Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Force Fetch question

I have a dog which I've been training for a family. They are scheduled to pick him up on Monday. I Force Fetched and obedience trained him. He would do a walking fetch, go to pile, etc. Suddenly yesterday he just stopped fetching anything. He loved running out for dummies, etc. He was so consistent. No matter how I give the ear pinch or even tried a little collar pressure, he won't fetch anything. I have no clue what happened. I've FF probably 15 dogs by now and have never had this.

I contacted family and they'll give their response later. He may go home for awhile and come back or stay here for a longer time. Ideas? I know I can't fix it by Monday, but cannot figure out when he's been dependable with retrieving for 2 months, why he's just shut down.

Re: Force Fetch question

I'd question first, his health. 2nd, I'd ask how many live birds he's being rewarded with. FF is a balancing act imo. Go too far in the one direction, it'll shut a softer (and often smarter) dog down.

Re: Force Fetch question

It's so sudden the way you describe it, sounds like a health issue. Check his mouth, palate and teeth, under tongue, etc. how's he eating?