will not go on a nipple. Have you seen diarrhea in a day old pup? Any suggestions? The vet does not open for another half hour.

Re: One day old pup with diarrhea

Sounds like you need to keep him warm inside your shirt next to your skin until you get to the vet. Maybe he's fading a bit, so might need some supportive care and antibiotic. Perhaps tube feeding. Did he get any colostrum? Does he sound raspy, or gurgly?

I had a one day old pup with diarrhea. The puppy was 2nd born in a large litter and ate too much. Her stomach was huge and the diarrhea resolved in a day. This might not be what's happening with your pup. Hope everything is ok. Good luck.

Not 1 day but closer to 6 days -

If it continues:

I gave Bene-bac for 5 days and it cleared up. It is safe for new borns. Talk to your vet about dosage.

1 day diarrhea is usually due to too much fat in the mother's milk. Not a bad thing. it'll go away as the puppy's GI track gets used to it. make sure he stays warm. agitated but not hungry sounds like a healthy puppy that had enough to eat.
oh and your vet won't know that unless you got a repro or breeder vet.

I am sorry to have to tell you that the puppy had an intussusception. It is a very difficult surgery on an adult, and really not possible on a day old puppy. Now I will try to keep Abby happy and healthy after losing her singleton.

Joan:

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Linda @ Staghorn

Oh how sad. So sorry for your loss. Prayers your girl gets thru this soon.

Very very sorry on this outcome. I was away for a couple of days and just saw this.

Joan
I am sorry to have to tell you that the puppy had an intussusception. It is a very difficult surgery on an adult, and really not possible on a day old puppy. Now I will try to keep Abby happy and healthy after losing her singleton.
I suspected something was wrong but not to this degree. I'm incredibly sorry for your loss Joan. Lotsa XOXOXOXO's for Miss Abby.

Thanks to everyone who wrote here and privately. Losing a beautiful little puppy is very sad and I appreciate all your support.