Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
hip dysplaysia

Does anyone know anything about Lyme disease & hip dysplasia? I have a bitch who had awesome confirmation at 1. 5 to having moderate hip displaysia. I knew something was off with her rare legs back in January.. but I never I my wildest dreams thought she had developed bad hips. I'm so devastated!

Re: hip dysplaysia

"Awesome Confirmation" at 1.5 years has nothing to do with hip dysplaysia. I have to wonder why if you knew in January she was having problems in her rear you just now found out about her hip issue's. Lyme does affect the joints, but not over night, something seems amiss about your post. I can't believe she had issue's and now you are blaming it on Lyme. Was she tested?
Please let us know what your final diagnosis is when you figure it out, 6 months after you said there was an issue seems careless to me.

All JMHO, best of luck to your girl.

I do not know the answer to your question. Here is one experience. I had a similar concern. My puppy at 8 months had lyme (she suddenly went from active to nearly paralyzed with pain). Rush to vet, and treated. She started limping at 5 months, the vet couldn't figure out what it was, until she had symptoms. fast forward to hip Xray - I was concerned, and wondered how or if having lyme for several months would affect outcome on hips - she came back with "Good" with no symptoms or positive lyme tests since - she is four years now. Good luck.

Why does most every question on this forum turn into negative feedback? A question was asked, not your opinion on how fast they should have reacted, just a simple question. In 45 years I don't think that I have seen such disrespect and negative feedback. I don't believe anyone is asking for a lecture, just a little help!!!!!!!!

the vet could have given them a little help 6 MONTHS earlier, it is way after the fact now, they need to own up to their error and hopefully have learned and move on!!

It is nice to see that after 45 years I am the most negative you have seen. LOL! Your so funny!

again JMO!!!!!!!!

Not just you... There is plenty of venom on this forum... Most want to help, but a few would rather let everyone know how smart they are and how dumb the person with the problem is.... These forums are to help not become judge and jury verdicts!

I dont disagree with what you say, it just sounds like your talking down to the person.

In answer to your question, Why, the reason some people become so nasty on an anonymous forum is pretty much the same reason some dogs want to fight everything that walks past so long as they are safely behind a fence.
Bullies are just cowards who feel safe.

Well said......

This is why I hardly ever go on this forum do to the bashing which isn't needed! Thanks for your negativity! Please don't bother to reply back because this is the last time I will ever be on this forum! Some people just think they know it all and nothing bad happens them! Maybe this forum should be shut down on a permanent basis!!

The reality is you messed up! Should have been concerned 6 MONTHS ago, not now that she is 2 and failed her finals, so mych for breeding! Your concern should have been addressed in January not this late in the game. You never said was she tested for Lyme? I am guessing not, but a thing to blame it on. Lyme would not cause both hips to be moderatly dysplastic at the same time, it effects different joints differently, perhpas go online and research it before you make it the cause. Failed finals are just that FAILED, move on and learn from this expierence.

Not bashing, not talking down to just addressing the whole issue presented. I see no need to wrap it up fancy with a bow, the facts are the facts, yours don't measure up.

again JMHO

Just answer the OP's question, no need to criticize their post. Who do you think you are? Why do you think we should care about your criticism???

JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION OR MOVE ON, IS THAT SO HARD??? Such heartless, mean, mean people.

Some studies I have read suggest that Lyme disease symptoms can mirror those of hip dysplasia. Since you have had your dog's hips evaluated, it could be reasonable to conclude that it does not have Lyme disease. That being said, if you are concerned about Lyme and your dog has been in areas prone to ticks, and/or you've found ticks on your dog, it would be a good idea to have your dog tested for it.

Regarding the hip dysplasia diagnosis, it is heartbreaking but not the end of the world. Your dog can still lead an active life, in moderation and can be kept comfortable. I too have a dog with moderate dysplasia; I keep his weight down, walk him regularly for exercise and keep his mind busy learning skills that his body can do.

Good luck.