Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sunflower Seeds

I have an opened bag of sunflower seeds on my porch that I was using to fill the bird feeders. This morning I saw my 11 year old Labbie-girl happily munching away out of it. (You know, the poor dear is never given enough to eat!)

Does anyone know if seeds intended for bird feed are treated with anything that could be harmful to our dogs?

Thanks!

Re: Sunflower Seeds

Off the top of my head I can think of three better places to ask rather than an anonymous forum:
The manufacturer
Your vet
Poison control

My guess is that if a bird can get the seed in it's beak and crack it and eat the inside, that it can't be poisonous for animals.

I've never had a problem with my dogs who regularly feed on bird seed. Makes their poop colorful, but never had a problem...but then I've never been worried about it either.

Bears eat the seed from feeders, bags, and off the ground so it isn't poisonous but I do think it could cause issues with the intestines (blockage or the reverse) so keep an eye on her.

My 5 y/o, Conner, accompanies me on feeding rounds every morning and night. We feed BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds), scratch (mix of corn, wheat, and other grains) and pellets to all our chickens and turkeys. Plus the goat pellets and the rabbits pellets - all of which get cleaned up by Conner or Eli (10 y/o Lab).

None of it is toxic, even with shells on, to the dogs, but depending on how much they eat, I would be concerned about blockage. My guys don't get enough to cause any problems - just whatever happens to fall out of the feeders - but if your girl was happily chowing down, I'd watch her.

Like someone said above, it does make so for colorful poop in the yard, tho!