Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Supreme Court rules: genes cannot be patented

This is a decision on human genes, but I have to wonder what that will mean for Optigen. Testing services can I am sure still be marketable, but the patent on the test may be in question.
http://www.pubpat.org/sct-amp-gvr.htm
"The Public Patent Foundation (PUBAT) and the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) challenged the patents held by Myriad Genetics on the BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes, which a divided 2-1 Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit last year ruled were valid (although it ruled other challenged patents on methods of genetic diagnosis were invalid).

'Nobody ‘invents’ genes, so no one should be able to claim ownership of them,' said Daniel B. Ravicher, executive director of PUBPAT. “We are not talking about a new drug or a new tool to fight cancer. We are talking about a genetic marker that occurs naturally in the human body. That cannot, and should not, be patented.”
"

actual US Supreme Ct opinion, was Re: Supreme Court rules: genes cannot be patented

Here's a link to the actual opinion from the Supreme Court:

Opinion - Supreme Court of the United States
www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12pdf/12-398_8njq.pdf

What are the nuances between creating vs testing for a gene in this opinion? Peggy Stevens, can you weigh in, with your background in genetics? I am just trying to understand this and how it applies to my life. Thanks.

actual US Supreme Ct opinion, was Re: Supreme Court rules: genes cannot be patented

Here's a link to an interesting article analyzing the implications of the decision. The arguments sure sound familiar!
http://healthyliving.msn.com/health-wellness/supreme-court-rules-that-human-genes-cant-be-patented?ocid=anshlth11

Re: Supreme Court rules: genes cannot be patented

I do hope this means DDC will be back in the EIC testing business again. Maybe they will develop a pra test too.
They are so easy to work with, and their prices were always decent with a quick turn-around.

Re: Supreme Court rules:

Sure Hope So
I do hope this means DDC will be back in the EIC testing business again. Maybe they will develop a pra test too.
They are so easy to work with, and their prices were always decent with a quick turn-around.
Me too! Some competition may make all testing centers lower their prices if this ruling applies.